April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Micro's wips

08 Nov 2014 16:53 #7028 by crankshaft
Replied by crankshaft on topic Micro's wips
Looking good. I'm assuming the focal would be the floating base to the right. In my opinion, I think the crane at the moment is taking up too much space . You could also convert it into more of a tower or big building(s) with a small crane attached to give the image some scale.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

08 Nov 2014 23:00 #7031 by Domtopia
Replied by Domtopia on topic Micro's wips
Good ideas there Val. A keen eye at work!

Everything's on the right!!!

It's like driving abroad!

14 Nov 2014 23:14 - 14 Nov 2014 23:45 #7156 by microscopi
Replied by microscopi on topic Micro's wips
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, been busy the past week and struggling a lot with making any progress on art stuff. Valence appreciate you painting over my stuff, I really like that it helps me see things i'm missing, I get art block a lot in the middle on working on pics sometimes :X

I worked bit more on the cloud pic, but I am not really feeling it anymore, here's where I am now but I might give up.

Trying to put more dramatic lighting into the dragon pic, but can't get a good knight character going. Will probably work on that one until its finished.

Attachments:

15 Nov 2014 01:49 - 15 Nov 2014 01:49 #7160 by Digital Dave
Replied by Digital Dave on topic Micro's wips
Looking good, Micro. Like the depth you're creating with these.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

15 Nov 2014 20:35 #7176 by Domtopia
Replied by Domtopia on topic Micro's wips
Agreed!

I also like the limited colour pallets used. Loads of atmosphere to draw the viewer in. Really good work.

Everything's on the right!!!

It's like driving abroad!

16 Nov 2014 19:57 #7183 by crankshaft
Replied by crankshaft on topic Micro's wips
Awesome work! It could be me but I feel that the composition isn't balanced, there's too much weight on the left side. Keep up the good stuff!

17 Nov 2014 07:08 #7185 by CherryGraphics
Replied by CherryGraphics on topic Micro's wips
wow micro - the dragon piece is awesome! :woohoo: I love how the wood and the leaves turn out. Did you use a special brush?

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance

17 Nov 2014 10:35 #7200 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Micro's wips
I think you're making good progress Micro.
Regarding the knight, perhaps you could play around with other ideas... I could see someone more of a spie or thief or coward (!) trying to skeak up on the dragon instead of challenging it straight out like your original knight did...

Regarding the cloud picture, perhaps a somewhat different composition could help. Your main platform is very smack dab in the middle now. Perhaps try to change the layout so it's a bit further left and give the foreground platform more room and increase it's size a bit to enhance the feeling of perspective. Just a thought/suggestion :)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

17 Nov 2014 15:58 #7229 by Digital Dave
Replied by Digital Dave on topic Micro's wips
Playing off Charlotte's suggestion for your dragon piece, you could also place the character front left, behind the tree and closer to the viewer, hence allowing you to draw him larger and give the image even more depth. The viewer would have an over-the-shoulder POV. Just a thought. :)

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

20 Nov 2014 03:28 #7249 by microscopi
Replied by microscopi on topic Micro's wips
Thanks for all the feedback guys. Managed to get a bit more done, decided to go with a knight face off but without the sword pose, also tried focusing more on the dragon and worked on the detail. Cherry I used a clone of some vegetation shots I got online, it helps make it more realistic.

Attachments: