April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Charlotte's Works

15 Jun 2015 18:32 #11230 by Domtopia
Replied by Domtopia on topic Charlotte's Works
These are awesome!!

Wow!! Really great character and variety!

Everything's on the right!!!

It's like driving abroad!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 Jun 2015 21:15 #11244 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Charlotte's Works
Thanks Dom, though I can't take credit for the character - the base creature is (c) Aywas. I only did small changes here and there (or in the moon crater case only did the coloration).

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

16 Jun 2015 13:55 #11282 by Domtopia
Replied by Domtopia on topic Charlotte's Works
Then it is a good collaboration!

Either way, it looks really smart. Great stuff!!

Everything's on the right!!!

It's like driving abroad!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Charlotte

28 Jun 2015 21:40 #11554 by Charlotte
Still doing little Aywas things. Been painting backgrounds (for the avatars) the past couple of days. They're really small when finished - 150x200 pixels, so I figured I'd post one full size here (which is also small: 450x600)

This was supposed to be a sunken temple ruin to the right of the character but then I decided to paint it in the center and move it rather than trying to paint half a temple, and when I moved it, it changed... kind of... So it's no ruin anymore... (The dark smudge in the foreground is the avatar's shadow.)

Attachments:

29 Jun 2015 18:12 #11561 by Digital Dave
Replied by Digital Dave on topic Charlotte's Works
Looks good. Nice touch on the worn areas of the steps too. :)

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

29 Jun 2015 19:12 #11563 by Charlotte
The steps aren't really meant to look worn, it's more an extra light - at the small finished size any details disappear so some stuff has to be a bit "overdone" :P But thanks :)

30 Jun 2015 00:36 #11565 by Digital Dave
Replied by Digital Dave on topic Charlotte's Works
:S Um, sorry. But I do see why you would do this if you are loosing detail due to size.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

10 Jul 2015 00:06 #11715 by Charlotte
Today - or rather yesterday since it's now 2 am oops - I finished one of the first clothing sets I started when I joined Aywas. It's taken some time (mostly because I've done other things instead) but today I got the last bits of the "base" done and then made three colorations (actually I first made two colours and then decided to swap the main and accent color combos, so black + blue + silver became black + copper and burgundy + cream became burgundy + copper and then burgundy + blue...)

Also managed to do 2 different hair styles with 4 different colours each... I'm having a bit of "aaaaaah it's the last days of my vacation I have to get something useless done!" panic, I think... (yes, useless - useful stuff is for when you're not on vacation...)

Attachments:

10 Jul 2015 23:42 #11727 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Charlotte's Works
The separate colour combinations work very well together and also the shading still describes the form accurately despite the different value ranges of each option. That's something I always mess up with when trying different colour choices.

11 Jul 2015 14:13 #11729 by Charlotte
Thanks Val :) Though the shading on my aywas stuff is simple... I have a base color layer (plus sometimes a pattern layer or some such) and then I have a layer set to tint, using the same colour as the base. And then I have a layer set to overlay, using white (usually anyway). It's not exactly according to color theory or anything but it works for simple things that should look somewhat celshaded...

I'm currently coloring someone elses file and she has more than one hundred layers. At least two tint layers and two highlight/dodge layers for each item (and each item being things like trousers, shirt, cape, arms, sword, face, hair, extras.... a looot of layers). I prefer to keep things simple myself. Anyway I've realised that with her setup it's best to use the same colour for base, tint and light layers, even though it seems odd to use say a dark grey for light. But if I don't I feel it just becomes way too bright and the base color disappears under all the layer modes... It's still interesting working with someone elses files, just so you can see how differently you do things :P