May challenge - Alien excavation

Deadline for entry:

April challenge Voting open!

Dave's Digitals

29 Jun 2015 18:08 #11560 by Digital Dave
Replied by Digital Dave on topic Dave's Digitals
Thanks, Cherry. :) And yeah, I've been going back and forth on the hand. I've wanted her to be touching (petting?) him from my first thoughts on this image, but haven't fooled with it much since to see if I can make it look right? But If I can, I would like to keep it in there somehow? ... I tried simply removing it, but can't convince myself that it looks right, or that it doesn't fit my initial vision. (to me at least) ... I actually took the day off today just to rest up some, and just spent a few moments playing around the girl's pose & expression some. (Hope it's better?) I also moved the hand just to try a different position. Does anyone think it would look better in this position, or the original?

Thanks in advance,

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29 Jun 2015 18:54 #11562 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Dave's Digitals
I would maybe expand the canvas slightly as Crankshaft suggested, and move her over to give her space to get her arms in.

Attachments:

30 Jun 2015 00:30 - 30 Jun 2015 01:50 #11564 by Digital Dave
Thanks, Banj. I definitely see what ya mean, looking at your PO. - Funny thing is, I've actually been bumping the two closer, trying not to open the area between them too much, for fear of creating too much dead-space in the middle. But I'm sure I can work with it now, seeing your PO. I also like the way you framed her back in with the tree on the right. I was actually thinking of doing the same, since it looked odd just having wood on the left. But been only working on the characters so far. But immediately liked the results in yours, so I know I want to now. ... So, here's a quick update utilizing some of the above suggestions. I mostly just cut and paste here and there (so it may look sloppy) and then I did make some minor changes as I went, to which some will need additional work.

Appreciate all the input on this so far, and if I could impose some more, I'm now also not sure if I should have him eying the fruit as I've had it, or would it be better for him to be making eye contact with the woman now? I have attached a second image with only this change if any of you wouldn't mind giving me your thoughts on it.

Thanks again :) ... Edit: Sorry, didn't mean to keep the dashed lines on there, since I just use them as a guide while I work, but maybe it's easier to see what I mean this way?.

Attachments:

30 Jun 2015 07:44 #11569 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Dave's Digitals
I think I'd go with the one where he looks at the fruit. Combined with his grumpy look, when he looks at the woman instead it gives the impression that he doesn't really trust or like her much. He's looking a bit cynical, that grumpet :P

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

30 Jun 2015 09:45 #11572 by Banj
I prefer him looking at her, myself. I guess it all comes down to what the story is there and what you are trying to convey. Same with the distance between them, I thought about moving her closer when I did that P.O. but if he's a wild animal then he's probably likely to be cautious of strange women in lakes handing out swords giving him fruit in the woods.

30 Jun 2015 10:06 #11574 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Dave's Digitals
True, but he's not cautious enough (or wild enough) to bite her other hand.... She is allowed to touch him after all so that to me suggests he's not all that wild... More like a pet who likes to climb the trees in the garden.... :)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

30 Jun 2015 11:58 #11577 by Digital Dave
Yeah, that was my first thought too when I shifted his eyes to meet hers, Charlotte. That he then appeared un-trusting or suspicious of her. (Unless I was to make him smiling instead that is :) ) One of the reasons I had him looking at the fruit was to simply help direct the viewer some. Her looking at him, him looking at the fruit, etc. Just wondered what others thought or preferred. :) Thanks.

30 Jun 2015 12:20 #11578 by Banj

One of the reasons I had him looking at the fruit was to simply help direct the viewer some. Her looking at him, him looking at the fruit, etc. Just wondered what others thought or preferred. :) Thanks.

That is true. It does add more of a visual triangle I guess instead of the straight back and forth of them looking at one another.

03 Jul 2015 22:25 #11654 by Digital Dave
Started roughing in the BG, and throwing some shades around.

Attachments:

04 Jul 2015 00:59 #11655 by crankshaft
Replied by crankshaft on topic Dave's Digitals
Looking great Dave! The background gives it great depth and composition!