April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Someone's gotta start this ball a-rolling!!

13 Mar 2015 15:43 #9557 by Valence
I think the problem is that on the left picture the rings of lights have different degrees of curvature. Everything else seems ok.

If you want to draw perfect ellipses then Elements does have a vector Shape tool. It won't act as a constraint but you could just use it as a a guide on another layer to paint over.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 Mar 2015 16:40 #9558 by kazky
I'm not sure if it's the positioning of the nearest light Dom?

13 Mar 2015 20:32 #9564 by Domtopia

If you want to draw perfect ellipses then Elements does have a vector Shape tool. It won't act as a constraint but you could just use it as a a guide on another layer to paint over.

Does it?

I know I can use the elliptical marquee tool. I guess I could use that and then reduce the size as I follow the perspective back. It's tricky though.

Kaz, I reckon you're right. I think I'll try the liquefy tool.

Thanks to you both!

Everything's on the right!!!

It's like driving abroad!

13 Mar 2015 20:43 #9566 by Valence
It does.
You can do straight lines, rectangles and circles (and unconstrained as ellipses) along with other preset shapes.
This video explains the tool, although for different effects from what you want.

13 Mar 2015 22:27 #9568 by Domtopia
I can't access the video. Nothing to do with the site though (before Banj jumps on it!) I have just disabled Youtube on my computer, so I can't view links to videos.

But, I know what you're on about now! I know it as the custom shape tool.

Yeah, I used those to make some of the panel lines on her legs and arms. The marquee tool does a similar thing too. The difference is that I can control the line weight with the marquee tool, but not with the custom shape tool. Like I said, it's fiddly, but I think I will just have to pull my finger out and put the effort in.

Thanks for the support Val!

14 Mar 2015 20:55 #9593 by crankshaft
Love the rendering of the barrel Dom! Looks real! I think the lighting is a bit detached or compartmentalized as a whole. I was thinking, maybe try a series of horizontal lit pipes leading to her face instead? This way it would feel more unified and consistent. Hope this helps!

14 Mar 2015 22:01 #9596 by Domtopia
What do you mean crank?

The lights on the generator? Or the ambient light?

I have yet to get to the lighting, so there are a whole lot of cast shadows that I have yet to add. Plus, there is a lot of reflected light from all the secondary light sources too that needs to be added. Lots still to do!!

Plus, I don't understand what you mean by horizontal pipes. Where were you thinking of putting them?

Thanks for the feedback, but maybe a paintover might help me to understand what you are suggesting.

15 Mar 2015 19:51 - 15 Mar 2015 19:52 #9608 by crankshaft
Hey Dom! Sorry for the confusion. Here's what I meant (first one). Also, since she's already looking to the left I did a po where the second image has light coming from the left, as if a door is opening.

Attachments:

15 Mar 2015 20:49 #9609 by Domtopia
Wow! Thanks Crank! Took some doing to paint that!

I see what you mean now. You think a more direct and obvious light source would be best? I will see what I can do. It may become more clear as I add the lighting in after the basics are down.

Thanks for the feedback!

22 Mar 2015 21:35 #9781 by Domtopia
I reckon I am just about done with this.

Putting scratches on her face, exposed metal or dirt just didn't work, so I decided to keep her face the way it is (with a couple of rust spots). The brightness of her face works to draw the eye to that part of the image, which is what I want.

I can't see anything else that needs doing, but I have been staring at it for weeks now! If you guys can spot anything then please let me know!

Otherwise I will post this in my gallery.

Thanks everyone!!

Attachments: