April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Last book you bought - or read

19 Feb 2019 21:46 #23842 by Charlotte
The yearly book sale thingy is coming up (end of February) and I just ordered some stuff from the Swedish Sci-Fi Bookstore - a couple of graphic novel type albums about a faery called Wika, art by Olivier Ledroit - anyone familiar with these? I bought them solely based on the covers :P

Also a couple of George RR Martin's books, although I noticed too late that one was in Swedish. I always prefer reading in English, but oh well. Better than Russian or some other language I don't know :D
Anyway I got the first one of Blood and Fire, and some sort of space horror thing called Nightflyers.

I think they won't ship the books until the sale has actually started, though, so I guess I'll have to wait a while. (And meanwhile maybe I should start reading the ones I got for Xmas? :dry:)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

20 Feb 2019 01:28 #23845 by Valence
I think Nightflyers has been made into a TV show (which I've yet to watch.)
A while back I read one of those Wild Card books that George RR edits rather than writes and I thought it was... pretty bad. I just wish he'd leave everything alone and finish Winds Of Winter before I die.

But while I wait I've just finished reading The Night Manager. I loved the TV version (the only time I've liked Tom Hiddleston!) and the book was equally good, although I prefered the TV ending.
And now I am reading Embassytown by China Mieville (and I've probably spelt his name wrong. Again.)

20 Feb 2019 02:02 #23846 by Valence
Continued....

And Reddit has just told me that the Nightflyers TV show has been cancelled already. I think I jinxed it.with that last message. :lol:
But Reddit also tells me that The Storyteller is being remade by Neil Gaiman! :excited:

But enough about TV. Back to the books...

10 Mar 2019 16:14 #24088 by Charlotte
I've now read the comics about Wika, which according to some background info should be OK to read for a 10-12 year old. Well...

I suppose it's an easy read. :dry: Though somewhat incoherent. Story wise... I felt it was lacking quite a bit, or maybe I've just forgotten how little you have time to say in a comics album? Wouldn't recommend it for the read, and while the graphics are fairly impressive they're also suffering from "the need for speed" (goes for most comics I guess) and an awful lot of butt and boobs views.

On the plus side both albums had some "behind the scenes" sketches and concepts at the end of the album.

Warning: Spoiler!

10 Mar 2019 18:52 - 10 Mar 2019 18:53 #24089 by Valence
I don't really read a lot of comics, I occasionally pick up random single issues in the library but it's usually to just look at the artwork rather than reading superhero stories.
And I enjoy it too when they have some sketches and variant covers at the end although it still doesn't help me understand inking and linework. :)

09 Apr 2019 14:33 #24357 by Charlotte
Not sure if I mentioned elsewhere that I changed my last book order so that I got the English (full) version of Blood and Fire instead of the Swedish (part 1 only).

Anyway I've finished Nightflyers. Not a tremendously long story but it was interesting up until all was revealed. Which was pretty close to the end, anyway. I could see it made into a movie, perhaps, or a TV mini-series. But one of those on-going forever shows would be hard, seeing as the death toll is probably way above that of GoT.

09 Apr 2019 14:44 #24358 by Valence
Is it "Blood And Fire" or "Fire And Blood?"

09 Apr 2019 15:08 - 09 Apr 2019 15:08 #24359 by Charlotte
uhm *looks*
Fire and Blood :whistle:

(edit: but not "Fire and Blood?")

24 Oct 2019 13:54 - 24 Oct 2019 13:56 #26443 by Valence
After hearing news of Amazon making a TV show based on The Wheel Of Time books I thought I'd give that a go. What could be better than another epic fantasy series that requires me to memorize over 2000 characters. :dry:
At least there isn't another one called Bran- oh, wait a minute, there is. :eyeroll:

I'm now 60 pages in and still waiting for something to happen.
I think it's gonna be a slow one. :whistle:

24 Oct 2019 14:17 #26444 by Charlotte
I thought there were only 26 characters in the English language :dumb:

I think I might have read one book from that series. Not sure, though... Can't recall much of it either...