May challenge - Alien excavation

Deadline for entry:

April challenge Voting open!

Crankshaft's Sketchbook

07 Mar 2016 01:21 - 07 Mar 2016 01:24 #13477 by crankshaft
Replied by crankshaft on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
Updates.

Car rendering. Those lights and wheels are going to be a challenge...

Rough design sketching. I focus on design with these sketches and imaginative work.

Schoolism. Focused on getting the major values down and forms. Then I tried to add strands of hair and clumping. I also understand values so much better now but I'm still struggling with the fur.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

07 Mar 2016 07:51 #13479 by microscopi
Replied by microscopi on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
Love the character Crank, lots of emotion, like he's really in deep thought, you could try to use a real fur texture and just overlay it on top of your lion, it might give it a unique look that way.

The car looks really great also, the reflections really make it stand out. The wheels will be difficult but it you can make them really detailed it will make the car look just that much cooler.

You're getting better at sketching from what I can see I like the machine in the background the most.

It's like your studies have brought you up a couple levels recently, awesome! :woohoo:

12 Mar 2016 03:00 - 12 Mar 2016 03:01 #13507 by crankshaft
Updates. Thanks Micro! I think I'm going to keep at it with the fur. It's very hard but I'm seeing improvement.

Schoolism. I think I'm finally getting it.

Car rendering. Testing some stuff with the wheels.

Nuclear reactor sketch. It's based off the hoist controls at work.

Anatomy fail.

Spider mech wip. Going to do a semi detailed line drawing with those tone legs then I'm going to sketchup to get the perspective of those legs. Then I'll do another line drawing but in a better camera angle. :P

13 Mar 2016 21:39 #13522 by crankshaft
Updates. Experimeting with pen and markers. I'm really liking it and it's so much faster than pencil.

Nuclear reactor.

WW2 Scout vehicle.

Anatomy fail.

Attachments:

14 Mar 2016 20:48 #13524 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
The pen and markers work looks interesting. I've never tried markers, I think I make too many mistakes to get away with such a permanent medium. :P Just give me my pencil or graphite and more importantly let me have an eraser! :lol:

That car is really starting to come together. The addition of the wheels makes such a difference, especially with that concave geometry of the hubs. Looks really good so far.

19 Mar 2016 02:49 #13572 by crankshaft
Updates.

Tried several times to get the fur texture to look deeper but I just can't. There's going to be another similar blue rim light behind the guy.

Crappy sketches. Not too happy with these.

Attachments:

19 Mar 2016 02:51 #13573 by crankshaft
Thanks Valence! Sometimes I go back to pencil because I really like being able to erase :P

25 Mar 2016 13:44 #13596 by crankshaft

Spider mech. Planning values, color palette and lighting. My next concerns is getting texture because the mech basically has 2 sides and with it being top lit it has a good 1-3 read. Texture is usually best seen on the number 2 side. The other problem are the legs, I want to reuse the same value as the body but then the left front leg would blend/disappear so choosing a dark local value makes it harder to show form. What's a good way to go about values? I remember people saying to just stick to 2-3 local values and avoid contrast creep eg light on dark repeatedly. But then what do you about mid tone values?

28 Mar 2016 01:06 - 28 Mar 2016 01:08 #13600 by crankshaft
Updates.

So I'm seeing a fatal flaw in my personal work. The more I try to get things accurate the more my work stiffens up and becomes dead. Conversely the more I pay little to no attention to the fundamentals and just draw my work comes more lively and natural. I think it's from doing such focused time consuming studies. This whole car was done from my imagination/visual library and took me about 6 hrs. Maybe I just need to loosen up and just sketch more. I love cars!

28 Mar 2016 14:41 #13601 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
Although I don't know the specific goals of the schoolism assignments I do think that the fur still looks a little too neat and flat. Try and break it down into managable clumps to give it more form rather than layering single strands. The shorter, speckled texture on the nose is much more successful.

The shiny cars look good as usual. :)