April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Gaming

22 Apr 2019 01:46 #24467 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Gaming
Still several months behind Banj, but I am in the month of Hearthfire now!
Got the Dwemer cube! As with a lot of things, it was much easier second time around when I knew where it was. :) And I only had to kill three people (the guy on the bridge with the skeleton was tougher.) I may go back to the ruins later to loot all those coins and cogs (and kill more people) but for now I just wanted to advance the main story quest so it was cube then scarper!
I then invested a bit of cash in some well chosen training to do an efficient level-up and maxed out the multiplier for Strength, Speed and Agility! Time now to meditate. :zzz: And I had that dream again.

But from now on there's no "second-time" easiness. All experiences are now new, so who knows what will happen next? :pirate:
(Well, apart from my frequent deaths. We all know that's gonna happen. :lol:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

22 Apr 2019 08:36 #24468 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Gaming
I finished playing through the campaign missions in Aven Colony, making "Expedition President" (though I think high commander sounds better). Once done there was a bit of a cinematic with an attempted "twist" in the storyline, that was more sappy than anything.... But whatever. Question is if I'll enjoy playing the sandbox games - the maps are the same as in the campaign. I do prefer games that provide random maps...

And so far, surprisingly (or not, if you know the game), I haven't died once. There are referendums every few "sols" so basically if people are unhappy, they can vote me out of office, but so far so good... (They only need to be 50% happy.)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

23 Apr 2019 00:21 #24469 by Valence
President now?
Your promotions are coming fast. God Emperor next? :lol:

Back in the world of Tomb Raider I'm now riding a bike in Mexico to try and find Megingjord!
And my PC didn't like those baddies in the previous level. Frame... rate... s l o w . :lol: When I eventually quit the game I noticed that Windows had automatically opened up the Intel Graphics Control Panel. :S I think it wants me to turn the settings down. :)

23 Apr 2019 07:07 #24471 by Charlotte
I'm afraid Expedition President is as high as it goes. :)

28 Apr 2019 08:26 - 28 Apr 2019 08:26 #24525 by Charlotte
A friend tipped me off about the game Deponia being free for download at the moment, here: freebies.indiegala.com/deponia/

It requires you to sign up and since I'm lazy like that, I checked on GOG and sure enough, it was on sale there, 90% off. So I paid less than a dollar for it. And why not pay a bit - it's all hand drawn graphics, it deserves some love. (They have a sale on Indie games which ends in about 37 hours: www.gog.com/promo/indie_week)

Here's some info:
Help Rufus, the poor boy from the junkyard, to win over the girl from heaven. Only with this rich girl from his dreams he might be able to escape Deponia and, unexpectedly, to save the planet.

Key Features
Unique comic style with hand-drawn HD resolution 2D graphics
Bizarre characters and wacky humor
Challenging puzzles and hours of dialogue
Unique universe in the tradition of Douglas Adams (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy), Terry Pratchett (Discworld) and Matt Groening (The Simpsons, Futurama)
From the creators of the award-winning games Edna & Harvey: The Breakout, Edna & Harvey: Harvey’s New Eyes and The Whispered World

The following user(s) said Thank You: Valence

28 Apr 2019 12:38 #24526 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Gaming
I actually already have Deponia but haven't played it.

Gone Home is currently free on Humble in their DRM free trove (normally requires a current subscription to access the games there, but this one is available to everyone): www.humblebundle.com/monthly/trove?partner=eb

It's basically an interactive story where you wander round and find information about what happened while you were away.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Valence

28 Apr 2019 12:46 #24527 by Charlotte
Yeah, my friend tipped me off about Gone Home too, but i didn't think it seemed very ineteresting :P
I'm not sure whether I'd like Deponia either, but I did like the graphics, and as I've said before, that's the most important thing! :D

28 Apr 2019 12:50 #24528 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Gaming
Actually I have Deponia: The Complete Journey which seems to be all the games in the series combined. Maybe one day I'll get around to playing it, but first I have to complete one more** mission in Morrowind.

** many many more missions, some of which probably require endlessly wandering from one place to another place to find something to give to a guy that is somewhere else, while leaving big piles of armour and weaponry on the ground as I go. :pirate:

28 Apr 2019 14:09 - 28 Apr 2019 14:10 #24532 by Valence

but first I have to complete one more** mission in Morrowind.

I did warn everyone that it's strangely compelling. :)

I haven't had the time for it recently so instead I've been playing games that I can get through in short, quick fixes rather than Morrowind's long, slow walks. And one of those quick ones is Burnout: Paradise that I grabbed the other week. I've always loved the Burnout games and playing one with the freedom of an open world is quite a satisfying way to lose 20 minutes.
One downside of the open world is the way you can now take a wrong turn and get lost during races and the lack of a quick restart when you lose is annoying. You have to manually drive back across the city to the start line! :shakefist: But there are so many stunt ramps along the way to keep you distracted and entertained. :)

07 May 2019 07:37 - 07 May 2019 07:42 #24663 by Charlotte
I'm back in Subnautica. I had started a game on the hardest mode, but since I can't really recall "where I was" in that game, I started a new one in the ordinary (survival) mode. Mostly keeping busy building my base just now, but I can't recall where I found the moonpool fragments... :dry:

and I'm only mentioning this because the program I have to use at work is sloooooooooow today. *yawn*

EDIT: oh and I had to look up what floaters are actually good for, after experimenting with them and not getting them to attach to anything... (except some poor fish - they're still bobbing by every now and then). Turns out they really aren't useful. Anymore. Apparently they could be used to lift broken down subs and such closer to the surface for repairs.

And I did try Deponia, one day. Kind of like it but like with all puzzles games I find myself running around frantically trying to find something that'll make it clear to me what I need, and failing. I had to look up a walkthough to finish the VERY FIRST, simplest bit. :( In my defense it's not particularly logical... (for instance you need a mousetrap to catch your escaped toothbrush...)