October challenge - Alien Structure - Enter here!

Deadline for entry:

September challenge - Voting Open

Last book you bought - or read

13 Sep 2020 17:31 - 13 Sep 2020 17:32 #31042 by Valence
I am reading that first one but it sometimes feels like something from later in the series with the way that the author throws around names of people and places as if I'm supposed to already know who and what they are. I did suspect it would be like that when I saw the big character list at the start of the book.
I know it will get easier as I go along but he could be better with his introductions.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 Sep 2020 18:30 #31043 by Atto
Replied by Atto on topic Last book you bought - or read
He, he! If you’ve got the same version as me there’s a foreword where he talks about the genesis of the story. Erickson doesn’t like to have this sudden blooming of characters and situations but jumps in at a point in the history of the Malayan empire that he doesn’t fully explain till a few books in. There is no spoon feeding with him, he won’t spend a few chapters setting the scene and explaining all the ins and outs of his world. You either grab hold and enjoy the ride or you fall by the wayside as he surges on. My father couldn’t quite put up with that and gave up 3/4 of the way through the first book but if you can stumble along for the time being I promise you it’s worth the trouble. Or at least I think it is. I’m still noticing things I missed after a third read through of the entire series.

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.