April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Charlotte's Works

19 Apr 2015 07:10 #10227 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Charlotte's Works
Oh Hobby good idea! If I make one of those WoW sized swords I can place it diagonally across the whole picture! :woohoo:

Thanks for the feedback guys. Crank, I'm not sure lines will be visible if I paint it, so I haven't bothered with line width (you might be able to tell I drew the face one day and the helmet another, with a darker pencil and heavier hand... so the two parts/layers don't really "match" anyway). Kaz and Evil, The front piece of viking helmets was actually dead straight and I expect it would press down on the nose some (so I did that), but on the other hand the helmet would probably be a bit padded on the inside so that the front piece "originates" further away from the forehead, thereby not squishing the nose absolutely flat. I'll see if I can do something about that (and that said, I did take liberal artistic liberties with that helmet anyway, so... I suppose I could do whatever I want with the nose. Theoretically.)

I noticed nobody said "Oi" :silly:

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

19 Apr 2015 08:38 #10229 by Charlotte
Moved the helmet forward to give the nose more room and extended it at the back to compensate... Also added a bit more shading and detail, though I'm not sure what good the shading will do if I paint later (never been good at colouring greyscale anyway plus the shading is rather too smudgy anyhow).

(and this time I didn't mysteriously get a white line added at the top of the image!)

Attachments:

19 Apr 2015 13:57 #10230 by jessie
Replied by jessie on topic Charlotte's Works
Oi!!!! I love it Charlotte. Great job!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Charlotte

19 Apr 2015 14:37 #10232 by crankshaft
Replied by crankshaft on topic Charlotte's Works
Ah my bad regarding the line weight then. Update looks awesome!

19 Apr 2015 20:15 #10235 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Charlotte's Works
I said "Oi" too. OK I admit I didn't type it because I wasn't logged in but I did say it.

Whether it's artistic license or not the nose piece does look better now. And I like the perspective of the whole picture, it makes it really imposing and a bit scary. :ohmy:

20 Apr 2015 07:20 #10241 by Charlotte

...a bit scary. :ohmy:

Muwhaha haha ha *cough* hhhh *cough cough*

21 Apr 2015 20:03 #10261 by edtuckerartist
Replied by edtuckerartist on topic Charlotte's Works
Very clean lines you have - wish mine were half as good.

21 Apr 2015 20:51 #10271 by hobbyhorse
Replied by hobbyhorse on topic Charlotte's Works
Oh LOL Wish I thought of that. Could put a cat right in front of my face....that's where they like to be anyway :P

22 Apr 2015 07:40 #10279 by Charlotte

Very clean lines you have - wish mine were half as good.

Well Ed, my lines are made from loads of scribbles usually on one layer, than a new layer with better lines, then erasing all the bits that weren't rigt and then adding in more lines where I erased too much. Rinse and repeat. :P

23 May 2015 08:50 #10760 by Charlotte
I know I haven't been around as much or posting as much lately as I usually do. I just thought I'd let the rest of you catch up Ever since I had a cold back in early April I have been tired and in need of a bit of a break I suppose. But I figured it's time I post a small update. Not to my self portrait because I haven't been working on that.

A few weeks ago a friend recommended a "pet game site" (Aywas) that I joined, largely because it's been so long since we've done anything together. Well, she's hardly been there and I've been obsessing to the point where I can't get any sleep because I have too many ideas. Which is kind of silly because it's really just uhm... well, there's not much to do except colour the line art of pets that already exist or try to paint clothes for the avatars. I've mostly been obsessing with the latter but I can't upload the clothes without "GP" which I don't have but kind of hope to win in the pet colouring contests :P

So here's some of the stuff I've been working on:

This pet is called a "Kernal" and is apparently plant based or something. The green one in the lower left is the "base" you download to colour (and in some cases change a bit)

And here are some clothing stuff... The jewellery set at the upper left and the drag queen at the right are finished (except the drag queen items all need "shop icons" done...) The dotty old mage as I call it, in the middle, is meant for a "basing contest" so if it won (which I very much doubt it would) other people would get to colour it. And I've still to finish the background. Obviously. The lower left couple is one of my first attempts and while I intend to colour it myself I started out in greyscale.

All clothing items have to be made for both male and female by the way. This community is VERY sort of genderqueer aware something. I do feel like the odd one out a lot of the time for not needing various labels depending on gender and sexuality... :blush: Turns out my friend joined the site because it WAS like this. I might have preferred something more "relaxed" :P

I think one of the reasons I've been obsessing over this is that it's much simpler than painting "real" pictures that take me months to finish. Even though each clothing item first has at least 4 layers done and then an icon with again as many layers and a full set (about 6 items some of which need to come in both male and female versions) makes for an awful lot of layers to keep track of, the images are fairly small (I paint at about 3* the finished size so 450*600 pixels for the avatars) and it can be done relatively fast. At least I get to see some results every day...

Attachments: