April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Last book you bought - or read

28 Feb 2015 13:25 - 28 Feb 2015 13:26 #9180 by Charlotte
Not sure what it's like elsewhere but in Sweden this time of year there's always a book sale. Even stores that don't usually sell many books participate in the book sale (for unknown reasons).

Anyway I went to the local store and bought some books. One's a book about human evolution and one's a medieval type Bestiary (it's cute - it describes how pearls are formed by rocks that gather moonlight - it's written by a present day Swedish historian, though) and two fictions in English for about $1.5 each. One's a detective story with Maura Isles (I do watch Rizzoli & Isles when it's on TV but I haven't read the books) and the other seems to be some kind of horror/ghost story.

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

28 Feb 2015 13:39 - 28 Feb 2015 14:47 #9182 by Domtopia
The last book (or books in this case) I bought was Nausicaa Of The Valley Of The Winds. It is a classic by Hayao Miyazaki. I love the main character!

Like Charlotte, I do like a bit of fiction!

Plus, the art work in the books in awesome! Amazing what can be achieved using the natural world and a bit of creative licence!

Oh.. and the last book I read was a Jack Reacher book called Never Go Back. It was OK. The author loves to revel in the details, so it can be a little pedantic sometimes, but it's a fairly interesting mystery/thriller.

Everything's on the right!!!

It's like driving abroad!

28 Feb 2015 17:58 #9194 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Last book you bought - or read

The last book (or books in this case) I bought was Nausicaa Of The Valley Of The Winds. It is a classic by Hayao Miyazaki. I love the main character!

I was given Miyazaki's The Art of Nausicaa of the Valley of the Winds for Christmas.

28 Feb 2015 18:02 #9196 by Domtopia
How very cool is that!!

I bet that is beautiful!! I love his sketches and art work. I even had the privilege of going to the Ghibli museum in Mitaka, Tokyo a couple of year ago. It was like being in a Miyazaki animation. They even showed unique not-to-be-released short animations in an amazing little cinema built just for the museum.

I was impressed by the inking book you have too Banj. Where could I get my hands on one of those?

28 Feb 2015 18:25 #9201 by Banj
The DC inking guide was also a gift the previous year (may have been birthday that time, I forget). I believe it was bought from a comic shop in Brighton, but you can probably find it on Amazon. It's not so much a practical inking guide, more Jansons thoughts about inking in general.

28 Feb 2015 18:30 #9202 by Domtopia

It's not so much a practical inking guide, more Jansons thoughts about inking in general.

... oh.

That's disappointing. I find it very hard indeed to ink. I just don't know what I'm doing! A guide on the subject would have been very helpful.

28 Feb 2015 18:37 #9203 by Banj
He does talk about things like line weight and lighting and what you should be doing in terms of interpreting the pencils, and there are plenty of comparative images of different inkers handling the same things.I would say it is worth a read, but it won't tell you how to ink a straight line with a brush if that's what you are looking for.

28 Feb 2015 18:50 #9204 by Domtopia
I think I am after something to teach the principles of inking, not necessarily a step-by-step or owt. It doesn't seem to work the same as three dimensional rendering and so is something outside my normal practice.

I either over-ink, or it ends up looking fragmentary and scratchy.

01 Mar 2015 16:30 #9229 by microscopi
Well thanks for providing me with some ideas for reading material :woohoo: This is the last book I read, took me 18 months to get through the whole story, biggest fantasy epic ever, it's like Lord of the Rings, dipped in acid, smothered in gasoline and lit on fire.

Attachments:

01 Mar 2015 16:39 #9231 by Charlotte
How many books are there in the wheel of time? I think one reason I've never read it it's because there's so many.... But I might be wrong. And I did read one book (that I can't find now and can't recall the name of) that might have been Robert Jordan. Not sure :unsure:

Anyway the art on the cover is really nice, I think :)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.