May challenge - Alien excavation

Deadline for entry:

April challenge Voting open!

Dave's Digitals

25 Jan 2015 05:53 - 25 Jan 2015 05:54 #8366 by Digital Dave
Replied by Digital Dave on topic Dave's Digitals
Well, I did end up getting to spend some time today and got some artwork in. Basically wanted to play around with doing some eyes, but also wanted to work on shadow building to help speed up the painting process. But couldn't help putting faces with those eyes. ... didn't work these all the way up, but was having fun, so did work some of them further. :)

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

27 Jan 2015 15:15 #8454 by hobbyhorse
Replied by hobbyhorse on topic Dave's Digitals
Oh Dave, sorry to here of all the health issues..both for your mother and pup. I've been trying to catch up with things going on here since I was busy through the holidays and finally have some time to jump on the computer.

Hope the new year finds things settling down a bit. Problems always come in groups.

I Know the feeling of looking at a blank screen or sketchbook page and not have anything come to mind...not even inspiration.
I have recently found a site that might be of help. It is not a new site, since it looks like it's been up and running from 2011, but there is very useful information for both traditional artists as well as digital artists. It's called CtrlPaint.com by Matt Kohr. It's a series of short videos that cover all sorts of art related themes, everything from drawing, perspective, coloring and how to do this digitally. There are also assignments to help practice the techniques, and resources for generating ideas to paint. Check it out, it's free, though he does have some 'books' that go in depth on certain topics like coloring greyscale or vehicle design, that are $10.
I hope i have a little bit more time to paint with the holidays out of the way.

27 Jan 2015 18:30 #8457 by Digital Dave
Thanks kindly, Lori. Will check that site out. - And yep, things definitely seem to be looking up some with the new year so far. :) ... My Mom's been progressing pretty good to this point, (maybe even better then was first anticipated?) and we hope she continues to do so for the next couple months while she's still in rehab. - And Shelby is doing better as well. The worst thing with her is trying to keep her down and not let her run around yet with her younger brother & sister. She's definitely feeling better and thinks she can just go back to what she was doing before the torn ACL. But we were told she shouldn't be allowed to run and jump until around April, and to continue taking her out only on a leash. ... But I know once April gets here, she will not be the only one that will be happy! Having to keep walking her in the cold, wet weather we have been having, has not been fun for anyone. And with my son & I working snow shifts off & on for the past couple weeks, my wife has been the one stuck with this most of the time. :)

Well, thanks again, and look forward to seeing some new works from ya. :) Take care.

27 Jan 2015 19:10 #8461 by Domtopia
Replied by Domtopia on topic Dave's Digitals
That big tooth guy is really quite scary!

Nice work with all of the rendering in these. Some of it is really smooth and soft looking.

Everything's on the right!!!

It's like driving abroad!

27 Jan 2015 20:33 #8468 by Digital Dave
Thanks, Dom. Just wanted to do something different with the last one, which he was. ... I also did a quick sketch of an idea that popped into my head late last night. But still not sure what else will be involved? Was quite tired at the moment. :)

Attachments:

27 Jan 2015 21:20 #8473 by Domtopia
Replied by Domtopia on topic Dave's Digitals
Do yourself a favour and paint something other than snow. Seems it's all anyone is talking about these days!

Looking forward to seeing this come along!

Everything's on the right!!!

It's like driving abroad!

27 Jan 2015 23:04 #8478 by microscopi
Replied by microscopi on topic Dave's Digitals
Hey Dave, character sketches looks great, you can tell the emotion each one is feeling by their expressions you captured that pretty well, shading looks really well done. The new pic looks like she's definitely trying to hide from something/someone.

27 Jan 2015 23:46 #8481 by Kodabble
Replied by Kodabble on topic Dave's Digitals
Enjoyed the doddles.
The current sketch looks like a great start for a full painting and like miroscopi she appears to be hiding the child from someone or something. Now the question is what? Maybe the big tooth guy that scared Dom :silly: !

28 Jan 2015 01:45 #8487 by Digital Dave
Appreciate it guys, and yeah Kodabble, who wouldn't hide from the big tooth guy. :) ... But yes, you are all correct that the idea was to have her hiding from someone. And as I was sketching her, the first thing I thought was maybe having her hiding a baby instead. Though I wasn't sure if I could create a BG that would work well? I started sketching something out tonight, but for some reason didn't think it was working, so quickly changed it up some. But now don't know which is better, or if either of them work? Would like to know what you all think, and also might have to reduce her some to work. But was actually hoping to keep her closer up if possible. Would also be adding some baddies of some sort. ... Thanks again.

Original thought

Second try

Attachments:

28 Jan 2015 07:41 #8491 by CherryGraphics
Replied by CherryGraphics on topic Dave's Digitals
Hey dave :) I like the second sketch a bit more just because it has more scales in it. In the first version all is the same size, the woman and the trees and the cave, the second is way more exciting I think.
To keep her closer you might scale her a bit more and put her a bit more left on the canvas but in my opinion she's close enough - i wouldn't cut off the canvas :lol:

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance