March challenge - Classic Cover

Deadline for entry:

February Challenge - WINNER ANNOUNCED

Last book you bought - or read

19 Feb 2019 21:46 #23842 by Charlotte
The yearly book sale thingy is coming up (end of February) and I just ordered some stuff from the Swedish Sci-Fi Bookstore - a couple of graphic novel type albums about a faery called Wika, art by Olivier Ledroit - anyone familiar with these? I bought them solely based on the covers :P

Also a couple of George RR Martin's books, although I noticed too late that one was in Swedish. I always prefer reading in English, but oh well. Better than Russian or some other language I don't know :D
Anyway I got the first one of Blood and Fire, and some sort of space horror thing called Nightflyers.

I think they won't ship the books until the sale has actually started, though, so I guess I'll have to wait a while. (And meanwhile maybe I should start reading the ones I got for Xmas? :dry:)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cat.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

20 Feb 2019 01:28 #23845 by Valence
I think Nightflyers has been made into a TV show (which I've yet to watch.)
A while back I read one of those Wild Card books that George RR edits rather than writes and I thought it was... pretty bad. I just wish he'd leave everything alone and finish Winds Of Winter before I die.

But while I wait I've just finished reading The Night Manager. I loved the TV version (the only time I've liked Tom Hiddleston!) and the book was equally good, although I prefered the TV ending.
And now I am reading Embassytown by China Mieville (and I've probably spelt his name wrong. Again.)

20 Feb 2019 02:02 #23846 by Valence
Continued....

And Reddit has just told me that the Nightflyers TV show has been cancelled already. I think I jinxed it.with that last message. :lol:
But Reddit also tells me that The Storyteller is being remade by Neil Gaiman! :excited:

But enough about TV. Back to the books...

10 Mar 2019 16:14 #24088 by Charlotte
I've now read the comics about Wika, which according to some background info should be OK to read for a 10-12 year old. Well...

I suppose it's an easy read. :dry: Though somewhat incoherent. Story wise... I felt it was lacking quite a bit, or maybe I've just forgotten how little you have time to say in a comics album? Wouldn't recommend it for the read, and while the graphics are fairly impressive they're also suffering from "the need for speed" (goes for most comics I guess) and an awful lot of butt and boobs views.

On the plus side both albums had some "behind the scenes" sketches and concepts at the end of the album.

Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cat.

10 Mar 2019 18:52 - 10 Mar 2019 18:53 #24089 by Valence
I don't really read a lot of comics, I occasionally pick up random single issues in the library but it's usually to just look at the artwork rather than reading superhero stories.
And I enjoy it too when they have some sketches and variant covers at the end although it still doesn't help me understand inking and linework. :)