April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Charlotte's Works

03 Mar 2015 19:00 #9318 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Charlotte's Works
That's so true Dom - I think hands in particular can look really really wierd in some poses and from some angles and it might be more efficient to use a "cliché pose" that people will recognise, than one that would be the most accurate in that particular scene.

Regarding the fabrics I tried to mash several different kinds in there. The green sleeves didn't quite come out like I originally intended but I liked the result anyway. Maybe it's a westeros fabric that doesn't exist in the real world ;) Anyway, dark green is supposed to be velvet (but velvet often goes way darker in the darks - I just wanted it to stay green and not look almost black. The pale embroidered cloth is based on satin. The pale green of the skirt (and "boob cover") is based off of chiffon (no strong highlights or shadows) and the pale green as well as the pink of the sleeves were meant to be silk but I couldn't get it right so basically went with satin for that as well, though it ended up looking like a somewhat heavier cloth than that, I think. :) But like you said the exact types of fabrics aren't really relevant. The idea for me was that one of the richest women in Westeros would want to show off her wealth by cramming as many expensive fabrics into her dresses as possible :P

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

04 Mar 2015 06:47 #9328 by CherryGraphics
Replied by CherryGraphics on topic Charlotte's Works
Charlotte I really like your Cersei even I never liked the character herself in the books (but I haven't read them all at the time) :) The clothes looks fantastic - I really like the flowing folds.
And her hairstyle :) But... Cersei and her brother and the whole bloody family has shiny golden hair, hasn't they? ^^

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance

04 Mar 2015 10:22 #9331 by Charlotte
Yup her hair is rather dark for now. Figured once I render it, it will get brighter. I started a bit yesterday but I'm not sure I found the right way yet - or the right blonde shade.

And no, Cersei is not a very likeable character :P

04 Mar 2015 15:33 #9338 by Domtopia
Replied by Domtopia on topic Charlotte's Works
You could isolate the hair and alter the colour using the hue/saturation sliders to give you an approximate hue. Then picking just three variants of the colour, one highlight, one mid and one shadow you could work in the detail.

That would be the easiest way. Better for tightly bunched hair too.

Everything's on the right!!!

It's like driving abroad!

04 Mar 2015 20:19 #9347 by Charlotte
Isolating it won't be a problem - it's already on its' own layer(s). :P I've been using the same gold colours I used for the jewellery (but more of the lighter ones). I think I will need to brighten it further, though. Art Rage only has one colour adjustment tool, though, that I'm aware, and it's not always very useful... I might be better off just repainting once I've decided on the shades :)

In other news I've been to the cinema to see Seventh Son. Very cliché fantasy story but still entertaining. Though it'd have been twice as good with any other actor in Jeff Bridge's role. He wasn't acting, he was making a caricature.

04 Mar 2015 22:11 #9356 by Domtopia
Solid hair shapes like that are tricky I think. Much easier to make it messy!

Are there special tools on art rage that allow you to scratch the surface? There's a pallet knife tool isn't there? Will that lend itself to providing some texture to the hair with out changing the hue?

You could use that after adding a new layer filled with a highlight. Change the blend mode (if you can) to screen and then scratch away at it with the pallet knife. You wouldn't need to change the hair as it is, just have a highlight above it.

Dunno if something like that could work?

05 Mar 2015 20:47 #9383 by Digital Dave
Replied by Digital Dave on topic Charlotte's Works

In other news I've been to the cinema to see Seventh Son. Very cliché fantasy story but still entertaining. Though it'd have been twice as good with any other actor in Jeff Bridge's role. He wasn't acting, he was making a caricature.

I'm planning on checking out the Seventh Son movie myself, and also not a big Jeff Bridges fan, so I can easily see that. :)

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

07 Mar 2015 11:19 #9406 by Charlotte
Been painting hair. By hair... As usual - but in spite of a bit too srong texture and a somewhat darker shade than I initially intended I think I'm happy with it. (Paler blond just didn't go well with her complexion :P)

Dom - yes there's a palette knife. That and some of the other tools, like the oil brush, leaves textures that can't be overpainted - so you might get edges and stuff where you don't want them and the only way to reduce the texture is to erase the layer... So basically I avoid using those tools. The ArtRage oil brush is quite lovely but it also leaves that very tell tale ArtRage Oil Brush texture that tells you from a mile away it's an ArtRage painting... :dry:

Dave - do let me know what you thought of Bridge's "funny old man routine" ;)

Here's a wip with hair (but not cast shadows) done and at approximate print size rather than my usual 10 % size...

Attachments:

07 Mar 2015 12:08 #9407 by Domtopia
The hair looks great Charlotte! Really nice work!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Charlotte

07 Mar 2015 12:44 #9408 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Charlotte's Works
I always like that ArtRage texture "look" of thick paint but there are a couple of ways to control it. First just press F5 to turn off the canvas lighting. Or if you want to be more selective use bump blend modes on a new layer: with these you can set it to Replace to just use the texture of the uppermost layer instead of mixing them.

Oh and the hair looks great!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Charlotte