April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Micro's wips

12 Mar 2015 02:23 #9530 by microscopi
Replied by microscopi on topic Micro's wips
I'm not sure this is looking good I might just go with the one gun, appreciate the suggestion though Dom. :)

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 Mar 2015 12:15 #9535 by Domtopia
Replied by Domtopia on topic Micro's wips
Keep the gun on his shoulder then. It tells the story much better.

The other gun is held a at an odd angle anyway, which makes him look like a toy. I think you should holster that one and maybe have a knife in that hand. Or nothing at all. A hand gesture speak much more than a gun can!

Everything's on the right!!!

It's like driving abroad!

12 Mar 2015 23:31 #9546 by microscopi
I think the left arm as a whole looks awkward, i'm going to scrap it for now and focus on detail, starting to get discouraged again :blink: I have a final look I want to acheive in my head, I don't know if i'll have what it takes to pull if off but i'll continue trying.

13 Mar 2015 14:47 #9555 by Domtopia
You do have what it takes!!

But discipline is such a difficult thing to cultivate! Ideas first, shapes and forms next, details after!! There is such a lot of detail and texture in there already that it's actually a little difficult to read to image as a whole. So just hold your horses a bit and concentrate on what you want your pose to be. Then, once that is done, clearly define what your shapes and forms are. Details are fun, but it's all about timing!

Take, for example, my image in my WIP thread at the moment. I am working hard to keep my discipline and just concentrate on getting my shapes in first. Once that is done, I will move on to the lighting and then the detail such as scratches and grime. I have determined that I am not going on to any other area until I have finished getting in the basics.

If you get fed up, then maybe start a small area of detail and do that, just to get it out of your system. But Be strict with yourself and get back to the gritty stuff. It is very good practice!

Keep it up Mic. It's a good idea and a chance for you to grow as an artist!

13 Mar 2015 19:07 #9562 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Micro's wips
These are good, it's nice to see you trying to do some characters. Those face-masks and goggles make me think of the Sandpeople from Star Wars, as if they've evolved and gone all hi-tech. :)

I think it might be good to sort the feet out and give them something to stand on. It's always easier to sort out the pose when the figures are anchored to something (even if it's just a suggested shadow plane) and you can then see how well they're balanced.
But keep with it!

13 Mar 2015 20:15 #9563 by Domtopia
I agree, that's a good idea! Context is a key to getting the feel of what you're after!

14 Mar 2015 17:21 - 14 Mar 2015 17:22 #9582 by microscopi
Thanks guys :cheer: You have no idea how much encouragement helps. I think I solved the problem with the legs and poses, they both need to look like their backs are to each other and their legs are sitting properly perspective wise, but it's so hard to get that angle. I didn't post an update as I don't think i've done enough changes so i'm plugging along.

Trying to just do blocky shapes without adding too much detail Dom, I know its easy to jump right there as it's the best part, but i'm trying to stay disciplined. Really nice to hear positive reinforcement !!

Valence, I added drop shadows to both characters to ground them more, it helped to get their heights correct and so one of them doesn't appear floating. I'll have another update to post soon, hope you guys like my progression!

14 Mar 2015 20:39 #9592 by crankshaft
Replied by crankshaft on topic Micro's wips
Looking good micro! Some critique: The guy on the left, I would position his feet outward more instead of just both pointing ahead. This could help balance his pose/posture a lot more. Also his right hand is bigger than his left. It should be the opposite should it's farther way from us.

Keep at it man! The darkest hour is just before sunrise! I spent a crazy amount of hours on my factory but when I was done I felt that I just took an art course, meaning that I learned a lot of stuff so keep going!

15 Mar 2015 15:27 - 15 Mar 2015 15:28 #9605 by microscopi
Thanks Crank :cheer: I think encouragment goes a long way, I feel like I learn something on every pic I make too.

I changed the legs more to be spread out and less stiff, tried just focusing on the lower half of both characters, I've done significantly more work on the left guy but he's at a point where i'm more satisfied, so going to work on the right guy more. I think i'd like to start working on details now! :woohoo: (I hope the thumbs up isn't too cheesy)

Attachments:

15 Mar 2015 19:10 #9606 by crankshaft
Replied by crankshaft on topic Micro's wips
Wow micro that looks awesome! The pose definitely feels more fluid and balanced! Some minor things I noticed: |To me the guy on the left looks like he has rather short/stubby legs (maybe its the bulky armor) compared to his upper body. Also I think his right foot, since it's now turned towards the horizon, we would see much less of the top of it and more of the side of it. Keep at it it's going great!