May challenge - Alien excavation

Deadline for entry:

April challenge Voting open!

Gaming

16 Jun 2020 14:10 #29627 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Gaming
Found it! It was inside a camera box (which I only looked in because the camera in question is already on one of the desk drawers... :dry:)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Jun 2020 21:33 #29629 by Charlotte
After trying the ARK and not quite feeling up to facing any more dinosaurs (who'd have thought!?) I decied to try out Assassin's Creed. Took like 15 minutes just to patch and get started (I think I had like 4 "will you allow this program to make changes to your computer" questions) and then it glued itself to the left upper quarter of my screen. I checked the settings. It was set to fullscreen, but it certainly wasn't using it. Rather annoying, actually. Also, I don't think I make a very good assassin. I basically just killed all those "tutorial level" guards in front of every one. The women and a few men seemed afraid, the kids I think cheered me on? Anyway I had a bit of an anti climax at the end of the first assassination, when I just COULD NOT get off a ladder in the right place... When I finally managed, it took like 3 seconds to kill the guy.... after all that trouble!?

Not sure what I think of it. I mean, it seems amusing (if you're allowed to call assassinations amusing....) but that little square window up in the corner really bugged me. And uhm... CAN the assassin actually miss and fall when jumping? Besides figuring out if he should turn left or right or climb up or down, he seemed to pretty much do all the moving all by himself...

Much better animations than in ARK though. Those cheapskates only animated the upper half of characters harvesting materials! It looks absolutely stupid and very very off.

16 Jun 2020 23:00 - 17 Jun 2020 00:56 #29630 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Gaming
I have "windowed" problems with GTA (and LA Noire now I think about it) but in that case it does reset properly after going into settings.

Is this AC Syndicate?
Are you running it at your screen's normal resolution? If so you could try running it in borderless windowed mode.
Or you could venture into the INI files. :argh:

Post Ark EDIT:

Now that was a more productive session with no snakes (and I read up and discovered that you should gorge on Stimberries to counteract the snake poison. Remember that for later.)
Didn't travel very far this time and instead just stocked up on supplies and crafted lots of spare stuff for when I respawn. Even made a slingshot to kill the annoying Compys from a safe(ish) distance! :evil:
Got my first "You are encumbered" message! :woohoo:
And I unencumbered myself with storage boxes.

Hey! You stay away from my boxes, Mister Moschops! :stare:

I've now collected and stored so much that I'm scared of actually going anywhere. :lol:
Attachments:

17 Jun 2020 09:48 #29631 by Charlotte

Is this AC Syndicate?
Are you running it at your screen's normal resolution? If so you could try running it in borderless windowed mode.
Or you could venture into the INI files. :argh:

yes
dunno :dumb:
:argh:

Post Ark EDIT:

I read up and discovered that you should gorge on Stimberries to counteract the snake poison. Remember that for later.

Me too!!!!

Didn't travel very far this time and instead just stocked up on supplies and crafted lots of spare stuff for when I respawn. Even made a slingshot to kill the annoying Compys from a safe(ish) distance! :evil:
Got my first "You are encumbered" message! :woohoo:
And I unencumbered myself with storage boxes.

I have two storage boxes in my hut now. One for resources and one for extra clothes and tools... And yeah, that makes you wanna stay close... I've also taken to make signs, so I can place them about in a way that helps me find my way back to that darn camouflaged coloured hut.

Oh and I was encumbered once. I noticed I started moving slowly when I tried to chase a dodo and it walked faster than I did :dry: Then I picked up a few more items and suddenly I wouldn't move at all :blink: So I dropped stuff off, intending to make a box and pick it up but it went poof before I had a chance. I think the poofing times of food and dropped items is a bit short. Meat often spoils before I even have time to cook it. And you'd think cooking it would extent it's life somewhat but no... Berries spoils fast enough to make taming animals almost impossible because you need to simultaneously go berry picking.... In real life berries would keep about a day at least... :dunno:

17 Jun 2020 11:31 #29632 by Valence
Sometimes Alt-Tabbing in and out of the game can make the full screen work, but only sometimes. :dry: That's the first thing I try when GTA does it.
Google shows that you're not alone with that problem even though I've never experienced it. The only thing I get with that game on GFN is that it sometimes opens in 16:10 rather than 16:9 ratios.
I do enjoy AC Syndicate, once you get to London and it turns into a full open world game with character switching it's great fun. But you're right about the free running, the more recent games are much more forgiving than the older ones but it is still possible to fall.

Meanwhile in Guild Wars...

PIG MAGIC!!! :woohoo:

I was turned into an oinking porker after another frog vomitted in my face. Magic vomit, of course. :dry: All so that I could sniff out some truffles.
There was apparently an event going on nearby but I took too long working out how to turn back into my usual form. I thought I was gonna be stuck as a pig forever. :ohmy:

Also I noticed some new red icons on the map. I was obviously on the lookout for remnants but these icons were really small and when I hovered over them with the cursor it said Mentor and I think they were real players? Don't know what that was all about. :dunno:

And then I died. I've moved away from that forest and into a place called Kessex to find some more quests but they're a little higher than my current level and I ended up fighting for my life a lot until... :dead:
Attachments:

17 Jun 2020 12:10 #29633 by Charlotte
I think that "frog vomit" is probably supposed to be a "magic breath" :P
and yes, some players have some sort of status that makes them show on the map. I never paid them any mind, myself...
As for Kessex Hills, the centaurs aren't too bad if you can pick them off one by one from a distance. Avoid herds, though. And there's probably loads more things to avoid too if you're low level. I suspect you''re so fond of exploring you run too far too fast :P Remember to do some levelling up, in between, too!

17 Jun 2020 12:13 #29634 by Charlotte
Oh and I tried to kill a dilophosaur, got killed, found my way back to wear I died and got all my stuff back, tried and succeeded to kill a dilophosaur and while I was skinning it I was attacked by another one that I never saw. Are there invisible dinos? :? Anyway I survived and am currently hiding recovering, in my hut. I only got a measly 9 hides from that dead dino though and it's probably gone now... :dry:

17 Jun 2020 12:28 - 17 Jun 2020 12:44 #29635 by Charlotte
Do you know if there's a way to adjust the light in ARK? It seems it's always blinding in the direction of the sun (like 180 degrees view towards the sun, not just staring right into it...) and sometimes the shadows are so dark I can hardly see :(

:hmm: That standing torch looks rather dangerous in a small low-ceilinged thatch hut... But it doesn't seem to do much (=any) damage...

17 Jun 2020 13:38 #29637 by Valence
Quite a lot of modern games overdo that sun glare effect. It gets particularly annoying in Witcher 3 and the worst example in Ark is when the sun is shining on your map and you can no longer see it even though it's right in front of your face.
I haven't checked but if there is a way to tone it down it'll probably be a bloom setting in the graphics options.

I'm not too troubled by dilophosaurs now, I can usually knock them out with just my fists. It's still the snakes that frighten me. At least with the other dangerous things like the Spinosaur of the Sarcosuchus you can see them in the distance and run away.

I got some standing torches from a supply drop. :)
I was gonna plant one next to my storage boxes so I can see where they are from a distance but I was unsure how long they last. Do they burn longer than camp fires?

17 Jun 2020 13:46 #29638 by Valence

tried and succeeded to kill a dilophosaur and while I was skinning it I was attacked by another one that I never saw.

Different species, but...

:lol:
Attachments: