April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Dave's Digitals

04 Jul 2015 03:42 #11656 by Digital Dave
Replied by Digital Dave on topic Dave's Digitals
Thanks, Crank. I was able to throw some more values around today. Trying to bring the woods to life, and also added some more to the characters as well.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

04 Jul 2015 12:58 #11659 by Domtopia
Replied by Domtopia on topic Dave's Digitals
This is cool. I love the framing of the character in the background.

It's odd too. Very visually interesting!

Once again, it has so much texture and depth. Good work Dave!

Everything's on the right!!!

It's like driving abroad!

05 Jul 2015 03:40 #11664 by Digital Dave
Thanks, Dom. Didn't get much time to work on this today, but did do a little though. But for some reason, I'm not sure I'm liking the girl or how she's coming along. Something about her keeps feeling off, I just can't figure what?

Attachments:

07 Jul 2015 15:48 - 07 Jul 2015 16:01 #11691 by Digital Dave
Well, let me try this again. Think HAL might not have liked my first attempt? :unsure: Might be have been the file names of the pics, which were assigned by my camera? Or possibly their size? ... Anyway I dabbled with the image above a little more, but not enough to post an update. But I thought I'd share this little creature with everyone. Just found it this morning on the side of my office, where one of my contractors is doing some work for us. It was tucked down into one of the wall blocks they are setting, which only has about 2 1/2" to 3" slots. I was able to pull her/him out and had animal control come by to pick it up to hopefully find someone who will give it a good home. :)

Hard to see, but this is the block he/she was in.

Close up

Attachments:

08 Jul 2015 22:11 #11701 by crankshaft
Replied by crankshaft on topic Dave's Digitals
Looking good Dave! To me the first thing I notice regarding the woman was her mouth/cheeks on the right feel a bit out of proportion or exaggerated too much. Hope this helps!

09 Jul 2015 01:52 #11702 by Digital Dave
Thanks, Crank. I did make some adjustments to her face, mostly trying to give her a softer look/chin and took some of the bridge off her nose, etc. Stepped away from her for a bit to work on the rest some more. But didn't have too much time to work on it. Still working on values mostly.

Attachments:

12 Jul 2015 01:46 #11739 by hobbyhorse
Replied by hobbyhorse on topic Dave's Digitals
Sorry Dave I haven't commented on this sooner....before you started putting values in. I find that her right hand is in a strange position...I don't think you would see that much of her fingers in profile..curled around his head to the front. Makes his head more two dimensional then 3D. Or that she has really long palm.

The face looks good now and the background is wonderful though it needs to have less contrast than you foreground figures....fog or bright sunlight.

12 Jul 2015 03:03 - 12 Jul 2015 03:05 #11742 by Digital Dave
Haha... no worries, Lori. It's never too late with digital art! ;) Even after a signature. :)

Funny you mentioned her hand. After working all day, I put it up on screen to look at while I was eating, and the hands were really bothering me. So I spent just a little time shrinking them both, and I did try to lower her right hand some. I thought it was arched too much. She's supposed to be reaching over and petting the one side, or ear-back. (I do this with my pups, and your palm usually rides somewhere along their center or spine.) But I will work on it some more if it's still not reading correctly with these adjustment? - I was also adding some more contrast, which I tend to do slowly as I work up the pic. Not sure why, just always have? :)

Thanks again. Here's the update.
Edit: Forgot to mention I was also fooling with the idea of adding some fur near the hands.

Attachments:

12 Jul 2015 12:10 #11745 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Dave's Digitals
Now that she mentioned it, I agree with Hobby on the hand... Not sure your changes fixed it I'm afraid... I still think we should see less of the fingers... Also I always thought her other hand looked a little "fat" for the rest of her and I think I've realised why... Isn't that index finger missing a joint? :)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

15 Jul 2015 01:40 #11763 by hobbyhorse
Replied by hobbyhorse on topic Dave's Digitals
Dave - I also reach around to pet the off side of my cat's head but I think the viewer would see more of the wrist/thumb when the hand is in this position. Maybe you could get your wife to be a hand model for you, either on one of the pups, or if they fail to cooperate perhaps a stuffed animal.
Make sure she signs a modeling release or that you pay her the going rate :woohoo:

"Don't be afraid to use reference...reference is your friend" Besides even the pros use it.