May challenge - Alien excavation

Deadline for entry:

April challenge Voting open!

Gaming

15 Jun 2020 14:04 #29574 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Gaming
True... I'd better find room for the installation files, though :P

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Jun 2020 01:42 #29614 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Gaming
Bloody snakes! :pout:

Still annoyed at the previous death, and the fact I was carrying so much stuff at the time, I made my way back to the spot to pick up all the goodies off my dead body. I found the glowy-death-point-light-pillar-thingy. Look there it is! Goodies are just over there.

Unfortunately the snakes are still over there. :(
I tried to be sneaky but... death.
Went back... death.
Returned carrying a torch now that it was dark and got attacked by a raptor before even reaching it.
Tried an even sneakier route round the other side and the snake was too clever and spotted me. I then attempted escape by diving into the water and... the snakes can swim! :cry:

"Enough of the snakes," I then said to myself, "I'm not gonna get those goodies back."
Let's start again from the beach. However I then found myself respawned near a big gang of Compsognathus(es?) and annoyingly some of them wanted to follow me like this...

...while, more annoyingly, others wanted to attack me. :blink:
Make your mind up. :dunno: Friend or foe? Pick a side!
The angry ones broke my leg and I hobbled about before dying slowly. Only the GeForceNow one hour countdown saved me from more deaths. :lol:

Gonna start making some kind of storage next time. That's probably the best plan.

And PS. There is a setting right at the start that when clicked allows you to finally see your position on the map instead of having to triangulate from various landmarks. *phew*
Attachments:

16 Jun 2020 07:15 - 16 Jun 2020 10:50 #29615 by Charlotte
Well... I stayed up late playing Banished (a game I got a while ago and didn't play much) until 2.30 or so... Then I woke up at 6.30 or so and was STARVING. So I got up and had breakfast and then of course I had to try ARK. I mean, how hard can it be? It has a tutorial right there at the start!

And said tutorial keeps referring to the "Use button" which of course doesn't mean a thing to me. But I managed to meet some anchylosaur like thing and a party (!?) dodo, before dying of starvation. Actually I exited before dying. And btw I'm playing single player, for now at least. Until I understand how it all works.

EDIT: Doing better second time around. Found lots of berries.... Tried to tame an animal. Accidentally killed it? I killed one of the same kind anyway. Could've sworn I fed it. But hey, I got hides and could make shoes. *shrugs* Now it's night. An awfully long night.... :dry:

EDIT again: Oooh dawn!
Oh and I saw a BIG trilobite earlier... But I couldn't feed/tame it :(

I've seen absolutely NO snakes yet? And only a few raptors at a distance...

EDIT 3: OK, now I've met the compsognathuses... and I see what you mean.... "kill kill kill" "love love love" "KILLKILLKILL" (and I died, probably should take a break anyhow. )

EDIT 4: Tried again.... apparently map markers stay even if you delete all single player data? Anyway I created a new hooman (and I wish there was more to do about facial features... in MMO you don't want everyone to look exactly the same, do you? Not to mention I tried to make a black character first and the nose just wasn't right....) and I tried the third of the easy starting locations, found a lovely shady tree for a first camp site, and was promptly murdered by a level 22 carnosaur. (addendum: "carnotaur". Meatbull? :huh:)

EDIT 5: You're overheating! You need to cool down immediately! *goes into water* You're too cold, you should try to find warmth immediately! *tries to find way out of water without torch (because it goes out in wet)* *gets eaten by piranha*

16 Jun 2020 11:23 #29616 by Valence
There are other starting locations?
Oh, wait, is that when you create another character? :hmm:

Part of my next plan is to try and get another spawn point further north. I think you need to create a bed for that. In the end I was a bit annoyed that I wasted last night chasing my own dead loot when I really should have been creating storage and supplies. :confident:
Make a plan and stick to it! :stare:

I've worked out that the Compys are friendly when separated but become confident and aggressive when in large groups. And I don't understand the "Party" Dodo joke either. :lol: Some of them seem to be wearing a party hat and when I killed one I got a slice of cake that I couldn't eat. :dunno:

And I envy your snake avoidance skills. They're usually in the grassy areas which makes them difficult to spot and they're very fast and poisonous. They just bite you once and your doomed. :dead:

PS. Does "Use" refer to the "E" key? Or maybe the left mouse button if you're carrying a tool? :dumb:

16 Jun 2020 11:55 #29617 by Charlotte
I think that's what Use does, yes. Or what's used to Use.... :S

I just found a whole little thatch hut in one of them glowy pillar things. But I saw a raptor outside and hid, and now I'm not sure I dare leave again, because I have no windows... And I am in a kind of grassy area, but so far I've still not seen any snakes...

16 Jun 2020 13:27 #29621 by Valence
An entire hut? :ohmy:

Lucky you. The best I've got from them is shoes and a hat. Oh, I did get a saddle that I obviously can't use yet but immediately lost it after another death. :P

16 Jun 2020 13:32 #29622 by Charlotte
I've only managed to reach two such pillars. The first had the most basic tools (which I had already made but I guess extras can be useful) and the second had all the pieces for one hut :)

16 Jun 2020 13:42 #29623 by Charlotte
Oh and Valence.... Can you zoom in your game? During my very first try, I somehow accidentally switched camera so I could see my character from behind, but I can't seem to do that again, nor zoom in or out (and I've tried changing key bindings twice). I have having my face in the grass while trying to keep a lookout for predators.... :dry:

16 Jun 2020 13:55 - 16 Jun 2020 13:55 #29624 by Valence
The mouse wheel zooms the camera between first and third person mode, just like GW2 and Skyrim, although the third person cam doesn't zoom out as far in Ark.

There's a level lock on those supply drop pillars so I can't access most of them but I did get into a level 3 white one for my shoes.

16 Jun 2020 14:05 #29626 by Charlotte
:dry: right.... so I'll just try to find my mouse... :(
(I honestly have no idea where it is. It's not still in the box I packed my computer thingies but it doesn't seem to be unpacked either. And I'm guessing I put it inside some sort of little box /carton for the move but I can't really remember...)