April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Crankshaft's Sketchbook

03 Sep 2016 17:58 #14466 by microscopi
Replied by microscopi on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
Crank, that's how I do things all the time. I have the opposite problem and never plan anything! :P

Just make some blobs and try to see something cool you like and it will inspire you, then just keep going from there.

But I think the biggest way to progress is muscle memory, practice so much that you learn a ton from your mistakes and soon you won't be making hardly any! :woohoo:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

05 Sep 2016 01:55 #14479 by crankshaft
Replied by crankshaft on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
Some more fail:

Still working on getting the values. Trying a more organic workflow with a funky brush.

Anatomy fail.

Fixed up that window frame. I understand lighting much better now.

Since I'm trying to loosen up more here some super rough design sketches for a potential environment. It's supposed to be an underground utility tunnel. I'm a big FF fan so the inspiration is from FF7.

05 Sep 2016 01:59 #14480 by crankshaft

Crank, that's how I do things all the time. I have the opposite problem and never plan anything! :P

Just make some blobs and try to see something cool you like and it will inspire you, then just keep going from there.

But I think the biggest way to progress is muscle memory, practice so much that you learn a ton from your mistakes and soon you won't be making hardly any! :woohoo:

Hey thanks for the advice! That's soo true and that's my problem. I have almost no confidence in my own abilities and I worry too much about perfection. I'm now trying something different with my new designs.

05 Sep 2016 02:02 #14481 by crankshaft
This is the look I'm after. Note this is not mine, it belongs to Squaresoft/enix. Some day I'll get there :(

Attachments:

05 Sep 2016 07:30 #14483 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
Rule no. 1: The only fail is not trying ;)

You're really good with mechs and artificial shapes, but you're also starting to really improve with your anatomy and gesture studies, you know. Your first figures looked like mechs or piles opf boxes rather than soft fleshed people, and that's much different now. Just keep going. And remember the rule! :cheer:

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

05 Sep 2016 11:57 #14485 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook

Rule no. 1: The only fail is not trying ;)

Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.

05 Sep 2016 17:44 #14487 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
*bop*
"the only fail is not doing shit"

better banj? i improvised the last bit... there seemed to be something missing without it :P

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

07 Sep 2016 13:00 #14507 by Thomgirl
Replied by Thomgirl on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
*chuckles*

09 Sep 2016 00:21 - 09 Sep 2016 00:25 #14530 by crankshaft
Progress has really dipped as I'm been really sick. Then again going 300 miles an hour hasn't helped either.

Rough design sketches. Here I was more concerned with what kind of pillars to use, where to put the main pipes, what kind of beams I should use rather than making a pretty picture.

Some more thumbs and somewhat nicer sketch of the environment. All done freehand and I guessed at the perspective. I've learned a lot about myself here. I was simply trying to bite off more than I could chew. These are perspective heavy so doing them big, freehand, in pen, and without grids was hard. I looked at one of my heros, Scott Robertson and a lot of his sketches are done small in ortho views and in simple camera views that have little perspective. So I learned to do anything more polished would better off done digitally or in 3d.

More fail. I don't know where I'm going or what I'm doing. Really itching to do another full personal piece.

09 Sep 2016 00:25 #14531 by crankshaft
Faillllll

Attachments: