April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Gaming

14 Jun 2020 21:24 - 14 Jun 2020 21:24 #29557 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Gaming
:huh: What's that it's carrying?

This reminds me of a dream I had a few nights ago.... I think I was chasing someone... maybe... But I had to get into some sort of purple nautilus like hover craft to chase after a dinosaur, only the dino (and a friend, apparently, as there were two) was injured or dead or whatever and I found it in the water on the other side of this little island .... and the colouring of the dream was kind of greyish with the purplish nautilus, and very purple/violet dinosaurs and I think a mix of purple and orange poppies... :blink: (and no, no real poopies had influenced the dream in anyway or actually I'm lying now because a friend on FB had posted a pic of her orange poppies, so there's that.... and I saw some HUGE orange poppies in a garden nearby, but that was after the the dream! I swear!)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 Jun 2020 21:41 #29558 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Gaming
I think it's eating a hotdog.
It's a big model outside a place called "Rex's Diner" so I guess it's a Diner-saur. :dry:

Your dream sounds like you've been watching some disturbing episodes of Barney And Friends. :lol:

14 Jun 2020 22:22 #29559 by Charlotte
who?

and diner-saur! :D

14 Jun 2020 23:39 #29560 by Valence
Not a dream. A nightmare! :argh:

15 Jun 2020 01:52 - 15 Jun 2020 01:58 #29561 by Valence
Damn it! Damn it! Damn it! :rage:

I died. And it wasn't one of those dinosaurs this time, nor one of those massive nasty snakes that I thankfully haven't seen since the start. Nope, I just fell off a cliff again. :oops:
Lost ALL the stuff I harvested and respawned back at the damn beach. I have learnt that you can get that stuff back if you come back to the place where you died, it's just lying around there for you to pick up but that would require better navigation skills on my behalf and at the moment I'm finding the map to be most unhelpful.

So I started harvesting again and did some more crafting. Pick axe. Hatchet too this time and more clothes. Built a campfire and lit it in time for the looming darkness but it didn't last long. Torches seem better for light and fires are apparently more for warmth/cooking. So I crafted a torch as well. :)

I then spent some time looking through my memories/engrams for the things I know how to craft, hoping to find the storage box and it was indeed there. I've leveled up enough for that and I also found that I can start building a rudimentary base now. Only a thatch one but it's possible to do, providing I harvest enough stuff.
But where to build it? :hmm: Especially seeing as I get lost quite a bit. I think I'll just keep exploring for the time being, try to find my way around this place before commiting to an area, making sure to keep harvesting and hopefully not dying and losing it all again.

So I sneaked around the opposite side of that beach this time, crept past the Spinosaur and climbed up a series of rocks to see these long necked fellows far below...

At this point I realised that my hair is slowly growing with the passage of time. :)
But never mind hair, I really fancied getting down there to have a closer look at those big beasties. Now... try to find a path down without falling. I turned to have a look round for a safe route and saw one of those massive snakes lunging at me!! :ohmy:
Quick, equip the spear, equip the spear, stab it, stab it, STABBIT!

And I'm dead again. :rage:

Well, that's one way to find your way back to the campfire. :eyeroll:
Attachments:

15 Jun 2020 05:34 - 15 Jun 2020 05:36 #29562 by Charlotte
:giggle:

can you use mods? If so there might be a death marker mod.... (In my experience it's quite common to be able to retrieve at least some lost goods by returning to place of death in games were you lose inventory... Although in Subnautica if that inventory includes fish, they have usually swum away by the time you get back... :dry:)

EDIT: and about Barney. That's probably the ugliest dinosaur jawline I have ever seen. And it's definitely not the dino I dreamt of. :stare: Mine were darker purple and had no green belly. And looked more like sauropods, too...

15 Jun 2020 11:20 #29564 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Gaming
Why are you keeping live fish in your inventory?

15 Jun 2020 11:29 #29565 by Valence
You can use mods :) but I can't :( That's another downside to GFN. (I'd really like one of those free camera mods for Witcher 3 but :shrug:)

Now you mention it I think there is a death marker but I'm not sure how long they last. I recall when the Spinosaur kept getting me I noticed an increasing number of green light pillars appearing in that area but they weren't there yesterday.
I think I'll be happier when I learn how to navigate better with the map. I feel some more YouTube videos will be coming my way :lol:

15 Jun 2020 12:06 #29568 by Charlotte
@Banj - because dead fish rot?

@Valence - I'm looking at the ARK on Epic now. It's still free for a few more days so I'm trying to clean up my computer by first emptying my external drive so I can reformat that and use it to store some stuff. I also have my old desktop of course. I'm not sure to what extent it's working but I'm thinking if I have everything connected to the usb hub then all I need to do to switch between laptop and desktop would be move the usb hub cable from one to the other... Anyway, trying to empty the external thingy first, and that takes time because there's too much on it to just dump it on the laptop... But anyway, my question is.... do you know anything about those ARK DLC's? They seem to all claim to be 60 Gb which is the same as the original game so it sounds a bit.... wrong?

15 Jun 2020 13:54 #29572 by Valence
I can't say with any certainty because I'm playing it without downloading/installing anything. :P

A quick google suggest that it varies from person to person depending on how much of the DLC they have and whether they have mods in addition to that. It seems the base game is about 60-70GB and I'm seeing a lot of people saying the extra maps take it up to 130-140. But then there are others that seem to have folders of over 200GB! :ohmy:

I'd certainly take the opportunity to claim it even if you can't install it yet. Free is free, after all. :)