May challenge - Alien excavation

Deadline for entry:

April challenge Voting open!

Dave's Digitals

25 Jun 2015 08:12 #11490 by kazky
Replied by kazky on topic Dave's Digitals
aww Dave the Grumpet is adorable!

my favourite it the one with the Grumpet not on her shoulder, it looks like she's kind of just come across a magical little creature.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

25 Jun 2015 17:05 #11497 by Digital Dave
Replied by Digital Dave on topic Dave's Digitals
Thanks, Kaz. :) I think that's also what I like most about that one too. The fact that it gives the impression she came upon him, as you stated, and not appearing as more of a pet. ... And to be honest, the more I think about it, I think the one main thing I really like about the other version is simply getting to show off the feet idea I had. ... But who knows, maybe with a little thought process, I might be able to get those in still? Maybe having him reaching out and taking something from her other hand? :)

Thanks again.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

26 Jun 2015 20:02 #11531 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Dave's Digitals
The first one does have the better story element but all those feet and hands in the other pic give more life and action to the creature as if it's a nimble, frisky, wild animal twisting and struggling around and never keeping still. If you can mix that personality with the other narrative then that would be ideal.

26 Jun 2015 22:43 #11538 by Digital Dave
Thanks, Valence. I plan to do just that, or at least give it a shot. :) Just hope I can pull if off, because I do love the feet and feel it makes him that much more unique. Unfortunately I had to pull a double shift yesterday so I couldn't fool around with it yet. And since I'm already slated to work from tomorrow evening through sometime Sunday, I'm not sure how much time I will get to work on it this weekend?

Additionally, in case anyone has any thoughts, I kind of hit a wall when thinking of what type of tail he should have. I haven't envisioned anything yet that I like, but also plan to sketch out some ideas, once I get the body worked up proper. ... I at least would like to come up with something that fits him well, or even add to his uniqueness. Like I don't think a short, stubby tail or something like a fluffy fox tail would fit. I'm not even sure if something like a Ringtail's tail would work either, being somewhat fluffy itself? Though if I'm not mistaken, they do use it to assist with climbing? :unsure:

Thanks again

27 Jun 2015 04:47 - 27 Jun 2015 05:14 #11539 by Digital Dave
After staring at the screen uneventfully for a couple hours earlier, I suddenly got an idea for the tail, as well as the scene itself. Though I still have to work on his limbs some more, I think I'm pretty happy with the way the layout is proceeding now, and hope to get back to it soon.

Also have to admit, the Grumpet is already becoming one of my favorite creatures. ;)

Attachments:

27 Jun 2015 08:57 #11540 by kazky
Replied by kazky on topic Dave's Digitals
oh yeah that works really well Dave, I agree about the grumpet, he's so gorgeous :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

27 Jun 2015 11:30 #11542 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Dave's Digitals
Cool critter Dave. I think the main of hair running down the neck onto the back needs to move to the right a bit (approximately half way between where it is now and the right shoulder) in order to look centered on it's back.

28 Jun 2015 14:09 #11551 by crankshaft
Replied by crankshaft on topic Dave's Digitals
Cool creature you got there Dave! Composition looks good also. However, it could just be me but I'm finding it very hard/unnatural to understand the way the neck is turned almost 180 in relation to the rest of his body. Maybe try angling the neck upwards a bit more towards the woman's face? That would also mean opening the canvas more and moving the woman up higher.

29 Jun 2015 02:36 #11555 by Digital Dave
Thanks, everyone. ... And yep Banj, I was hoping to use the mane to help define the spine line, but also realized it was off when I viewed it again from my work. Thanks.

Well, was pretty wiped out today from working, but also a bit banged up from when I myself wiped out. :blink: I took a pretty hard hit Friday evening at work, when I slipped and fell getting into a storm drain structure. ... I was able to catch myself somewhat, with the help of my division chief who was with me, before hitting bottom. But I did enough damage on the way though. :lol:

But I did spend a few minutes just straightening up the mane some and played around with the girl's face some more. Just trying to get her lined up better, as far as her line of sight. ...still not too happy just yet.

Attachments:

29 Jun 2015 06:31 - 29 Jun 2015 06:34 #11557 by CherryGraphics
Replied by CherryGraphics on topic Dave's Digitals
This is just gorgeous Dave!

I'm just a bit puzzled about the hand that holds the grumpet :D Is it still the hand of the woman?

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance