April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Micro's wips

22 Feb 2015 17:53 #9032 by microscopi
Replied by microscopi on topic Micro's wips
Oh my bad, I forgot to mention, I did infact do a screengrab after for some reason, maybe I was too lazy to save it as a jpg and just copied it on a layer, lol thanks for reminding me Valence!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

02 Mar 2015 15:24 - 02 Mar 2015 15:44 #9270 by microscopi
So decided to work on these guys more, the legs are hard to get positioned, the shapes look better they looked like they fell down the stairs before, I just want to jump into the fun part detailing.
* the guy on the left is the muscle, and the guy on the right the brains, he's waiting for the right moment to make the attack, but the muscle is impatient and just wants to rush into the fight *

Attachments:

07 Mar 2015 18:26 #9424 by crankshaft
Replied by crankshaft on topic Micro's wips
Looking good micro! A bit hard to get the feeling you're trying to convey with the two different personalities. Maybe make the left guy have lots of weapons, holsters etc to reflect more of an explosive attitude? Then maybe make the right guy more conservative by making him look at a laptop coordinating an attack instead?

07 Mar 2015 20:38 - 07 Mar 2015 20:40 #9432 by microscopi
Thanks for the suggestions Crank, definitely will incorporate them, although this piece is getting to complicated for me. I am trying to imagine how to paint all that close up detail of the armor and my stuff is always rough not polished looking. I'm going to come back to it.

I know this is another unfinished wip but I really like this one in particular, he's a Sci Fi Samurai on a mission of revenge against his creators, the Swamp of Sorrows in WOW really inspired the environment, I love that level in the game.

Attachments:

08 Mar 2015 14:46 - 08 Mar 2015 14:46 #9437 by Domtopia
Replied by Domtopia on topic Micro's wips
Maybe make the muscle guy bigger too. I think that would sell it better than making him look fed-up or impatient!

Don't give up on it either MIc. It's got good potential and all the basics are there as it is now. Concentrate of painting in the shapes for now and then work into the detail later.

It looks like you're using a heavily textured brush too. That's sometimes a good thing as it creates lots of 'happy mistakes' that can later be incorporated into the piece. It's especially useful on landscapes on areas that will have a lot of texture in the end anyway. But on a piece like this, where you are making a heavily armoured character, I think you would be better served if you were to paint using broad, flat brushes, like the standard round brush, or even the airbrush, once you have your shapes defined.

I think you should concentrate on it until it's finished. Trust me, it's good practice to stick at it, as you won't get that choice if you get work in the industry!

Everything's on the right!!!

It's like driving abroad!

08 Mar 2015 21:15 - 08 Mar 2015 21:17 #9450 by microscopi
Good points Dom, appreciate your encouragement, you shouldn't give up on yours either. I think you make some great points, so decided will stick with it, worked on it for a cpl hrs today, incorporated your suggestions, is this the right direction to go in?

Attachments:

08 Mar 2015 21:42 #9452 by Domtopia
Yeah, that looks good!

The tension between the different heights and bulk works better. The different armour is a good idea too.

The big fellow could have a gun resting on his shoulder to infer impatience in his part. See what you think.

09 Mar 2015 07:34 - 09 Mar 2015 07:34 #9462 by CherryGraphics
Replied by CherryGraphics on topic Micro's wips
I also think the different heights are working better - the bigger the stronger in my mind. Otherwise... I'm not that small too but have the power of a kitty. :D Or a cottonwool ball like my boyfriend said. :huh:

Also looking forward to the Swamp of Sorrow guy - this also looks really interesting to me!

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance

10 Mar 2015 22:29 #9511 by microscopi
Thanks Dom/Cherry :cheer:

I'm taking it slow, as i'm learning as i'm creating, but I am do appreciate the shove Dom, because I am happier with it now. I tried to put the gun on the shoulder but it didn't come out right and the gun was blocking too much of his face.

Cherry, some kitties can really be fighters :lol: Going to hopefully finish both of these in the next cpl months, I like doing environments a lot but have to admit making characters seems more fun.

11 Mar 2015 14:20 #9517 by Domtopia

I tried to put the gun on the shoulder but it didn't come out right and the gun was blocking too much of his face.

Then put it on the other shoulder! It would look better there anyway I think.