February challenge WINNER ANNOUNCED!

Crankshaft's Sketchbook

24 Sep 2016 02:51 - 24 Sep 2016 02:56 #14591 by crankshaft
Replied by crankshaft on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
Exciting updates.

Anatomy fail.

Update on the schoolism assignment.

Some thumbs for that ship.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Sep 2016 02:55 - 24 Sep 2016 02:57 #14592 by crankshaft
Visual library study. The Jay Leno tank car. He built it himself using an actual tank engine.

Attachments:

24 Sep 2016 03:00 #14593 by crankshaft

Nice updates. I like the car pic, but really partial to the little house.

Hoping to start sketching here some myself, but won't probably do much this coming week though. Took the whole weekend getting my new setup together, transferring stuff over, etc.

Thanks Dave! Good to have you back! Looking forward to seeing what you draw next!

25 Sep 2016 12:28 - 25 Sep 2016 12:29 #14606 by crankshaft
Yay more updates. I've also been busy with the cgma lessons but I realized that I'm not really supposed to reveal those assignments. The course is crazy hard and the critiques are amazing! They're also super painful to the point where things get depressing. Gotta keep going!

Anatomy fail.

Helicopter visual library study. Awesome forms here, particularly that front piece.

Some more old thumbs for that ship.

Attachments:

25 Sep 2016 21:50 - 25 Sep 2016 21:52 #14607 by crankshaft
More updates. Been really depressed with my art lately. I feel every time I take one step forward I take 10 steps backwards.

Anatomy fail? I don't think my figures will ever amount to anything.

Schoolism wip. Struggling with the rendering of the roof and hay texture. Any help would be appreciated!

The Enterprise aircraft carrier. So I learned a lot here. I went in on a whim and just jumped in without any care and the piece actually feels more lively then my more careful stuff. Plus it only took me 20 min and it looks better than something that usually takes me an hour?

Lots of small mistakes through, the front looks like a dorky face and the back can't physically exist in real life so I made some last second changes. My sis also says it looks like a cheese grater which I think is kind of cool looking.

Attachments:

01 Oct 2016 01:56 - 01 Oct 2016 01:58 #14630 by crankshaft
More fail updates. The fail is reallll.

Studies from Hampton. Some were copies and some were from memory. Still fail.

Visual library study. Trying to focus on pivots and moving parts. My next study will be some tank treads.

Some thumbs/ quick sketches for a train. Never really finished one from before so I want to redesign it again and see how much I've learned. In terms of shapes I'm going for those bullet like electric trains but this one will be gas or diesel powered.

Schoolism update. Quickly blocked color using a color layer. It feels way off, like it's too muddy or the temperatures are all wrong. Fail. Critique away!

02 Oct 2016 01:06 #14646 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
The colours on the building look fine to me, especially the "turn" of the corner.
The background doesn't quite seem to recede in a uniform way though. You seem to have three layers and the middle one appears to be "greyer" than the others. It may just be an optical illusion but it does look a little bit off, to my eye at least.

It's good to see you plugging away with the anatomy. Have you tried doing shaded anatomy drawings as well as these fundamental studies? It may seem less of a fail to you if you use this developing knowledge beyond reproducing the underlying linework.

Keep it up. :)

02 Oct 2016 12:14 #14652 by crankshaft
More fail! Fail so harddddd. I've also been busy working on the cgma classes and made lots of progress but unfortunately I can't show anything so the amount of updates would be double this.

However I highly recommend the course by Robert Chang, become a better artist. It's not your typical workshop and is more geared towards beginners but the feedback he gives back is insane. He'll answer any questions you might have for as long as you need him. I'll already asked him tons of questions about what's it like being a concept artist. Hard to find that kind of info. There's an alumni group he made where you can get feedback on anything (within hours) and it's super detailed critiques.

Anatomy fail.

Some more quick sketches of the train. Schoolism update coming soon!

Attachments:

02 Oct 2016 12:18 #14653 by crankshaft

The colours on the building look fine to me, especially the "turn" of the corner.
The background doesn't quite seem to recede in a uniform way though. You seem to have three layers and the middle one appears to be "greyer" than the others. It may just be an optical illusion but it does look a little bit off, to my eye at least.

It's good to see you plugging away with the anatomy. Have you tried doing shaded anatomy drawings as well as these fundamental studies? It may seem less of a fail to you if you use this developing knowledge beyond reproducing the underlying linework.

Keep it up. :)

Thanks Val! Yay the colors are actually decent! That's a first for me! Definitely see what you mean now, I'll fix it soon. Regarding rendering the figure it's still a far stretch for me. Gotta keep practicing.

02 Oct 2016 23:50 #14655 by crankshaft
Schoolism update. Colors still feel off but I think things are getting better. I applied some quick fixes then I'll fix them up later.

Attachments: