May challenge - Alien excavation

Deadline for entry:

April challenge Voting open!

Dave's Digitals

28 Jan 2015 08:37 #8493 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Dave's Digitals
This reminds me a bit of that other image you did with a child uhm ogre I think it might have been, hiding... or am I confusing things with the child ogre you painted who was playing? :P Well you did one with a child (with a doll) hiding in the foreground I think, and with a home being wrecked in the background... This has the same feeling to it.

If you want to consider other options, this could be an "unfortunate woman" trying to deliver her baby to safety without being seen herself... No need for enemies in the background then... But on the other hand maybe the building should come off as a church or an orphanage. Just a possible story I came to think of when seeing the woman and baby. :)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

28 Jan 2015 13:25 - 28 Jan 2015 13:28 #8497 by Digital Dave
Replied by Digital Dave on topic Dave's Digitals
Thanks, Cherry. I think that's what I was thinking too, and why the first one didn't appear to be working as well to me. So with the second one, I tried to push the structure back further to create more depth. Glad to hear you agree. Thanks! :)

Yeah Charlotte, I did indeed think of that particular pic, titled Hush when I was sketching this out. I even thought about changing it, not wanting to be repetitive? But still ended up staying with it thinking it might still be ok and to see how it works out. What I liked about that pic, was that it allowed the viewer come up with the story, and not having it simply spelled out. ... And I really like your suggestions too! I wasn't too crazy about having to put in a bunch of enemies or people to help tell the story, but thought maybe I would need a few to do just that. (and still might?) ... But I would really like to keep it mostly environmental in design with minimal characters and the thought of a church or cathedral way back in the woods, is just too damn good to pass up! :woohoo: Thanks!

Now I just wish I wasn't stuck here at work, so I could start working on this! :shakefist:

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

28 Jan 2015 17:40 #8508 by Charlotte
Glad to be of service :silly:

28 Jan 2015 17:43 #8510 by Digital Dave
Haha... 1-800-charlotte :lol:

30 Jan 2015 00:31 - 30 Jan 2015 00:37 #8559 by Digital Dave
Well, spent a few minutes just throwing down some shading, just to see how it might look. Also not sure about the new structure either. That may change? Threw it in quickly, and not sure if it fits? ... Either that or maybe modify it some. :)

Attachments:

30 Jan 2015 08:25 #8562 by Charlotte
I think it's leaning somewhat towards the left... Also both the woman and the church is now facing left - perhaps the building should face the opposite direction? Just a thought though - composition isn't my forte :P

30 Jan 2015 12:19 #8564 by Domtopia
Replied by Domtopia on topic Dave's Digitals
Have you tried flipping it Mr. Dave?

Sometimes the composition reads better the opposite way. If it still looks to have a directional bias, then you could do as Charlotte suggested and reorient some of the objects.

It's coming along nicely.

Everything's on the right!!!

It's like driving abroad!

30 Jan 2015 19:30 #8578 by Digital Dave
Thanks C&D. ... If as in flipping, you mean the image itself, Dom? Yes, I generally will flip an image repeatedly throughout the process itself, to see what stands out. But have not flipped just the 'structure' as Charlotte suggest above. But I will indeed give that a go when I get home from work tonight to see if that helps. ... Only thing I've done was quickly sketch it in, and did resize it some, thinking it was too large. But Charlottes observation of having them both facing the same, may indeed be why I'm not too keen with it at the moment? Not to mention, the bridge is also in the same orientation. ... Thanks again!

31 Jan 2015 04:21 #8595 by Digital Dave
Well, I went ahead and flipped the structure, and I think it does fit better. (also straightened it some too) Though, I immediately decided to not have the light source coming from the entire BG, but to have it coming in from the left side, (mostly because I didn't want the building's entire front in shadow. ... So I started darkening and moving the shadows some, as well as adding some highlights. - It may be a little dark at the moment, but that's due to me going over it so much, and I will lighten more.

Attachments:

31 Jan 2015 11:02 #8600 by Charlotte
I like the building design - it reminds me of stave churches (I always did love that architecture!)