April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Micro's wips

01 Aug 2015 02:08 #11909 by crankshaft
Replied by crankshaft on topic Micro's wips
Nice pics Micro! Some critique: I would watch the foreshortening of the far limbs as they don't look like they're small enough. I would re adjust the placing of that far leg because it doesn't look like it supporting the weight that well either. Hope this helps.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

19 Aug 2015 06:38 - 19 Aug 2015 14:59 #12059 by microscopi
Replied by microscopi on topic Micro's wips
Thanks crank, going to pay attention to that next time. Find doing more in-animate objects easier for now, have been hoping to improve on vehicles as their damn cool also mechs, but i'm having trouble getting an idea down for a cool mech.

This is my first ship concept, I'm using a technique I saw where you lightly shade in a shape in the background until you have something that looks cool, then you draw details overtop and refine, seemed to really help me, on to the next one this one is done I think.

Attachments:

20 Aug 2015 00:28 #12067 by microscopi
Breaking Bad marine meth lab

Attachments:

20 Aug 2015 00:45 - 20 Aug 2015 13:35 #12068 by microscopi
some spacestation wip

Attachments:

20 Aug 2015 13:53 #12073 by hobbyhorse
Replied by hobbyhorse on topic Micro's wips
Good practice on your sketching and perspective but this last one is still a bit off. Remember that any lines that are parallel in real life will converge as they go away from the viewer and spread apart when coming toward the viewer, even a little bit. The cylinder shapes are drawn well but lines of the run that leads to the foreground one, actually converge as they come forward in 'space' and spread as they go back in 'space'.
I know this is freehand sketching with out rulers but you need to train yourself to automatically use the rules of perspective so even your quick sketches read well, Then when you go to tighten up the drawing the guides and rulers are just a checking tool only.

21 Aug 2015 13:17 #12086 by microscopi
Thanks Hobby, I wasn't thinking about that at all, good to know before I do anymore. So you mean the lines at the bottom should be wider to show them further below the rest of the cylinder, like a cone shape? I was thinking of putting a circular structure there just guide lines for now, but I have to go research this now! :cheer:

22 Aug 2015 03:34 #12091 by crankshaft
Hey Micro nice plane! I would watch that far side wing as it does not look like its foreshorten properly.

22 Aug 2015 20:14 - 22 Aug 2015 20:19 #12094 by hobbyhorse
Replied by hobbyhorse on topic Micro's wips
micro- The cylinders are good and I don't mind the unfinished vignette look of them. It's the connecting 'runs' (looks like a roofed wall) The roof (horizontal plane looks good enough for a sketch but the bottom of the wall as it contacts the foreground cylinder is either parallel to the roof's line...which gives the optical illusion that it does not come forward in space or actually is drawn closer to the line of the roof.
As two lines, that in real life are parallel, come forward in two dimensional space (your paper) the lines are drawn closer together as they go back in space and spread apart as the come forward in space.

This doesn't mean that you have to pull a ruler and guides in every time you draw...that would make sketching tedious But just follow a general rule of thumb that....Parallel lines spread farther apart when coming toward the viewer and converge as they go away from the viewer.

Things like the wings on you plane add an extra level of complexity because they are usually tapered from the fuselage to the tip but this is where you can roughly sketch a rectangle that goes through the body of the plane, in proper perspective and then draw the wing's shape on it. Do the same for the foreground wing, drawing it's shape to match the placement on the rectangle like you did on the background wing.
Keep at it, perspective is a really tough subject but when you get it, you'll get it :woohoo:

23 Aug 2015 12:50 - 23 Aug 2015 12:55 #12100 by Atto
Replied by Atto on topic Micro's wips
Micro - As Hobby says I think the cylinders look good, and they're something I always struggle with. I've thrown down a quick paint over to try and illustrate what these guys are talking about. The horizontal line is the horizon, and the cyan lines that lead to the two vanishing points are those lines that approach the viewer. All these types of line should converge at one of these two VPs. All the verticals (for now) I would maintain as vertical (though you can drop a third VP below or above the horizon to add some real dynamism to tall structures as I'm guessing this one would be)
As the others have said you dont need to pull out rulers everytime you want to draw something similar but understanding the concept will really help give your sketches a realistic feel.
Keep it up!

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.
Attachments:

23 Aug 2015 15:09 #12104 by crankshaft
I would also highly recommend reading How to Draw by Scott Robertson and to learn to draw thru your structures as well. Eg I don't think the cylinders are even attached to the pathways properly. Hope this helps.