May challenge - Alien excavation

Deadline for entry:

April challenge Voting open!

Crankshaft's Sketchbook

10 Oct 2015 02:39 - 10 Oct 2015 02:47 #12566 by crankshaft
Replied by crankshaft on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
Photo rendering study/wip. This is where I learned all the info on cut lines that you see on the previous studies.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 Oct 2015 19:21 #12576 by crankshaft
Did this for someone else but others can benefit from it as well. How to converge objects that are not level but are on a ramp going up to a false horizon line.

Study of the reflective hi light relative to the position of an object.

What happens to the reflective hi light if the camera moves or if the object moves.

Study of the neck and 3D carving.

Learning how to bend the body back.

I've developed a new system of sketching. These will be "pure design" working sketches where I focus on idea output/generation and idea maturation, not producing pretty sketches. This was a big problem for me because it was almost impossible to balance both. This also shows you my thinking process/problem solving.

Parts of an upcoming spider mech.

11 Oct 2015 19:23 #12577 by crankshaft
Attachments:

12 Oct 2015 03:16 #12583 by Digital Dave
Looks like the Spider Mech might be pretty cool, once you put it all together.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

17 Oct 2015 02:37 - 17 Oct 2015 02:40 #12630 by crankshaft
Thanks Dave! A problem I have is having too many ideas and trying to include everything. Doing these sketches I hope to improve my ability to develop some workflow to generating my ideas.

Finished that photo study. Learned a lot here! Also posted a "tips" page where I share some of what I learned.

Blueprint sketches for building my spider mech. This is the rough stage, I'm focusing on design not eye candy.

17 Oct 2015 02:50 #12631 by crankshaft
Attachments:

17 Oct 2015 20:50 #12634 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
I like that photo study. At first glance the alignment of the axle (is that the right word?) seems slightly off but the smooth texture and details are very nice and that sheen of bright, reflected highlight really helps to sell the image in a convincing and solid way.

18 Oct 2015 13:25 #12637 by crankshaft
Thanks Val! Yup I just noticed that mistake but I'm considering it done. Learned lots from it!

Attachments:

18 Oct 2015 15:02 #12638 by Digital Dave
I also didn't notice it, until Valence pointed it out. But if you ever do return to it, you could always make the adjustment on the back side, and keep the angle from the shaft as is. It still works, just doesn't line up with the front as is. ... But still looks good.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

24 Oct 2015 01:49 #12686 by crankshaft
Thanks Dave! However a big problem I'm trying to overcome is becoming too attached to my artwork...being too much of a perfectionist. I need to loosen up and "let go" and realize that things will never be perfect so I'm letting that study go. However you guys are right.

Ok refining my sketching process, going to do them traditionally then go over them to clean them up in digital. This is to improve my line quality and soon I'll get into line weights. Rough design iterations for my spider mech.

Attachments: