May challenge - Alien excavation

Deadline for entry:

April challenge Voting open!

Dave's Digitals

31 Jan 2015 17:20 #8605 by crankshaft
Replied by crankshaft on topic Dave's Digitals
Awesome stuff Dave! The picture has a good range of values and great depth.There's a sense of story as well. Composition wise it looks balanced. Although a wip, is the focal the church in the middle? Or the woman with her baby? I'm going to assume its the church and if that's the case maybe try decreasing contrast around the closer planes including the woman. You could try just lighting the woman's and baby's face and shrouding their bodies in shadow to help pronounce the night time scene.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

31 Jan 2015 23:24 - 01 Feb 2015 19:42 #8622 by Digital Dave
Replied by Digital Dave on topic Dave's Digitals

I like the building design - it reminds me of stave churches (I always did love that architecture!)

Thanks, Charlotte. You know I've heard of stave churches, but never really looked into them until you mentioned them. They are pretty cool indeed, and I love the architecture of them as well! I spent quite a bit of time this morning, looking at a few of them, and think I would really enjoy doing an up close image of one, just to put in all those details! :)

Thanks, Crank. Yeah, changing up the light angles, and then darkening it up as I did, does indeed make it look like a night scene, or at least late evening, but I will be lighting things back up as I go. Also still figuring out things as I go. :)

Well, I actually decided to pull out the Felines pic and fool about with it some, just to take a break and come back with fresh eyes on the new piece. ... Mostly worked on her face, and some of the surrounding area. But struggling a little. After working up her eyes some more, I'm finding it a little hard to not muddy up her skin while working on the tones.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D
Attachments:

31 Jan 2015 23:30 - 31 Jan 2015 23:44 #8623 by Digital Dave
Here's a close up of the face. (And yep, I've only done the lashes and brow on her right eye - will do the other one next) ... But I think I'm trying to pull out the highlights too much, while smoothing out her skin? Will probably have to darken it back up some, and give it back some tone she had.

EDIT: Well, not sure, but me thinks Hal may not have liked the original image title? (which was simply - 'Felinescloseup' But since then, I have tried to post a couple times but for some reason it's not letting me now? The size & res were both within the limits, so will have to post later I guess. ... Damn you Hal! :shakefist:

01 Feb 2015 05:21 #8625 by Digital Dave
Last update for tonight. Spent a couple hours working on it, mostly trying to clean up her skin tone. Though more is needed.

Attachments:

01 Feb 2015 08:03 - 01 Feb 2015 17:44 #8626 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Dave's Digitals
Maybe your next picture will be of a stave shuch church and vikings!? :woohoo:

Your cat lady is coming along wonderfully, too. Love her face!

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

01 Feb 2015 15:54 #8637 by crankshaft
Replied by crankshaft on topic Dave's Digitals
Looking good Dave! I think the image is too dark heavy because of the cat in the bottom right corner. Maybe try putting a darker of version of the other cat on the left side corner? Also I think the background behind her head is too detailed, maybe try blurring them a bit to provide more relief? Hope this helps.

01 Feb 2015 19:45 #8648 by Digital Dave
Thanks C&C. ... Yeah, a stave church with Vikings does sound quite cool. :) - And Crank, he will be lightened up some as I work my way to the foreground. I wasn't sure if I wanted to attempt putting a black panther there when I started it, but we'll see how it works out.

02 Feb 2015 03:11 #8653 by Digital Dave
Well, not knowing if I would have to work snow duty today, I stayed in and just played with the new pic. Mostly working in some of the BG, as well as pushing out the values for the lighting.

Attachments:

02 Feb 2015 11:07 #8662 by Domtopia
Replied by Domtopia on topic Dave's Digitals
This is turning out really good Mr. Dave. I really like the dark atmosphere. It's confining and creates a lovely story telling tension.

You have done an excellent job on the depth of the piece. It's almost sculptural! The complex texture in the foreground is very effective too.

Everything's on the right!!!

It's like driving abroad!

02 Feb 2015 23:06 #8682 by Kodabble
Replied by Kodabble on topic Dave's Digitals
I second Dom's input. Looking good.