April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Dave's Digitals

21 Jun 2015 13:41 #11436 by crankshaft
Replied by crankshaft on topic Dave's Digitals
Looking good Dave! The eyes are really well done! As for the tiger and panther pic I think blurring the background forest to reduce noise might help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Jun 2015 19:51 - 22 Jun 2015 01:55 #11439 by Digital Dave
Replied by Digital Dave on topic Dave's Digitals
Thanks Crank, I will definitely look at that once I finish up the front end. :)

Here's a sleepy update for this one. Simply adding values still. Also don't think I will be working this up too much more since I'm mostly using it for practice.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D
Attachments:

22 Jun 2015 00:19 - 22 Jun 2015 02:05 #11446 by Digital Dave
Well, I did work on it some more today and think I will leave it as is for now. Actually just feel good doing something, but also just feel like creating at the moment. :)

Edit: Did go back and make the hair a little smaller. It was a bit too puffy.

Attachments:

23 Jun 2015 01:42 #11459 by Digital Dave
Quickly roughed together an idea I had tonight.

Attachments:

23 Jun 2015 13:33 #11463 by hobbyhorse
Replied by hobbyhorse on topic Dave's Digitals
Glad surgery went well...stretched out? oh well the nylon cord reinforcement should work.

I like how the cat piece is coming...did it have a title and I just forgot? I see what you mean on the tummy area and it is close to being a tangent but perhaps that is because the shadow follows the contour of the panther and not the shape of her body. Change that and it might read better without doing a complete revision.

Also find that the paws on all the cats except the left 'lion' need some attention. They all bluntly end in a straight line. Most animals have longer middle toes. Take a look at your pups paws for examples.
Also agree that a slight blurring of the background foliage will direct the attentions to the focal point.
Like the face study of the elf. How do you get the hair? It has a feathery appearance like the neck feathers of a chicken...nice effect.

24 Jun 2015 01:28 - 24 Jun 2015 02:10 #11472 by Digital Dave
Thanks, I hope the added support helps too. :) And yep, always called that image simply Felines.

Funny you mentioned the hair. I was basically practicing doing eyes, but simply threw something in for hair. As you can see in the attachment, I'm rolling in PS brushes now, meaning I'm up to 20. :lol: Even though I don't think I've used half of them. :) ... The square brush shown on top right, is what I use 99% of the time. (what I also used to block in the hair) But the four I show examples of, was found in a brush pack a while back that was simply named 'fur pack' I believe? ... I just used the one shown bottom left to do some quick side-burn hair, and then enlarged it and along with the bottom right brush, quickly went over the blocked in hair, just to add some highlights. :)

Attachments:

24 Jun 2015 05:51 #11476 by CherryGraphics
Replied by CherryGraphics on topic Dave's Digitals
The eyes of the girl with the big ears :lol: look great! With depth and life and all. :)

the sketch with the ... dragon? has a nice impression and feeling. Somehow familiar even if there's a woman holding a dragon. :)

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance

24 Jun 2015 14:17 - 24 Jun 2015 14:18 #11477 by Digital Dave
Thanks Cherry. :)

Yeah, when I started sketching her out I envisioned her to be looking at a 'creature' of sorts either on her shoulder or similar, but I really didn't know what? ... And as cliche as it is, I got to thinking maybe a small dragon or maybe even iguana? But I actually had another idea pop in my head on the way to work this morning and decided to change it, to something more 'loveable'.(Though I've always liked my reptiles, I do enjoy the cuddly creatures) :)

So the idea's in my head, just hope it doesn't fall out & get lost before I can get it home tonight! :lol:

24 Jun 2015 19:42 #11481 by Domtopia
Replied by Domtopia on topic Dave's Digitals
Wow Dave. You have steady hands!! Even your arrows look good!!

Everything's on the right!!!

It's like driving abroad!

25 Jun 2015 02:01 - 25 Jun 2015 02:06 #11487 by Digital Dave
Haha... Thanks, Dom. - Funny, I always feel I can't write smoothly on the tablet. :lol:

Well unfortunately I didn't have a whole lot of time tonight, but I was able to quickly sketch my idea down anyway. Only thing is, I then had other ideas start popping in! :huh: ... Ok, so my original idea was a short-haired creature named a Grumpet. Probably so named for the grumpy expression they appear to normally have. :lol: - Ok, so my original thought was to have him facing the girl showing him from the back, but with his head turned to the side. (which will still need some adjustment, but I just threw it together to show the thought) and of course he would have to be on something such as a tree branch. (and adjustments would include getting his limbs in proper form & size.)

But as soon as I did this, my mind immediately started wondering how he might look having him climbing from her shoulder? Then I envisioned him having these furry, somewhat over-sized, unique climbing feet. :blink: But now I'm stuck. Not knowing which one I actually like now? - I think the first one has a nice layout overall for an image, but the second one seems to give it something.. different? More expression? Personality? I can't say at the moment. Hoping someone here might have some thoughts on it? (And the second one might allow me to crop it some, enlarging the characters some?)

Attachments: