April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Last book you bought - or read

01 Mar 2018 20:14 #20394 by Charlotte
Not sure if this is done all over the place but in Sweden there's a general book sale starting late february every year. So I went to a real bookstore (! as opposed to online shopping) last tuesday. The english paperbacks weren't really on sale, unfortunately, but they did have a buy 4 pay for 3 deal. They cost a bit anyway and I took some time finding 4 I wanted to try out, but here are the ones I got:

David Gibbins - Testament (Indiana Jones meets underwater archaeology)
Julian Fellowes - Belgravia (I enjoyed Downtown Abbey but I honestly have no clue if his stories make for good reading)
Dawn French - According to YES (She's usually funny, no idea what she's like as an author)
Susann Cokal - The Kingdom of Little Wounds (the only fantasy type of the four, never heard of the books/author before)

(I also noticed Ken Follett is out with a new one about Kingsbridge, only it's not in paperback yet)

And I still have a list of +10 other books to buy...

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

01 Mar 2018 21:04 #20396 by Valence
I don't think we have that here (or is it something to do with world book day?) but I'm a borrower rather than a buyer. And my current borrow is "Wolf Hall."

01 Mar 2018 22:06 #20397 by Atto
Replied by Atto on topic Last book you bought - or read
Haven't heard of any book sales like that either Charlotte - I'm afraid I spend an inordinate amount of money on books. They're one of my 4 weaknesses.
I've spent the last 3 years on and off with Stephen Erikson and his Malazan Books of the Fallen. But now i'm onto the last one in the series. 'The Crippled God'. I've loved every word (apparently around 3.5 million of them).
I've cried, I've laughed, I've fallen in love and I've sat in absolute wonder at the guys talent for wrenching emotion from every page.
If you like epic fantasy with a host of characters that puts Dune or The Lord of the Rings to shame I can't recommend him highly enough.
I was in Waterstones last week to pick up my order and there was a little review of the series by one of the staff - it had me in stitches:
"Stephen Eriksons Malazan series...... makes Game of Thrones look like scratchings on a cave wall"

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.

02 Mar 2018 08:05 #20399 by Charlotte
Certainly sounds like it'd be worth a try! :D I'll have to add him to my list....

(I just have to make sure I don't spend 4 hours a day reading instead of painting and creating things, once I'm supposed to be done with current stuff...)

06 Oct 2018 09:02 #22427 by Charlotte

Not sure hotlinking this image works, but apparently there's a book with John Howe's sketches from Middle Earth coming out this november. I think it just might end up on my wishlist for xmas :)

Swedish shop page in case image won't work:
www.sfbok.se/produkt/a-middle-earth-trav...end-to-mordor-167621

06 Oct 2018 11:56 #22429 by Valence
Not art related, but I'm currently reading The Miniaturist.
It was made into a TV mini-series which was on last Christmas and I wanted to see if the book was better. And so far it is.

06 Oct 2018 12:31 #22430 by Charlotte
A co-worker recommended the TV series. Maybe I should get the book instead? :P

06 Oct 2018 13:45 #22433 by Valence
It's certainly worth watching. The only issue I had was that the pacing felt a little awkward. The three episode format (which the BBC often does for Christmas shows) was a little too long for a movie story and not enough for a full TV series. I kinda wanted more ... or less. :P

06 Oct 2018 15:30 #22434 by Charlotte
Pfft, you're just never satisfied :p

06 Oct 2018 20:46 #22436 by Valence
Never.

NEVER!!! :shakefist: