May challenge - Alien excavation

Deadline for entry:

April challenge Voting open!

Crankshaft's Sketchbook

05 Jun 2016 23:02 #13850 by crankshaft
Replied by crankshaft on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
Schoolism wip. I think I'm getting somewhere, finally. Crit away, I like the no fog version better.

Before

Rendering wip of the crate.

Anatomy statues.

Some roughs of that tank. It took lots of pages just to figure out how the arms are going to move and I'm still not happy with it yet.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 Jun 2016 03:01 - 11 Jun 2016 03:04 #13878 by crankshaft
Updates! Did lots of gesture poses but they're so messy so I'll skip those.

So I've calculated how many hours I'm drawing each week and I'm averaging 40-42 hrs a week, on top of a 45 hour day job. So I'm basically working 2 full time jobs and it's exhausting. Do you really need to draw something ridiculous like 16 hrs a day to break into the industry? I'm constantly striving to improve myself and finding ways to save more time but I'm starting to wonder if I should go back to school....Anyways, I digress.

Finally got the design down for my tank mech. Kept things simple and I'll get in to detail later. Those arms were an absolute nightmare but I learned what was going wrong. For complex things like mechs it's best to jump into 3/4 views asap, because there's so much overlapping that it's hard to know where things are. Also it's hard to trigger your visual library because you're looking at a flat wall. It's hard to understand articulation of parts in these flat views.

Schoolism assignment. Calling this one done. Tried to make it more realistic but Sam Nielson said to keep the mountains simple if we wanted to. The main focus was on the atmospheric rendering. Learned a lot about color.

So if you're the same age as me (mid 20's) you probably grew up with games like Twisted Metal so I thought why not do my own HD remake of the vehicles? Quick design sketch of Sweet tooth's ice cream truck. Still playing around with proportions.

Rendering wip of that crate. Color is a mysterious beast.

Finally got the design of that sci fi train! It took pages and pages just to get to this design. I'll do a slightly tighter version with better perspective soon.

11 Jun 2016 13:38 #13880 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
Wow! That's a lot of work you're putting in there, crank!
I guess you can never have too much practise although it does make me feel like some kind of workshy fop. I don't think I've ever done more than 8 hours of drawing/painting in a week ... and that's on a good week! :blush: Perhaps that's why I know nothing about breaking into any industry. :lol:

Nice new designs there too. That ice cream truck looks like a fun idea, I'm interested to see what kind of colours you'll use for the paint job. Just squash those ellipses a little more for the wheels.

12 Jun 2016 02:10 #13884 by crankshaft
Thanks Val! Critique about those ellipses noted. I want to do my best everyday.

Some updates. Couldn't resist to post an update on my crate! I think my rendering is improving because this has only taken me a few hours and it's almost better than my spider mech! Woo hoo! It's going to use a similar brochure layout. Crit at will.

Some gestures. I have lots more but I'll just post the ones that look like humans. I think the lines are slightly cleaner, and I'm able to combine more fluid lines than before.

12 Jun 2016 18:18 #13887 by em...
Replied by em... on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook

Do you really need to draw something ridiculous like 16 hrs a day to break into the industry?

I'm pretty sure the only prerequisite for breaking into any industry, and staying in it, is being good.

18 Jun 2016 02:46 #13903 by crankshaft
Updates.

Crate update. Experimenting with a bg and so far I'm liking this set up. Almost done!

Design sketches. Some were rushed, some were done carefully, some were done on a bumpy car ride, you get the idea. I do think my drafts manship and thought process is slightly improving as I'm more confident with where I put my marks. Before I simply rushed relying more on happy accidents than my own ability. I learned a valuable lesson: Slowing down is actually faster because by being deliberate you are already filtering out bad ideas before you even touch the paper which in turns saves time. It results in less iterations or revisions.

Finished my own sci fi train. The previous one shown was cool but too alien so I chose something more grounded. I wanted the front to sort of resemble a Ferrari Scaglietti.

Next Schoolism assignment, rendering water. It just gets harder and harder.

18 Jun 2016 02:50 #13904 by crankshaft

Do you really need to draw something ridiculous like 16 hrs a day to break into the industry?

I'm pretty sure the only prerequisite for breaking into any industry, and staying in it, is being good.

Thanks em. That means I'll never get anywhere with my art :P

18 Jun 2016 03:00 #13905 by crankshaft
Finished the ice cream truck. I now have enough info to put this in stock.

My next design is going to be a group c race car. These are purpose built cars usually used for endurance races such as Circuit de Sarthe in France.

Attachments:

19 Jun 2016 13:07 #13906 by crankshaft
Some quick gesture updates. Trying to find a balance between structure and flow. My next studies will be slower and I'll try to understand what's actually happening, ie overlaps, which muscle is stretching, which is contracting etc.

Totally screwed up the line weights here. I think it's to post mistakes though because it forces you to loosen up and keep going. This design is almost finished!

19 Jun 2016 14:51 #13907 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
I like the way you've used a background in the picture of the crates. It adds a professional touch to the presentation and really suits your style.