April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Crankshaft's Sketchbook

06 Nov 2016 13:49 #14792 by crankshaft
Replied by crankshaft on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
Updates! More anatomy fail and a failed visual library study on a rat rod from a car show a few years back. Massive fail on the wheels, going to practice free hand drawing ellipses. Still working on them cgma assignments but can't show them><

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

06 Nov 2016 13:49 #14793 by crankshaft
Attachments:

07 Nov 2016 22:18 #14797 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
Not anatomy fail. Anatomy improvement.
The second pic is the only one that looks awkward and the comments you have written on it show that you already know the error with the distorted torso.
Keep going! :)

12 Nov 2016 04:16 #14807 by crankshaft
Updates! Really spreading myself thin and multitasking too much. Cgma classes, more schoolism, the tank mech, anatomy fail, visual libraries studies... Now I'm learning blender. Joy, it's like going from adding/subtraction math to calculus.

British Royal Air Force ww2 Avro Lancaster bomber visual library study.

Failure!

Been learning sketchup on the go as well as modelling with it. Not much done, attempting to put some hard points and work around those. In this case I'm making the turret a cockpit. I simply colored the whole thing grey to make it look like I did something :P

12 Nov 2016 04:19 #14808 by crankshaft

Not anatomy fail. Anatomy improvement.
The second pic is the only one that looks awkward and the comments you have written on it show that you already know the error with the distorted torso.
Keep going! :)

Thanks Val! All I see is failure. I've been drawing for a while and some people would be professionals by now:(

Gogogogo (passes out from burnout) :P

12 Nov 2016 04:20 #14809 by crankshaft
Attachments:

13 Nov 2016 13:58 - 13 Nov 2016 14:00 #14810 by crankshaft
Fail updates. I've been drawing for a little while now and I decided to look back at my old stuff. I realize that I've made zero progress. I've only recently started studying anatomy. Maybe I should call it quits and just give up :P

Before:

Now:

New schoolism courses, painting with light and color with Robert Kondo and Dice. The goal is to paint
still lifes in diffused light but this is the closest setup I can get bc all my free time is at night.

Also some thumbs for the tank mech machine gun. It'll make more sense later.

13 Nov 2016 21:17 - 13 Nov 2016 21:18 #14815 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
If you can't see an improvement in those first two pics then you should book an eye test at your nearest optician's! :lol:
I know it is hard objectively judging your own work but there's a huge difference there that you should be proud of and one that should inspire you to keep at it.

And I love the cuddly toy in the photo ref! :cheer:
What on earth is it??

14 Nov 2016 00:09 #14816 by Atto
Replied by Atto on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
Couldn't agree more, with Val, not you Crank. Theres some real improvement there not only in terms of structure and proportion but in gesture too.
I think we all plateau every now and then before a sudden burst of improvement and maybe its this fustration that you feel.
The more recent times I have encountered this I have spent quite some time looking at professionals work who I admire to see how I may be able to take my drawings further. I think its massively important to search out those artists sketches and thumbnails too as these types of work often reveal hints at how an artist handles the construction of a subject. If you want to draw like Leonardo look at his sketches first, don't try to jump right in and paint the Mona Lisa!

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.

14 Nov 2016 15:01 - 14 Nov 2016 15:04 #14819 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook

And I love the cuddly toy in the photo ref! :cheer:
What on earth is it??

Totoro*.

It's a global criminal offence not to have seen My Neighbor Totoro (at least it should be).

* Technically speaking it's actually one of the little fellas that hops around with Totoro but I don't know what they are called. Totoro-lite, Totoro minis :hmm: