May challenge - Alien excavation

Deadline for entry:

April challenge Voting open!

Crankshaft's Sketchbook

23 May 2016 00:04 #13793 by crankshaft
Replied by crankshaft on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
Study on some back muscles. I also have some gesture poses but they're soo bad I don't think they're even worth posting.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 May 2016 18:37 #13795 by crankshaft
Some minor updates. Almost done the spider mech!

Study from Hampton.

Schoolism wip. Clouds are soo hard. Struggle is real man.

Truck sketch excersises. The goal here was sketching to understand the design and anatomy of the trucks themselves rather than producing a useless pretty sketch. For example I had no idea that the exhaust stacks actually come out under the side of the truck. I thought they come from behind. This way I can draw these from imagination that much easier which will help with my next design, a sci fi version of the same truck.

Attachments:

23 May 2016 22:05 #13796 by crankshaft
Finally finished the spider mech! Woo Hoo! Really proud of myself! It's been a long and painful journey. I learned so much, texture, value, design, perspective and more. No time for celebration, I've got a stock of 20 designs in my sb ready to be mocked in sketchup and fleshed out!

Before (fail)

Now

Attachments:

24 May 2016 01:53 #13799 by crankshaft
Forgot to do a color balance on the mech.

Attachments:

24 May 2016 13:18 - 24 May 2016 13:33 #13801 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
It's amazing to see the before and after pics of your spider mech. The latest one looks much more polished and professional in every way, and it shows how much you've improved over a short time. Well done, you're right to be pleased with it.

Edit: And when painting mountains it helps to add a bit of scale and dimension if you think of them having a warm and a cool side rather than just a light and a dark side. Putting a touch of blue into the shadowed planes makes such a difference.
One of the many things I learned from watching Bob Ross on TV :lol:

28 May 2016 02:34 - 28 May 2016 02:36 #13809 by crankshaft
Wow thanks Val! It's tough learning all this but I'm so passionate about this stuff that I just keep plowing thru. Regarding the schoolism I see what you mean but I think there were a lot more underlying problems with it ie the colors, mood, time of day.

Finished a cleaner version of the gas tank. Totally cheated perspective in the name of efficiency. This is just a road map, my main concern was meeting all design specs and answering the 5 ws. In the end everything will be drawn on top of 3d with multiple camera angles and views which why I'm focusing on the design. My next update will show the fuel hatches opened and fleshed out. Really struggling with my schoolism assignment and its a mess :(

Attachments:

29 May 2016 20:48 #13819 by crankshaft
Updates. Almost done my crate so I'll update that soon. I realized a bunch of mistakes with my schoolism assignment so I chose to re do it >< so no update for a while.

Some rough train studies and sketches for a sci fi version. Not really happy with any of these but I learned so much about trains that I can draw them accurately from imagination. Before I knew nothing about them.

Just bought Hapmton's book from Amazon and it's awesome! Just wished they had a hard cover version instead.

Attachments:

30 May 2016 00:08 #13820 by crankshaft
Finished my crate! This is the look I want all my upcoming designs to look like, like brochures with complete views. I want to treat these like blue prints, as if a modeler were to actually use it to build something. I'm not entirely happy with the layout, the lines could be thinner but I think it's good enough. In case anyone is wondering why I designed a crate of all things check out Elliot Lilly's blog. He talks about how crates are highly sought out pieces in portfolios.

Also posted the original sketch where it all started. Now time to do this to all those sketches! Design number one done!

Attachments:

01 Jun 2016 05:02 - 01 Jun 2016 05:03 #13833 by microscopi
Replied by microscopi on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
Hey Crank, your mechanical designs are getting better and better, your skill in that department is pretty noticable now, you should practice anatomy now so you have them both down! :woohoo:

I guess when they say stay in school, they should of said ART school! :P But seriously i'm really digging your designs lately, because they're good!!

04 Jun 2016 03:13 #13846 by crankshaft
Thanks Micro! Let me know if you need any help on mechanical stuff.

Updates. I realized that my draftsmanship sucks (when roughing I draw everything very hairy and fuzzy) so I'm going to try just pen and marker. I have a feeling this may not work.

Figured out the design of the gas pumps of the gas tank. For stock I'm calling this one done.

I didn't intend on doing any rendering for these designs but that's probably not a good idea since that is a weakness. Instead I'll treat these the same way I did with my orange car, loose and quick. Some flat colors for the crate. Going for a sci fi science laboratory feel with a touch of industrial. Learned a lot about saturation, de saturated colors or greys are beautiful and should be used more than saturated colors. Saturated colors are like candy and should be used in small amounts.

Definitely struggling with the schoolism assignment. It may not look like much has been done but it took a lot of thinking just to understand what's happening with the colors. I'm realizing that I'm juggling many things at once here. I have no experience painting mountains clouds or understanding how colored objects react to colored light. Then there's atmospheric perspective and so much more...What do you think of it now? I think it's better than the previous.

Next design is going to be a tank mech with actual tracks and arms. Just some sketches blocking in major forms and spatial awareness.

Some design specs:
-form language: triangular, hexagonal
-It must feel like it can be unmanned or manned, there should be an drone or computer head
-I want the turret to have a long nose, similar to a jet.
-It must have arms of some sort

Train study and sketch. Learned a lot about them here, mainly that they are pretty cool as they are making it hard to redesign them. Still going to attempt my own sci fi version.