April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Charlotte's Works

16 Mar 2015 21:54 #9621 by Digital Dave
Replied by Digital Dave on topic Charlotte's Works
Look nice, Charlotte. I like the hair and head-piece. But have to agree with Micro, on the flatness of her bosom. The lack of shadow makes it look flat as mentioned, and doesn't add any dimensions to give it the 3D look as the rest does.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D
The following user(s) said Thank You: Charlotte

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

19 Mar 2015 13:16 #9688 by Domtopia
Replied by Domtopia on topic Charlotte's Works
I think it's awesome and very strong!

You can see the work that's gone in the face and it speaks volumes! Really good stuff from you Charlotte!

Although the comments of both Dave and Mic are true imo, I don't think it detracts at all from the strength of the image as a whole. It's more of a minor tweak.

Very impressed by this one!

Everything's on the right!!!

It's like driving abroad!

19 Mar 2015 18:49 #9711 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Charlotte's Works
Thanks for the input everyone. Tried to fix the last issues and now it's posted in the gallery and in my finished thread.

Here's a smaller finished version (I think the other is too big* for the forum/gallery but neither gallery upload or HAL complained, so... :whistle: )

*I saved my finished version at "print size" for web (i.e. 25 % of the size when changed from 300 to 72 ppi) but I suspect HAL shrunk it further. Or Banj. So the size difference might not be all that overwhelming (the one on this page is 10 % of original pixel size)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.
Attachments:

19 Mar 2015 19:49 #9712 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Charlotte's Works
I pay no attention to ppi whatsoever. When I create a new document it's 72, when I resize it it stays 72 and when I save it it's still 72. It only matters if you're printing out, and as I don't do prints I just focus on pixel resolution.

But whatever the size your picture has turned out nicely. Well Done!

20 Mar 2015 15:42 #9728 by Charlotte
Thanks Valence. I usually don't print either and with ArtRage the ppi matters very little, but I prefer to keep it in mind since I always save a "for print" version as jpg as well, once I'm finished. Just in case. :cheer:

18 Apr 2015 17:57 #10215 by Charlotte
When in doubt, paint a valkyrie...

I haven't been painting much since Cersei, mostly because of being ill (just a cold but darn won't that cough ever go away? plus I got some sore neck muscles which in turn triggered my migraine...). Anyway, the current self-portrait challenge has been on my mind... While pondering what I could possibly paint myself as, I've taken a whole slew of selfies (I HATE seeing photos of myself, but I guess they do work somewhat like therapy. Only I will not be posting mine all over facebook.)

My ideas have been all over the place. One of my selfies looked like a gaggling witch bending over her cauldron so I thought "Wicked Witch of the West" (Kazky can be Glinda). But then I remembered my last fantasy self portrait which was green skinned too. So I considered red skin (oooh a sith!) and then my mind went into Yoda mode and thought my name could be "Yoda Too Kan I Do" but then I thought it sounded slightly like an innuendo and scrapped that too. I've been fretting about not really wanting to be any specific kind of fantasy creature until I remembered dragons. Yay, dragons! But I can't really figure how to draw me as a dragon. So I just started scribbling on top of one of my photos (yes, tracing) and figured the doodling might bring up some ideas. I considered mermaid (mermaids really ought to be fatty anyhow, just look at seals and whales) and then went back to the dragon idea and tried adding horns and... ended up with a viking helmet somehow...

And it's kind of funny because one of my old time internet aliases was Fire-Valkyrie so I have been painting valkyries before. Dunno why I didn't think of it earlier :silly: So, I started drawing a valkyrie. Not sure I'll get much further, at least not before end of month, but what the hey. Everyone who's bothered to read this far say "Oi!"

I did remove my glasses when tracing my face - only to end up with another sort of frames :P Also I was hiding my chin in the selfie but that didn't do me much good (except possibly that it's probably painted smaller than it should be - and that's the second one I'm talking about, not the regular one :blush: )

Attachments:

18 Apr 2015 19:22 #10216 by kazky
Replied by kazky on topic Charlotte's Works
Wow! I love this Charlotte, it's looking brilliant, one thing that i notice but migh be right anyway is the eye mask, should it be shaped for the bridge of the nose?

18 Apr 2015 20:30 #10217 by crankshaft
Replied by crankshaft on topic Charlotte's Works
Looking great Charlotte! I think the chain mail could use heavier line weights closer to the viewer but it looks great already!

18 Apr 2015 22:23 #10221 by evilrobot
Replied by evilrobot on topic Charlotte's Works
Beautiful work as always. The new one looks good. I agree with Kazky about the face piece wrapping around the nose a bit.

19 Apr 2015 01:48 #10225 by hobbyhorse
Replied by hobbyhorse on topic Charlotte's Works
Charlotte- Everyone seems to be getting that spring cold, nothing really serious but the symptoms seem to hang around forever. Hope you feel better soon.

I love the valkyrie theme and hope you can join in....if the cough lets up a bit. Oh, and you can hide unwanted features behind a mug of mead, or maybe a weapon in the forground ;)