May challenge - Alien excavation

Deadline for entry:

April challenge Voting open!

Crankshaft's Sketchbook

29 Dec 2015 00:04 - 29 Dec 2015 00:05 #13089 by crankshaft
Replied by crankshaft on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
And some more gesture.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29 Dec 2015 00:52 #13090 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
That's a big update, Crank, lots of interesting stuff there.

One thing I noticed from the spider mech (and from your previous engine room) is that your flares and light bloom tend to be a little dark, especially during the sketching phase. If you do want to put them in early then you should keep them on another layer (set to Screen or Linear Dodge) and paint them in with a soft brush with a very saturated colour. This will give you a better sense of the light while you develop the picture.

I'm liking the way these assignments are making you use much more colour than your usual pictures. It's the best way to learn. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: crankshaft

01 Jan 2016 22:23 #13116 by crankshaft
Thanks Valance! Color is very scary to me but that's the best way to learn, to attack it head on. I've noted your feedback about the flares and will upload the mech soon. Thanks!

Schoolism assignment. Almost done. Learned lots. I can't believe I made it this far.

Attachments:

03 Jan 2016 20:13 - 03 Jan 2016 20:15 #13125 by crankshaft
So I've been doing a lot of design sketches in my traditional sb which is great because I now have several small worlds that I'm eager to develop. On the downside they're all so messy that they're hard to present.

Anyways here's an update on my spider mech, and nuclear reactor. Getting the door to articulate in 3 d space was a nightmare to develop. I've also fixed the line weights. Not sure if I should do a full rendering yet. As for the reactor, I've learned a lot from my past mistakes and I'm going to focus on the preliminary stuff before getting into elaborate detail. Going early into color *gulp*

Attachments:

03 Jan 2016 21:07 #13126 by Atto
Replied by Atto on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
Crank, Nice to see you jumping into colour so early with the reactor pic and you're also developing those tones earlier too which is something I'm attempting with my new pic for the next challenge.
The spider mech is now looking very cool too, that use of desaturated colour on the two rear legs is working really nicely and your background looks a great deal more sophisticated too. Those spots of light are now coming across much better and the reflected light from the blue illumination above the door is lovely.

The only crit I would have at this stage is, just watch the tones on the logo you have there. There's not enough difference between the colour of the logo and its shadow and therefore reads a little 'blobby' :blink:

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.

09 Jan 2016 02:50 #13147 by crankshaft
Super tired these days but I just love designing stuff from imagination. Updates.

Nuclear reactor: Still trying to get the mood and feel. Working zoomed out and I think it's getting better. Being new to color I'm still searching some photos for a suitable palette to work off. For now I'm just experimenting with what I feel works best.

Power generator. I got the idea from a car battery when I was, well, replacing a car battery for a customer. This one has doors for storing power cells that are used for electricity.

I realized I made some mistakes in my assignment so I went back and adjusted as necessary.

Mock up of what the spider mech will look like in the end. I want this to be like a brochure.

Finally figured out the mechanics of the door and did some design on the interior. It has an anti infantry machine gun that swings to action to provide cover for the mobilizing troops when the door opens.

09 Jan 2016 02:53 #13148 by crankshaft
Thanks Atto! I'm a bit scared about doing a more finished rendering *gulp.* Eg getting rid of the lines. As for logo I noticed what you mean and fixed it. Thanks!

09 Jan 2016 03:11 #13149 by crankshaft
Anatomy wip. I was struggling with getting the deltoids on the previous pose so I decided to do a separate study only to encounter more problems. for this pose I'm struggling with the knees and the glutes and delts.

Attachments:

10 Jan 2016 03:00 - 10 Jan 2016 03:01 #13153 by crankshaft
Added line weights to the mech doors and gun and re organized the mock up brochure for the mech. I'm now doing a full rendering for the mech.

Attachments:

10 Jan 2016 23:26 #13155 by crankshaft
Started work on my next schoolism assignment. Didn't realize how hard it is to render grapes. The rest is still untouched so I just cropped it out for now. Also did more work on my reactor. Still working big to small.

Attachments: