April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Last book you bought - or read

24 Oct 2019 14:24 #26447 by Valence
Phew, something happened on page 67. :P

If "the thing that changes everything" doesn't occur by page 60 I get a bit impatient. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Oct 2019 14:33 - 24 Oct 2019 16:28 #26448 by Charlotte
sometimes it seems to happen about half way through, but I guess it's more than 120 pages?

Edit 2 hours later: apparently you are now completely engrossed... :dry:

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

31 Oct 2019 11:03 #26572 by Mindbender
Latest finished one was ”Inferno” by Dan Brown. Think I gave it 4/5 on Goodreads

Like his mystery/pageturner style with lots of art references. Otherwise much into fantasy, reading ”ASOIAF” now that the series is over - at a very slow pace

Reading ”The Emigrants part 1” by Vilhelm Moberg at a more steady pace ? Great novel about ordinary people’s hardships emigrating from Sweden to the US in the 1850’s. Much recommended if into historical fiction

31 Oct 2019 11:39 #26576 by Charlotte
I actually never read that (Utvandrarna/The emigrants) - Swedish literature class forever killed my interest in Swedish books :P

The following user(s) said Thank You: Mindbender

31 Oct 2019 14:26 - 31 Oct 2019 14:30 #26579 by Valence

Edit 2 hours later: apparently you are now completely engrossed... :dry:

Oops, didn't see that edit.
Sadly I'm not engrossed as it's very formulaic.
Currently not-Frodo, along with his friends not-Merry, not-Pippin and not-Sam, have left the not-Shire and with the help of not-Aragorn (who is also not-Gandalf and not-Galadriel in a gender-switch character mash-up) they have all escaped from the pursuing not-Dark Riders. I can confidently predict that within the next 10 pages they will arrive at not-Rivendell and speak with not-Elrond who will tell them more about not-Sauron and his eternal battle with .... that other guy. I don't know too much about that "other guy" yet but maybe he'll be not-Saruman. :confident:

I would have put all that in the spoiler tag but it's not a spoiler, we've all read that story a thousand times before. I think there are about 13 books in the Wheel Of Time series so I hope the author came up with an original idea somewhere along the line. Or maybe he'll just change the names. :dry:

31 Oct 2019 14:29 #26580 by Charlotte
oh dear :D Let's hope the author (if he's still alive) doesn't see your review. Or maybe it would be good for him...

31 Oct 2019 14:31 #26581 by Valence
He died before finishing the series. Someone else had to take over. :dry:

31 Oct 2019 14:44 #26582 by Charlotte
Maybe they did a better job? I was introduced to "Fafrd and the Grey Mouser" when reading uhm.... whatshisname and then I read a couple of the books by the original author, after which I decided I didn't like them all that much (felt a bit too close to pedophilia sometimes). The original book I read was called "Nightwatch" and while i can't recall much of it anymore, I remember I liked it. (which is why I then got the grey mouser book, obviously...)

31 Oct 2019 15:35 #26583 by Valence
I've never heard of that one.
I just went to investigate further but it's apparently that time of year when Wikipedia wants me to donate via the medium of intrusive pop-ups so I'll look it up later. :eyeroll:

Meanwhile.., not-Elrond hasn't appeared yet so maybe I was getting ahead of myself. :oops:

31 Oct 2019 15:51 #26584 by Charlotte
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Literatur...fhrdAndTheGrayMouser

Hey they even mention that book I mentioned :P
"There is also the authorized novel sequel Swords Against the Shadowland by Robin Wayne Bailey."

(they call it a bit of BDSM and sadism, rather than pedophilia, though. But Mousers girlfriends tend to the young looking side, at least)