April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Gaming

01 Dec 2020 12:31 #32525 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Gaming
I'm still patiently waiting for that moment when Elite Dangerous becomes "fun". :dry:
Last night I abandoned that deathly combat training mission and decided to just go ahead with a proper mission. Picked one of the data courier jobs so that I wouldn't have to worry about cargo space and then set off for the destination.
Supercruise.
Overshoot and turn around to supercruise back. :oops:
Overshoot again etc.

Finally I'm within range and then discover that I'm not going to be docking at a station, instead I have to try and land on a moon. :unsure:
Also it's night, everything is pitch black so I can't even see the moon I'm supposed to land on. I spin my way towards the target before everything changes into "orbital mode" and I'm falling at too steep a rate. :ohmy:
Better get on the thrusters. :aha:
I fly around for ages but never seem to get closer to my target even though it's supposed to be around here. Still can't see it cos everything's still dark. Maybe that means I'm too high up and that never-reducing distance is my height?
So I fly downwards and this seems to be working better, hopefully I'll get there soon and-

CRASH!
BOUNCE!

More crashing and bouncing.

And I'm still no closer to the landing pad. :dunno:

Oh wait. It's on the other side of the moon, isn't it? :eyeroll:
That's why I can't get any closer. I've been trying to fly straight down through the ground. :facepalm:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

01 Dec 2020 12:46 #32526 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Gaming
:blink: :D

I was thinking it might be wise to fly a bit closer to the nearest star/sun and see if you can see the moon from the lit side... But I shouldn't be saying anything, I still haven't gone back for seconds after the initial tutorial where I just could not get the target drone in my sights in spite of me being shot at continuously. "You are taking more damage than expected". :eyeroll: Oh yeah?

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

01 Dec 2020 14:13 #32527 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Gaming
Yep, being in orbit of a planet is kind of annoying. I've been too close to a couple of planets (one of which it turned out was my destination anyway), and it takes forever to travel anywhere and is a nightmare to try and get away from. I have also done mostly courier jobs so far, but I currently have a ship with 24 cargo slots which makes life easier.

01 Dec 2020 22:08 - 01 Dec 2020 22:08 #32528 by Valence

...and it takes forever to travel anywhere...

That's probably the worst thing about the game. There's a bit too much waiting around while the ship travels in an uneventful straight line to a distant destination.The old sequel, Frontier, had a time acceleration system which cut all that out but obviously you can't do that any more when you want the game to be multiplayer.

Anyway, this video has helped me to understand what I'm doing so I'll try and have another go later...

01 Dec 2020 22:21 #32529 by Charlotte
I'll have to remember to check that video if/when I return to the game.

No man's sky has the same issue of travelling taking a bit too long, even though you can speed it up with the pulse engine within the solar system and some sort of wormhole jump thing between systems. Those wormholes seem to go on forever sometimes.

But for now, I'm just waddling around building yet another medieval type village....

02 Dec 2020 14:22 #32531 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Gaming
Battlefield 3 is currently free if you have Amazon Prime, claim it through here: gaming.amazon.com/home (also requires an Origin account because everything requires another launcher these days).

06 Dec 2020 15:58 - 06 Dec 2020 15:59 #32570 by Valence
Haven't done much gaming for the past week or so. I think I've only managed a single hour (maybe less) on Life Is Strange as I slowly progress through episode four.
I really want to do that second quest of my long northern exploration in Skyrim to get that Horn Of Whoever-It-Is but the combination of time and tiredness keeps stopping me. :zzz:
Don't even have some cats to wake me up. :lol:

06 Dec 2020 16:56 #32571 by Charlotte
be glad. today one of them pooped in my bedroom. twice.

06 Dec 2020 18:00 #32573 by Valence
Makes me want to play Ark so I can pick up Phiomia poo again.

Put your cat poo collection on a medium crop plot and see if you can grow some Mejoberries. :lol:

06 Dec 2020 18:08 #32574 by Charlotte
:dry: :X