May challenge - Alien excavation

Deadline for entry:

April challenge Voting open!

Crankshaft's Sketchbook

17 Aug 2015 00:08 #12054 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
That pic with the red lines is interesting. That low vertical vanishing point creates a nice dramatic effect and makes it feel somewhat vertiginous which really pulls you in and down through that central area. You should keep working with that one.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

22 Aug 2015 03:18 #12090 by crankshaft
Replied by crankshaft on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
Thanks Valence! However I still need to finish my engine room. I'm moving on to color and things are getting pretty tough.Thanks for the idea!

Studies! Wing tips.

Spine study.

Rotating planes.

Attachments:

23 Aug 2015 15:10 #12105 by crankshaft
Spine studies. Will release some design sketches and engine room soon.

Attachments:

23 Aug 2015 23:34 #12110 by crankshaft
Big updates! My engine room. Tell me what you think. Some things I'm aware of: It's getting very busy in the center, the back could be pushed back more. Also is there a filter in PS that allows a slight blur over a complete area?

Attachments:

23 Aug 2015 23:39 - 23 Aug 2015 23:41 #12111 by crankshaft
Design sketches.

Spine study.

Attachments:

24 Aug 2015 22:26 - 24 Aug 2015 22:30 #12115 by microscopi
Replied by microscopi on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
Engine room update is starting to come together Crank! :cheer: The added details help you see the objects more and how they relate to each other. Do you know where the light sources are going to be yet? It looks like the center is your main focus and the background is going to remain dark, so no need to add any complex details there.

I would focus on the lighting and then you can figure out what you should spend your time detailing more, just what i've noticed. I can see in your pic an awesome lighting setup that would look cool, but it's yours so I can't touch it B) Lighting will help bring the objects to life more, but you can go in any direction with what you have now, as it's so detailed with a good composition already. Dig the new sketches too, the one in the upper left corner is my fav, interesting perspective, I like those kinds of compositions in pictures, looking up from the viewers standpoint.

25 Aug 2015 11:27 #12126 by Digital Dave
Engine room is looking very nice. Look forward to seeing it's completion.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

25 Aug 2015 18:39 - 25 Aug 2015 18:40 #12137 by crankshaft
Anatomy study and the use of lines in gesture.

Study of reflected light and how local value affects it.

Quick design sketches to build my speed and efficiency in getting ideas from my head to paper. I have too many ideas, they just pour out of my head like water.

A big lesson I learned from my engine room is to group value ranges together rather than isolate them throughout the image.

Rendering study. Lots of notes here.

25 Aug 2015 18:42 #12138 by crankshaft
Thanks Dave! There are a lot of problems with it, particularly the value ranges and the lack of depth. I also need to work on how light affects certain values.

Thanks Micro! The main light source will be the central turbine with a dim light source overhead.

25 Aug 2015 19:06 #12139 by crankshaft
Since my (only) strength is on man made objects I'm going to share tips here and then as I feel there is a definite void in this area. Be sure to get them while you can! :P

-Most made objects are symmetrical so learning how to mirror objects becomes super important.

-Most man made items are designed to be more functional/practical then visually pleasing. Don't put useless details unless they are related to the function of the object. This is true in real life, engineers wouldn't put stuff that costs money for no reason.

-To do articulating/moving parts think of the purpose of the object. It doesn't have to be an epic mech. Eg Think of a microwave, it has a moving turntable to better transfer heat to your food.