April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Crankshaft's Sketchbook

19 Dec 2015 23:04 - 19 Dec 2015 23:07 #13044 by crankshaft
Replied by crankshaft on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
Thanks Evilrobot! I've applied all of your critique except for this bit:

Right next to the terminator on the light side will be the most saturated your local color will then wash out as it gets closer to the light source. The only area that can be more saturated is when the object bounces light back onto itself or there is subsurface scattering. I think you made your shadow side too saturated it should lose value and trend a bit warmer. (He says trending towards a warmer color in the shadows always looks better but doesn't really give an explanation for it) If you watch those student crit videos you'll learn just as much if not more than from his lectures.

I read this part over and over but I don't understand which part you referring to. Would you mind clarifying it? That way I can go back and make some changes. Thanks!

After watching some of the video feedback I realized I made some big mistakes. The red ball is supposed to floating and the form shadow of the blue shape is wrong, among many things. I pain fully re did pretty much everything. However now that I understand so much more my speed and efficiency has gone up (yay). Still struggling with the texture so I chose something easier this time. Might call this one done as I feel I did my due diligence.

Also some gesture and another wip full pose. I've expanded the limit to 2 min this time. Lessons I'm trying to apply: overlaps, long lines of axis, exaggerate, drawing smarter/stroke economy etc.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

20 Dec 2015 03:51 #13048 by evilrobot
Replied by evilrobot on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
Hey Crankshaft I thought I'd just post my assignment with some notes. This was early on so my assignment is not 100% correct either but I hope it helps out a little.

20 Dec 2015 22:44 #13051 by crankshaft
Wow thanks Evil robot! That clears it up a ton! Going to save that pic as a reminder to myself :P. However I think I'll leave the assignment as is and move on to the next one as I feel I've done enough. Thanks for the help!

More updates. Figured out placement of legs for spider mech and fixed some of the line weights. Gesture and full pose progress. I'm really struggling with the placement of the breasts (along with many things) so any feedback is appreciated.

Attachments:

21 Dec 2015 02:38 #13053 by Atto
Replied by Atto on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
Hey Crank, I did a (very) quick paint over of your anatomy study to try and show you what I look for when setting up a pose from reference. I'm not saying this is a 'correct' way and others will tell you their own method but thought it may help for you to see how someone else approaches it. I've not checked every angle of the limbs and can straight away see the angle of the trailing arm is off but its more about a methodology.
My starting point with any character is the shoulders and for this pose with such a strong arm position I would then drop in the angle of the arms.
The plane of the chest then helps me to orientate the angle of the body in space and I follow this with an imaginary line to define the centre of the torso and drop in the pelvic angle before the jaw line and a rough vertical to position the angle of the head.
Breasts are always an issue for me, they can often appear comicy and flat. A good approximation is to imagine them as an inverted comma but as always study and repetition are the most helpful tools.
Hope this helps or at the very least is possible idea of how to approach it.

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: crankshaft

25 Dec 2015 22:18 #13073 by crankshaft
Wow thanks Atto! I really like the tip of the inverted comma, that helped a ton! Thanks!

Going to work extra hard during my short holidays. These designs are a lot of fun (I have even more in my sb) but also very draining mentally and physically speaking. Amazing how different design work can be from doing studies. I've had sessions where I studied perspective for hours on end without fatigue. Now doing some personal work I have to take breaks after every hour or I get burnt out. Updates include my nuclear reactor, adding the legs to the spider mech (perspective nightmare) and the full pose.

28 Dec 2015 03:04 - 28 Dec 2015 03:05 #13082 by crankshaft
Update on my spider mech. Almost done. Just got to do some cutaways/opening parts. I LOVE MACHINES! Give me an engine and I will detail every NUT and BOLT!

Attachments:

28 Dec 2015 04:39 - 28 Dec 2015 04:40 #13083 by crankshaft
Also some updates on my nuclear reactor. Still trying to squeeze more depth out of the values. It still feels off.

Attachments:

28 Dec 2015 04:45 #13084 by crankshaft
Also a car I'll be working on later from my traditional sb. This was drawn from imagination.

Attachments:

28 Dec 2015 23:25 #13087 by crankshaft
Schoolism assignment wip. Still lots to do but I'm really struggling on understanding anitsopic reflection for the cylinder.

Attachments:

28 Dec 2015 23:59 #13088 by crankshaft
Finished the previous full pose so moving to another one. I'm really struggling to understand the structure and perspective of the torso/hips.

Attachments: