April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Crankshaft's Sketchbook

08 Oct 2016 02:59 #14690 by crankshaft
Replied by crankshaft on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
Exciting updates! Just more studies.

Anatomy fail. I'm trying to juggle between loose figures with a focus on gesture and expression and structural studies of actual muscles from Hampton.

Tank tracks study. Absolute nightmare, just way too complex, especially in pen. However I now understand how they work and can draw them 100% from memory. The ref is from some photos I took at the war museum.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

08 Oct 2016 17:50 #14691 by microscopi
Replied by microscopi on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
Hey Crank, theres no such thing as failing while you're studying, stop saying fail ! :P

You should see my old stuff it looks like I drew it while having a seizure lol

Don't forget the whole 'mileage' thing. I think just finishing pics will help, you realize all the mistakes you made on the last one and you don't repeat it on the next. Pretty soon you don't really make any mistakes, you just start pumping out awesome work after awesome work, you get lots faster too, so ive heard... ;)

09 Oct 2016 13:02 #14692 by crankshaft
Updates. Some anatomy practice and I finished the train design. Pretty happy with the sketch, it's not perfect but I feel like my confidence has gone up and my forms are more gestural than the previous attempts. I've also noticed I'm much more loose and my speed as gone up, I only spent 20 min on it and it looks better than before.

Attachments:

09 Oct 2016 13:04 #14693 by crankshaft

Hey Crank, theres no such thing as failing while you're studying, stop saying fail ! :P

You should see my old stuff it looks like I drew it while having a seizure lol

Don't forget the whole 'mileage' thing. I think just finishing pics will help, you realize all the mistakes you made on the last one and you don't repeat it on the next. Pretty soon you don't really make any mistakes, you just start pumping out awesome work after awesome work, you get lots faster too, so ive heard... ;)

Thanks Micro! That means I gotta keep failing even more before I make any awesome work :P

09 Oct 2016 16:55 #14694 by microscopi
Replied by microscopi on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
I'm afraid so, but we can both fail together at least :P

I didn't notice the train until now tho ! I don't think that's a fail at all, it looks great !

The perspective is definitely there, and all the parts make it look interesting and non uniform,
also the shading job you did with the 3 different values looks perfect! :woohoo:

10 Oct 2016 19:02 #14696 by crankshaft
Fail. Schoolism update coming soon.

Attachments:

10 Oct 2016 19:04 #14697 by crankshaft

I'm afraid so, but we can both fail together at least :P

I didn't notice the train until now tho ! I don't think that's a fail at all, it looks great !

The perspective is definitely there, and all the parts make it look interesting and non uniform,
also the shading job you did with the 3 different values looks perfect! :woohoo:

Thanks man! Definitely need to do more, they're good for loosening up.

11 Oct 2016 01:46 #14702 by crankshaft
Quick schoolism update.

Attachments:

12 Oct 2016 21:19 #14710 by Digital Dave
Looking at your little house again, the front tip looks odd at the moment. You have the left side (viewers POV) sweeping across to the right side, but there isn't any break-point, defining each side as being separate. If that makes sense. ... And this is throwing off the timbers placement as well.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

15 Oct 2016 02:57 - 15 Oct 2016 02:58 #14720 by crankshaft
Thanks Dave. I think I see what you mean but the it's a line drawing from Sam Neilson from schoolism so I just rendered on top of that.

Going to try and focus on more looser quick gestures this time. The fail is even worse this time. I guess you have to really suck at something before you get better.