April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Gaming

25 Nov 2020 23:38 #32439 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Gaming

my hand and arm hurt from trying to keep the darn mouse still to avoid rolling.

Yes. YES. YES!!!

Some YouTube videos say the best option is to go into the control settings, set the Mouse X Axis to Yaw and switch off the Relative option.
I haven't tried yet but will later. :stare:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

25 Nov 2020 23:49 #32440 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Gaming
Yeah, I did that and set A and D (previous Yaw keys) to roll... But now the darn thing turns like a slug on weed. I'm at target practice and can't even see where the dang drone IS. Whenever I get it in my sights it flies by in seconds and then it takes me another 10 minutes to try to turn towards it again. And I keep going too far from the training area and being brought back, but then I crash into the training area ship instead. :eyeroll:

I'll have to see if I can set the mouse yaw to be more sensitive. But maybe not right now. I think it's bedtime.

I think I need to reset the screen resolution as well, as it keeps changing the browser window size. :shakefist:

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

26 Nov 2020 00:03 #32441 by Valence
You still need to have a bit of roll in there somewhere cos the fastest way to turn is to roll 90 degrees and then pull "up".

The big question is... Why isn't Banj spinning like a maniac? :dunno:
We need to know, Banj. Save us! :lol:

26 Nov 2020 00:34 #32442 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Gaming

The big question is... Why isn't Banj spinning like a maniac? :dunno:

Skill? =D

I don't know. I have everything at default settings as far as I know. I'm already on my second ship, which I've just upgraded, wasted loads of time trying to mine before giving up with that for now. I am currently a long way from where I started and just looked at some very nice and very expensive space ships. Need more moneys :cry:

26 Nov 2020 03:19 #32443 by Valence
OK, I'm spinning less now.
I changed the settings but didn't really like the yawing-only thing so I went back to the defaults and tried out more training things to get used to it. I think you just have to be delicate with the mouse and I was getting a bit confused at the start by thinking that the little directional mouse arrow was telling me to move further that way.

Still haven't started a proper mission though and I can't work out how to put the game in Solo mode. I'm stuck in Open mode and I really don't want to encounter other players with my current shoddy skills. :dry:

26 Nov 2020 09:27 #32448 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Gaming
:blink:
I thought you started out in solo mode unless you set it not to be? But that might explain all the "1 contact found"
and "1 contact lost" messages?

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

26 Nov 2020 12:19 #32450 by Valence
No, it starts automatically in Open mode. If you press Esc and go back to the menus it tells you the game mode in the bottom left corner. There's apparently a brief, easy-to-miss moment when you can switch but I've yet to get to that point. I think. Unless I've missed it. :P
I'm hoping it may be at the end of the first mission?
There are still some "safe" systems at the start but if I stray into a PvP area I'm gonna get torn apart.

I think the "contacts" are just the other ships/stations that appear on your radar which are then "lost" when they go out of range.
Maybe.
It could really do with some better tutorials to explain it a bit more.

26 Nov 2020 12:21 #32451 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Gaming

Still haven't started a proper mission though and I can't work out how to put the game in Solo mode. I'm stuck in Open mode and I really don't want to encounter other players with my current shoddy skills. :dry:

Quit the game, restart, then select continue. You get a load of different options come up, one of which is solo. I found it after I got disconnected last night.

26 Nov 2020 20:09 #32458 by Valence
Memo For Atto: There's a Steam Autumn Sale until December 1st including discounts on all the usual suspects. :stare:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atto

27 Nov 2020 22:08 #32469 by Valence
Elite Dangerous allowed me to select Solo mode when I continued last night. :)
And then I did that first mission... and got a bit lost again. But at least I wasn't spinning! :silly:

I also tried out that latest Epic thingy about delivering logs by driving big trucks through lots of mud. Or something like that. :blink:
Not sure I'll be going back for a second go. :dry: