March challenge - Enter here!

Deadline for entry:

February challenge WINNER ANNOUNCED!

Crankshaft's Sketchbook

15 Oct 2016 02:59 #14721 by crankshaft
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Oct 2016 13:10 #14723 by crankshaft
Replied by crankshaft on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
Some more awful gestures. Also a visual library study on the American Abrams tank. Learned a lot about tanks here. Look at where the reactive armore tiles are located.

18 Oct 2016 12:03 #14726 by em...
Replied by em... on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
A few months ago I mentioned a lack of movement in your gesture sketches, and I'm seeing a big improvement there - there's a lot more flow and purpose than there was previously. Well done on that.

Now I want to suggest that you might want to look at the proportions - I feel that, even with the vastly improved figures you are now producing, if they were taken to full rendering they wouldn't be "attractive". Other than the breasts, it's often difficult to tell whether they are male of female - they're kind of amorphous and genderless.

Looking at the work of cartoonists who exaggerate anatomy to differentiate genders and body types could help (even if you do it more subtly)

22 Oct 2016 03:14 #14741 by crankshaft
Updates! Usual anatomy fail. Going for longer poses to try and dig deeper through my problems. Also been working on my cgma classes but they don't allow us to show those ><

Visual library/draftsmanship study, the Mclaren P1.

Some quick design sketches. Half mech and tank, more like a turret tank. Trying to loosen up and just draw without fear of what happens. The previous sketches were super messy and much worse than these bc I was trying to solve a lot of hard points. Ie how to attach the turret, whether or not it should have arms, how they would move etc.

Schoolism painting. Unless there's something majorly wrong with it I'm calling this done. It's not perfect but I learned so much.

22 Oct 2016 03:17 #14742 by crankshaft

A few months ago I mentioned a lack of movement in your gesture sketches, and I'm seeing a big improvement there - there's a lot more flow and purpose than there was previously. Well done on that.

Now I want to suggest that you might want to look at the proportions - I feel that, even with the vastly improved figures you are now producing, if they were taken to full rendering they wouldn't be "attractive". Other than the breasts, it's often difficult to tell whether they are male of female - they're kind of amorphous and genderless.

Looking at the work of cartoonists who exaggerate anatomy to differentiate genders and body types could help (even if you do it more subtly)

Thanks man! Everyday I think of giving up so your advice is reassuring. As per your crit I;m digging deeper with the proportions and subtle differences.

23 Oct 2016 12:18 #14743 by crankshaft
Updates! More anatomy fail. I think these are looking much better than my previous ones? Really wish I could spend more time on vehicles instead. Grrrrr

Attachments:

24 Oct 2016 22:56 #14745 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
There's a good sense of balance to this set.
Sometimes anatomy sketches can look like disconnected figures floating in an abstract space but these have a real feeling of mass to them.

Keep working, your vehicles will always be there to fall back on.

29 Oct 2016 02:29 #14754 by crankshaft
Updates. Usual anatomy fail. Will try to apply crits from everyone soon. It's just very overwhelming how much I have to learn so it's slow for me to apply it all.

Visual library sketch of a library hehe. It's called Dr. William's Library in London. Absolute nightmare and total failure on my part. But I learned a lot and by failing I've noticed my confidence has gone up. I also feel like I'm loosening up, which has been a constant struggle of mine. Should of probably chose something much simpler ><

Some thumbs or rough design sketches for that mech tank. I have many more roughs but they're not even presentable and very messy. I chose parallel projection bc it's much easier to design with then I'll use proper perspective.

Wish I could post more pretty stuff instead of studies :(

29 Oct 2016 02:31 #14755 by crankshaft

There's a good sense of balance to this set.
Sometimes anatomy sketches can look like disconnected figures floating in an abstract space but these have a real feeling of mass to them.

Keep working, your vehicles will always be there to fall back on.

Thanks Val! But I also feel like I'm developing bad habits, like I'm drawing too much with the wrist and erasing too much. Grrr when will the fail stop?

05 Nov 2016 02:46 #14790 by crankshaft
Updates!

Mainly anatomy fail.

Didn't even realize how flat the mountains were until someone pointed it out! Just a decent attempt on fixing that.

Did some modelling in sketchup. Super fun! All I want to do now is model my designs. So liberating to see my ideas come to life! But I gotta get back to studies >< Kind of worried of over committing to another big project but we'll see.