May challenge - Alien excavation

Deadline for entry:

April challenge Voting open!

Someone's gotta start this ball a-rolling!!

01 Mar 2015 09:06 #9221 by Charlotte
I agree with micro on the face, it does stand out a bit much. Maybe it could be the same colour as the rest of her... Not sure what I think of the red and gold. The scratches look great but the red is such a bright choice of colour (and the dark red areas hide more detail than the grey did previously) - like a race car - and I'm unsure what the story is. I mean, she was originally Rapunzel, stuck in a tower I think. I'm not sure why she's on her knees in the first place, but I assumed she was scrubbing the floor or something... Some how the red doesn't fit with the "captive and/or servant" side of her character... I rather liked the more matted grey too... But most of all I guess it needs to come through who she is and what she's doing...

Also, in the Disney movie her dress was pinkish, have you tried that for a metallic paint? ;) :P :silly:

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

01 Mar 2015 14:37 #9228 by crankshaft
Wow Dom that looks amazing! Loving the red and gold. Have you tried looking at the Starcraft 1,2 Terran Adjutant? Her face reminds me of that. Just an idea, to give it some story. You could have other disassembled android parts on the right side of the piece then have her hold something human like in her hand, like a necklace or glowing pendant. This could suggest some envy on her part to be human. Just my idea :P

01 Mar 2015 16:45 #9232 by Domtopia

I think the color choices of the pic before work much better as a whole...

Really? I thought it may have been a little bit monotonous. I will take it on board.

Thanks for the feedback guys. She is a bit big in the image at the moment, but I intend to make her smaller, thus making the composition read better. Hopefully, it will then be easier to see that she is tethered to that huge dark object (a generator) in the background. That's why she is looking back and is also why she is holding a strand of her hair. The background object will be lit up the same as her hair too, so it will tie it together somewhat.

Dunno what the Starcraft reference is Crank. Sorry! Plus, I really hope it doesn't look too much like a Giger image, as I think his work is a bit perverted!

I will see what can be done about the face. I want it to look false, as though it is obviously synthetic, but it can't be too bright as it stands out too much. The plan is to add similar scratches to her face as there are on her legs, giving the impression that her face is made of the same stuff. I will get to that eventually. The pink idea is interesting Charlotte. I will give that a test or two, see what happens!

Great feedback guys!! Thanks again!!

Everything's on the right!!!

It's like driving abroad!

05 Mar 2015 15:00 - 05 Mar 2015 15:04 #9378 by Domtopia
Still working away on this. I am trying to show some discipline and make sure I finish it before going on to something new.

Hopefully the raised area on the right sells the depth a bit better, as does the scale of the main character in the composition.

Here's the latest then. What do you think of the lighting effects on the generator in the background?

Attachments:

05 Mar 2015 16:18 #9379 by Banj

Here's the latest then. What do you think of the lighting effects on the generator in the background?

I like them, however I thought I was looking at lights on sections of a tunnel receding into the distance instead of around a solid object extending toward me. That's mostly because I can't see the generator clearly as it is very dark and not well defined (maybe illumination from the lights might help).

05 Mar 2015 22:36 #9385 by Domtopia
Oh yeah, I can see how you could see that!

I haven't got to the generator yet, but I will in time. The darkness of the background is just filler at the moment, just to give me something to paint on top of. First things first, got to get the character (and all those flippin cables) painted!

Thanks for the feedback Banj!

06 Mar 2015 00:13 - 06 Mar 2015 00:14 #9387 by microscopi
Hey Dom, picture is worth a thousands words, so did a paint over of face and bit of body to show suggestions, I don't have a clue whats going on with the boobs tho :whistle: *hope you don't mind*

Attachments:

06 Mar 2015 14:17 #9399 by Domtopia
Thanks Mic! I quite like what's going on around her head, what with the metal chin and all, but I think the huge metal boobs are a bit much! :XP:

I did actually paint her with breasts, but I was worried about sexualising her, so I opted for a flat chest instead. You have bulked her arm out too? I assume you prefer your women strong and with a huge chest!!:hmm:

The way you have painted the lights inside her hair looks great, so I think that is something I would like to explore, so thank you for the paintover!:thumbup: Always nice to see others take an interest!

07 Mar 2015 16:43 #9410 by Gus
Hey Dom! It´s getting better and better! I can´t wait to see it finished =) I have a sweetspot for cyberpunk or any related robot thing, so I dig the piece^^ The cables under her and the tubes from the hair are really nice details.
I also think repositioning the head to show off the neck helps the pose so I´d recommend that.
Great work!

07 Mar 2015 17:20 - 07 Mar 2015 17:28 #9413 by microscopi
Dom, sorry about the boobs lol I honestly just erased all the detail you put there and was too lazy to recreate it so just did some easy peesy boobies! I tried to incorporate the lights into her hair to match the generator, that way she matches the environment more and looks like she belongs.

I de-saturated the heck out of her face as it was way too colorful and bright agains the cold machinery, and I shrunk her head and repositoned it a little, those are the main changes I made. I thought the arm looked too think so gave her some meat, can't wait to see it all done.