March challenge - Enter here!

Deadline for entry:

February challenge WINNER ANNOUNCED!

Last book you bought - or read

10 Nov 2014 18:41 - 10 Nov 2014 18:58 #7054 by Charlotte
Thought I'd bring this old IFX thread to life again - but include the reading bit since if you want to recommend a great book it really helps to read it first :)

I bought two books today. It's my father's birthday on Sunday so I was getting one for him and ended up getting one for me too.... :P (as always)

Daddy's was a comic album by Swedish cartoonist/artist couple Berglin - they don't seem to have a website unfortunately ( :ohmy: )

And mine was actually another Swedish one (that's rare!) about faeries and brownies and other sorts of supernatural beings from the Nordic countries. Written and illustrated by Johan Egerkrans who actually does have a website (I love his images!): www.egerkrans.com/egerkrans.com/Welcome.html
(EDIT 2: some of the images from the book in question can be found under "Vaesen" which is some sort of anglification of Väsen (which is in the book's title, and probably the same word as Wesen in Grimm - the TV series. Uhm and in German, I would think...))

(EDIT 1: I also recently read an old Ed McBain story that I probably bought back in the 80ies...)

EDIT 3 (yes I'll stop after this one! I think) - It's cloth bound! (I thought that was sooo corny when I was little and only old books were cloth bound but now it's so rare it's a treat! :P

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 Nov 2014 10:32 - 11 Nov 2014 10:32 #7060 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Last book you bought - or read
Last book I bought I think was The Art of Oban Star Racers

Last books I read (which were gifts given to me) were Klaus Janson's DC Comics Guide to Inking Comics...

and Stan Lee's How to Draw Comics.

Attachments:

12 Nov 2014 20:45 #7089 by crankshaft
Scott Robertson How to Draw. I also getting his How to Render book. Excited!

12 Nov 2014 21:46 #7092 by kazky
Erm I've just bought & in the middle of reading ,"Look who it is, my story" Alan Carr & just bought "Doctor Sleep" Stephen King, which I haven't started yet.

13 Nov 2014 08:45 - 13 Nov 2014 08:45 #7093 by Charlotte
I didn't know who Alan Carr is/was so I looked him up. Seems the book might be funny? :)

I suspect the next book I will read (because I will bring it with me on my next time on a train) will be an autobiograhy as well, though probably less amusing. I won Richard Dawkins "An Appetite for Wonder", so... I liked another book by him and I think he's generally more fun to read than to listen to, but I've only leafed through a few of the first pages (and old photos) so far.

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

13 Nov 2014 09:02 #7095 by kazky
Charlotte I love him, it took me a long time to actually watch him as I hate 'innuendo' comedians and I'd assumed that's what he was, but he's actually really funny.

He also is from Northampton so a lot of the things he talks about I know, so it's quite interesting.

I do like autobiography's but sometimes they are hard work, I've got Richard Branson's and not got past the first two pages so far! I suspect the Richard Dawkins book would be extremely interesting, but hard to read.

13 Nov 2014 09:37 - 13 Nov 2014 09:39 #7096 by CherryGraphics
Awww thats a nice discussion *_*

I just finished reading Neil Gaiman's "The ocean at the end of the lane" <3 it's one the most beautiful, imaginatively books I've ever read. I'm so in love with Lettie Hempstock :lol: :silly: I've got this book 3 times. in german. in english. and signed. :woohoo: :silly: :whistle:

I'm at work - yes my desk is a mess. :D

I paint a picture for this book at the moment. Lettie Hempstock has a little ocean at the back of her house and she has to rescue her friend from hungerbirds and ... no. maybe you want to read it yourself i can't even tell you more about the story. ^^

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance
Attachments:

13 Nov 2014 09:40 #7097 by kazky
What a lovely idea!

13 Nov 2014 10:52 #7099 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Last book you bought - or read

just bought "Doctor Sleep" Stephen King, which I haven't started yet.

I could probably have mentioned that one myself. I was given it last Christmas (along with several other books) and still haven't got around to reading it yet.

13 Nov 2014 13:53 #7101 by Domtopia
I likes me classics!

So, I last read Day of the Triffids. A great story!

Plus, I like to imagine how things progress after the book has ended. Oh, the possibilities!

The book I read before that was the awesome World War Z. I really enjoyed that one, even though it is written in a manor similar to that of a pop video!

Everything's on the right!!!

It's like driving abroad!