May challenge - Alien excavation

Deadline for entry:

April challenge Voting open!

Crankshaft's Sketchbook

17 Apr 2016 15:31 - 17 Apr 2016 15:33 #13692 by crankshaft
Replied by crankshaft on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
Updates.

Working on the next schoolism assignment.

Spider mech wip. Legs are getting much better. Almost there, just need to line them up and connect them properly.

Muscle car design sketches and iterations. Trying to figure which grille and front end I'm going to use.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 Apr 2016 15:35 #13693 by crankshaft
Electrical generator/crate wip.

Attachments:

23 Apr 2016 03:01 #13703 by crankshaft
Updates. Progress everywhere. Thing are really tiring with work but I'm still managing to stay on top of things. My spider mech is a mess at the moment.

Crate update. It's going to have 2 main screens, one that folds away when the generator is turned off and one that is the user interface (top).

Schoolism wip. This is going to be hard.

Going to share some tips in hopes of making this sb less boring. Some will apply to all fields while most will relate to mechanical stuff.

-Proportions are constant. If your proportions look good in side view but bad in 3/4 view then there's something wrong. Re design it sooner rather than later or else it will bite you in the back.

-Progress can be very indirect. Just because you don't have any drawings to show ie chicken sketches that doesn't mean you didn't improve. I've learned a lot about muscle cars and "American tell tale forms and characteristics" so the next time I need to draw an American vehicle the knowledge is already there. Even if you didn't draw anything you learned important relevant theory that helps you design better for next time.

23 Apr 2016 03:02 #13704 by crankshaft
I don't know if I should be posting these sketches of my muscle car wip but I think it's important to show what's behind the scenes. These are not meant to be pretty, I'm building a car here. I'm trying to solve problems. Instead these sketches are my thinking process. Included the pen to show the scale of the sb, of which I carry on the go. Amazingly I can squeeze out a whole hour of sketching on the run thanks to this little guy!

Anatomy fail.

26 Apr 2016 00:09 #13711 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
I do like watching these Schoolism pictures develop. Always interesting. :)
Is this one a greyscale assignment? Or is that just the first stage before colouring?

You seem to be doing great stuff in SketchUp too!

26 Apr 2016 01:42 - 26 Apr 2016 01:44 #13712 by crankshaft
Thanks Val! It's supposed to be in color. I just have no idea how to render skin or even start so I thought the best place to being would be in greyscale.

Spider update. Crit at will, I'll definitely need it. Rendering and lighting feels off. Mainly focusing on the fundamentals ie getting the values to read. My main concern is exactly that, the values. My last mech the legs and back had very bad values.

Since I tend to make my stuff low contrast I went overboard with the contrast adjustments. However now something feels off. It feels overexposed.

Attachments:

30 Apr 2016 02:55 #13716 by crankshaft
Schoolism update. This is going to be hard. Never done skin before. Fortunately Sam says skin is one of the hardest things to render plus a lot of students seemed to struggle as well.

Finally finished the muscle car! Another design product to add to my catalog. Can't wait to flesh it out and clean the perspective but time to sketch another design! The car is based off the 1965 Pontiac GTO and Ford Fairlane.

Next design, a military Jeep. This will be easy and quick as there's not much to design as the vehicle looks good as is, so I'm basically just copying.

Mech leg flesh out. Was really hard trying to get the feet to look like it should work.

30 Apr 2016 03:00 #13717 by crankshaft
Realized my anatomy looks like rocks so I've started doing gestures. Aiming for 60 secs and I'm going to number each page to gauge my progress. Here are the first pages.

01 May 2016 22:12 #13723 by crankshaft
Finished the Jeep sketch! Not much changed from what they look in real life, the Jeep is pretty cool as it is. However, I learned a lot about design and I now have the visuals stored in memory.

My next designs will be some interiors, like a library and an underground tunnel. Once I'm done the spider mech I'm going back to each of these sketches and fleshing them out.

Gestures. I'm applying what I've learned from Proko and people's advice ie. Use the longest lines, use minimum lines, think in terms of flowing action lines, but something just feels off. It feels like I'm focusing on contours too much. Gotta keep practicing, I need lots of it.

07 May 2016 01:57 - 07 May 2016 01:58 #13737 by crankshaft
Doing lots of gesture sketches. Some are just poses without a time limit where I try to combine both my slow studies and the rhythm of timed gestures. They're the ones with more structure.

Trying to feel the pose, use alternating c curves etc. It still feels like I'm focusing more on anatomy and contours. Gotta practice more.

Schoolism update. Lots of fun trying something very different. Very hard as well. Crit away.

Spider mech update. Still not content with the design of the legs but I think it'll do for now. Crit away.

Library interior sketch. I looked at refs of London interiors from a book and wanted to combine some art noveau and modern architecture in one. It's probably too rough for others to understand so I'll post a slightly cleaner version later.