April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Crankshaft's Sketchbook

09 Sep 2016 00:28 #14532 by crankshaft
Replied by crankshaft on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook

Rule no. 1: The only fail is not trying ;)

You're really good with mechs and artificial shapes, but you're also starting to really improve with your anatomy and gesture studies, you know. Your first figures looked like mechs or piles opf boxes rather than soft fleshed people, and that's much different now. Just keep going. And remember the rule! :cheer:

Thanks so much Char! Your comment made me chuckle bc I actually looked back at my old figures and they look like spaghetti! The struggle is real :P

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

09 Sep 2016 00:30 #14533 by crankshaft
Thank you Banji, Charlotte, Thomgirl for the encouragement! You guys are too nice :P

09 Sep 2016 18:15 #14538 by crankshaft
Little update on the rendering. Still trying to get the values down.

Attachments:

10 Sep 2016 14:19 #14539 by crankshaft
More fail. At this rate it may take 100 years to do something decent.

Another cgma assignment. The goal was to paint over the values of the painting provided. Learned so much about color, temperature, variation and saturation.

I told myself to just do some blind sketching without design specs to loosen up and now the fail is even bigger. I've learned a lot here. It's far better to always design with some specs bc that directs all your shapes and ensures consistency. Plus that's what you'll be doing in the real world. It also gives you something to draw ie if you're drawing a plane that carries heavy cargo then you know it needs wings, propellers, landing gear, a large fuselage, heavy duty engines etc. These are some kind of drones.

Attachments:

10 Sep 2016 16:38 - 10 Sep 2016 16:41 #14541 by microscopi
Replied by microscopi on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
Those environment sketches are looking awesome Crank, the mech is looking equally as awesome! :woohoo:
You're obiously discovering your strengths so far to be non mechanical inorganic objects, you are definitely not failing there. You can't be a master with every aspect most artists pick a style and subject and perfect that.

I know you have to learn anatomy, color, light, perspective shape design..etc. but you should have confidence knowing you are getting real good at one style of art. The anatomy studies will start to look better and better too, I remember a time when some of your mechanical structures looked flat, but now look at your stuff, complete 180 :P You'll get there with anatomy too.soon.

12 Sep 2016 02:36 - 12 Sep 2016 02:41 #14552 by crankshaft
Some lousy updates. Holidays finally coming to an end but I got lots of work done.

Flying aircraft carrier. Guessed at perspective but I wanted to see how well I could design something without thumbs, which I'll be doing next since I want a slightly more sci fi version. Loads of design problems here, too many identical proportions, poor silhouette, poor shapes, too blocky.

Some thumbs (?) or iterations of the front nose of the ship.

Some random doodles. Was trying to figure out what to draw next.

Anatomy fail.

12 Sep 2016 02:46 #14555 by crankshaft

Those environment sketches are looking awesome Crank, the mech is looking equally as awesome! :woohoo:
You're obiously discovering your strengths so far to be non mechanical inorganic objects, you are definitely not failing there. You can't be a master with every aspect most artists pick a style and subject and perfect that.

I know you have to learn anatomy, color, light, perspective shape design..etc. but you should have confidence knowing you are getting real good at one style of art. The anatomy studies will start to look better and better too, I remember a time when some of your mechanical structures looked flat, but now look at your stuff, complete 180 :P You'll get there with anatomy too.soon.

Thanks man for taking the time to write all that. Means a lot ! I don't think I'm getting good at anything, even mechanical things...I look at guys like Scott Robertson and I wonder if it'll take another 100 years.

17 Sep 2016 02:05 #14576 by crankshaft
Visual library/draftsmanship study. It's a London interior called the institution of civil engineers. Sort of gave up half way thru. It's just way too complex but I did learn a lot. The forms are pretty awesome, just look at those pillars alone.

Schoolism assignment wip. Still focusing on the basics first.

Anatomy fail.

18 Sep 2016 12:04 #14577 by crankshaft
Updates!

Visual library/draftsmanship studies. The new Bugatti Veyron Gt Sport. Look at those crazy forms. Definitely something I could use later.

However the car was really hard to do at first so here's the first attempt. I came up a with a little tip that helps with measuring proportions. I can draw cars but not people >< Goes off in a corner and cries.

Schoolism wip.

Anatomy fail.

Some thumbs of that aircraft carrier. Still not happy with any of them. ><

19 Sep 2016 00:29 - 19 Sep 2016 00:31 #14579 by Digital Dave
Nice updates. I like the car pic, but really partial to the little house.

Hoping to start sketching here some myself, but won't probably do much this coming week though. Took the whole weekend getting my new setup together, transferring stuff over, etc.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D