April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Last book you bought - or read

01 Mar 2015 16:48 #9233 by Domtopia
Male pin-up!!

How can a book take 18 months to read!!?? It must be pretty thick!

Everything's on the right!!!

It's like driving abroad!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

01 Mar 2015 16:54 - 01 Mar 2015 16:55 #9235 by microscopi
I had the same feeling before I got into the story Charlotte, it's too bad it's so long, it discouraging for new readers.

The story itself is a save the world type journey focusing on one main character that's a reluctant hero, and many other characters support him, there's over 2500 characters to keep track of, but it has elements of all genres of fantasy inside, it's hard to do it justice, it really is something tho, love the artwork on the last cover.

There's 15 books total, including one that pre-dates the story. The main author Robert Jordan died before he could finish the story, so his editor and wife, Harriet, chose Brandon Sanderson to finish it. He did a great job, and used the actual ending Robert Jordan wrote before he died, including a lot of notes, although there's a huge open question at the end of the final book that will never be answered, as he took it to his grave. If you have a lot of time to read you won't be disappointed.

lol Dom the whole series took me that long, 14 books each with 1000 pages!

01 Mar 2015 17:41 #9236 by Domtopia

lol Dom the whole series took me that long, 14 books each with 1000 pages!

Woah.... that's a lot of reading!

I might be scared of having my brain leak through my ears after that lot!...:dead:

Everything's on the right!!!

It's like driving abroad!

06 Mar 2015 06:45 #9389 by CherryGraphics
At last I finished "Felidae" by Akif Pirinçci. It's a book about death and pain and animal experiments and the wish for an old-new race of cats. Boy George sang a song about it. ^^ Maybe it's not the best book with all it's linguistic exaggerations but I liked it.

So. Next will be the 6th volume of the series the dark tower by Steven King. Thanks to Micro to remember me to finish this the third time. :D

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance
Attachments:

07 Mar 2015 17:29 #9414 by microscopi
You're a brave girl Cherry :P

08 Mar 2015 23:14 #9457 by hobbyhorse
I also have read the' wheel of time' series...loved it and even reread the first several books several times when I knew the next one was due out, so I would remember the characters and plots.
But then i prefer long books since I read them so fast. A normal sized paperback will only take me a couple of days to read. And having a long series is even better. I hate waiting for the next one.
If you like a little lite reading of the fantasy-murder-mystery type, I like the 'Joe Grey' series. About a talking cat and a few other like-minded felines as they solve murder mysteries with 'clever paws' and the humans that know and the ones they keep the secret from. So far there are 18 books written by Shirley Rousseau Murphy. If you like cats I think you might like this take, where the cat isn't just in the room but is an active participant in solving the mystery.

Last book read was by Raymond E Feist, Krondor the Assassins. Again this is a series and I have one more in this trilogy to find and read, but have read the previous 10 other books of his 'Rift War and Serpent War' series.
Another author I enjoy and hope she comes up with a new book soon is anything by Lois McMaster Bujold. Her narrative is easy to read and characters are witty and human. Some of her books would be listed as SyFi others fantasy.

Have read a Steven King and though he is very readable his subjects creep me out. I like some thing that won't keep me up at night :blink:

09 Mar 2015 08:24 #9463 by Charlotte
McMaster Bujold is one of my favourites too! I keep looking for new stuff from her but I think I've read almost everything :P
Speaking of favourites I also really like CS Friedman.

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

10 Mar 2015 00:52 #9476 by hobbyhorse
Charlotte- What book titles should I look for by CS Friedman? And are some better than others?Always looking for good reads.
Have you read Bujold's first book Spirit Ring? It's been out of print for several years but if you haven't read it yet that might be one to look for.

10 Mar 2015 17:28 #9496 by Charlotte
Well, I've read two trilogies and two standalone books by Friedman.

The Coldfire trilogy has a touch of Sci-fi in that people from earth have crashlanded and colonized a planet where "the fae" is a force of nature, bringing your imagination to life (bad and good, though the issue of the series is that it's increasingly bad).

The Magister trilogy is about a woman who discovers why "only men" become magisters. Both men and women can be born witches, but using their magic also uses up their life force. Magisters however don't use up their lives and are instead immortal. This woman gets involved in events that also makes the magisters understand what sets them apart from other humans. I really enjoyed this series.

In Conquest Born is sci-fi, where humans have populated space and diversified into new distinct cultures with different ideals and different agendas. From what I remember there was a lot of warmongering :P

This Alien Shore is another sci-fi story set in space. A bit of brainware, hackers... Coorporations all wanting to control intergalactic trade, that sort of thing :) Of the two standalones I think I preferred this one.

Checking her website (www.csfriedman.com/) In Conquest born has a sequel "200 years later". (Oh and she's also working on a new trilogy! Yay!)

Regarding Bujold, yes I did read the Spirit Ring. :) I think she's published some short story collections or such that I haven't read but other than that I've probably read everything. I always have to compare any lists with my bookcase 'cause I can't keep track in my head. Not of the Vorkosigan series anyway :P

10 Mar 2015 20:06 #9507 by Charlotte
Speaking of neither of the above authors, I just couldn't resist emailing Tess Gerritsen about the Rizzoli & Isles book I just read (the one in my image earlier). There are two characters in the book that I suspect where the same person but it was never revealed to be the case... It just nagged me and I googled it but found nothing so in the end I emailed her (her website said you could email just to say hello, so I figured it might not be entirely unwelcome) and asked. I just hope I didn't come off as a complete nutcase :P

Comparing the book to the TV series was fun too, by the way. Quite a lot of differences, yet enough similarities to not be a completely different thing.

...and my eyes are itching. Must be the time of year for antihistamins... :pinch: