April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Crankshaft's Sketchbook

13 Aug 2016 01:54 - 13 Aug 2016 01:57 #14360 by crankshaft
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 Aug 2016 12:12 - 14 Aug 2016 12:15 #14364 by crankshaft
Replied by crankshaft on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
Updates!

Cgma assignment. The rendering is wip and the blue one is a study on composition using abstract shapes.

Attachments:

16 Aug 2016 16:33 #14385 by microscopi
Replied by microscopi on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
Hey Crank,

Awesome new design studies and cool to see the assignments CGMA is giving you. I'm always impressed with the amount of work you can do, do you have time to eat these days ? :P

How much time do you spend drawing in a day? I have all the time in the world, but without the money lol, isn't that always the way it is. :pinch: I'm learning on my own and it's going a lot slower, but i'm just going to use you as my muse from now on! :woohoo:

20 Aug 2016 02:36 - 20 Aug 2016 02:38 #14394 by crankshaft
Yay updates! Going on holidays so that means...more work! No time for relaxing. Gogogoggogo

Rendering from week 3 cgma class. Learned a lot about separation of values but it still lacks punch. I''m probably trying to balance too much, I mean it's a relatively weak light source in a room with light walls. Plus its night time outside meaning there's little ambient light thru the window.

Ferrari f1 1967 312. I love cars! Grrr pen is so hard to use. Learned a lot about old f1 cars. Look at where the rear brake rotors are, they're inboard, helping to reduce un sprung weight. Newer f1 cars have them outboard thanks to venturi duct work. Those exhaust pipes were a nightmare (v12 engine) so I simplified them.

Gotta work on that draftsmanship.

Small update on the water assignment from schoolism. Going to finish what I started.

Anatomy studies. P.S How do you guys stay motivated when you're surrounded by people half your age that are already professional?

20 Aug 2016 02:42 #14395 by crankshaft

Hey Crank,

Awesome new design studies and cool to see the assignments CGMA is giving you. I'm always impressed with the amount of work you can do, do you have time to eat these days ? :P

How much time do you spend drawing in a day? I have all the time in the world, but without the money lol, isn't that always the way it is. :pinch: I'm learning on my own and it's going a lot slower, but i'm just going to use you as my muse from now on! :woohoo:

Hey thanks man! I draw about 40 hrs a week. Roughly 20 hrs Mon to Fri then another 20 over the weekend. It's very hard and I want to give up but I don't like my current career so that's why I take drawing seriously.

My advice to you is to take a break from the challenges and focus more on fundamentals. If you have any questions fire away.

21 Aug 2016 13:39 #14397 by crankshaft
Quickie update.

Draftsmanship/visual library study. 1970 Toyota 7. Totally messed up this one. Tried to pushed perspective from the ref but now it looks completely bent. These do a good job of building your patience and tenacity.

Attachments:

21 Aug 2016 15:05 #14398 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
You're right about pushing the perspective on that car, it looks a little skewed vertically, but it's good that you already notice this yourself.
The previous pic of the red ferrari is very impressive though with lots of excellent technical detail but also a clear and understandable form.

23 Aug 2016 04:15 - 23 Aug 2016 04:17 #14406 by crankshaft
More updates! Some gesture fail. It really hard to get the rhythm. I'm so use to things that have defined edges, of which the figure has none. I may have to approach things more geometrically ie using boxes and cylinders.

1943 VW WW2 Schwimmwagen, Amphibious vehicle. These were so reliable that the British often captured as many as possible from the Germans.

Total failure on proportions, it now has a cutesy feel instead of a versatile vehicle. The front and tires should of been bigger ><

Schoolism water lesson. I think this is getting somewhere but I may throw in the towel soon. Water is just too complex. Those waves feel way off.

23 Aug 2016 04:19 #14407 by crankshaft

You're right about pushing the perspective on that car, it looks a little skewed vertically, but it's good that you already notice this yourself.
The previous pic of the red ferrari is very impressive though with lots of excellent technical detail but also a clear and understandable form.

Thanks Val! Pen is awesome but unforgiving. ><

23 Aug 2016 07:25 #14408 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook

Anatomy studies. P.S How do you guys stay motivated when you're surrounded by people half your age that are already professional?

I either totally ignore them or become their fan :lol:

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.