April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Gaming

07 Jul 2020 09:37 #30053 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Gaming
Congrats on the pretty tek :)

yup, compost bin and irrigation is for farming. You should get a medium planter and plant rockarrots or savoroots (fancy words for carrots and potatoes) - some animals prefer them over berries, and they give you more nourishment as well (but spoil fast). I found the irrigation system confusing, but like I said before I do have indoor drinking water which is nice, for the nights are dark and full of terrors... :dry:

Put poop and straw in the compost bin and you get fertiliser (which doesn't degrade in storage and lasts longer in the planter plot thingy) . oh but place it a bit away from your home - it smells and attract flies. (You might not want to hear the flies buzzing when you're trying to rest, or cook, or whatever you do indoors.)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

07 Jul 2020 14:43 #30061 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Gaming
I shall save my farming for later. :aha:
I may try and build a raft next (hide permitting.) Seeing as I just got another free bed from the supply drop it might be good to use it on a mobile base. Not sure I'll be building it up though. Not yet.
Do the big nasty fishies attack you when sailing?
I don't like the idea of losing my goodies at sea. :dry:

07 Jul 2020 15:33 #30062 by Charlotte
If you keep to shallow water you're safe from fishies.

I've been considering building a BIGGER raft, with a safe holding area for any tamed dinos to be brought back home... and a platform with trapdoors so I can shoot at things attacking the raft....

But I've not quite decided yet. Also I still haven't played since that last death by raptor.

07 Jul 2020 19:01 #30066 by Charlotte
Didn't feel like playing ARK so I loaded my save game from Banished. People were dying. Boring. So I decided to try Gothic 3... I did download that for a reason, right?

Well, after G forced me to cuddle and watch Netflix instead, I finally got a chance to try it. The initial loading with all the credits and stuff took forever. And then. You get thrown straight into a fight with orcs or something, and these nifty little boxes that tell you how to play the game doesn't pause it, so while you're trying to read, and understand what to do, the orcs kill you. And then you try to run, and they kill you. and then you try to circle back, grab a hold of some new weapons (because apparently every time they knock you down, you lose your weapons) and while yo're trying to equip the new weapons to fight back and read the red text on screen saying you're not strong enough for those weapons, the orcs kill you.

I gave up.

I think I feel like playing.... something without death in it, for a bit... :dry:

07 Jul 2020 19:43 #30067 by Valence
:hmm: Without death?
Chess? :lol:

Your planned big raft sounds like some kind of battleship!
But if you're also gonna put tamed dinos in it maybe it's an ark too. :P

07 Jul 2020 20:41 #30069 by Charlotte
an ark in ark :blink:

I ended up playing a zombie game, ironically. Zombie castaway, though, so no death. I've played it before and got rid of it, because it's so tiresome to have to wait for more tools... And that's where I'm at, now. You get quite a lot of tools right at the start but once you're out, you'll just keep waiting and waiting. As I've said before, I don't really get why people make games like that - or rather why I play them as it's obvious you're supposed to tire of waiting and spend real money on buying more... :dry:

07 Jul 2020 20:52 #30070 by Valence
Pay to win games are evil. :rage:
I remember that online golf game I played for a while. It was quite enjoyable until the "good" balls and clubs "ran out" and I was then unable to even reach the fairways without paying.

I think Black Desert also becomes money hungry towards the end but I stopped playing that for different reasons anyway. :P

08 Jul 2020 01:47 - 08 Jul 2020 01:50 #30071 by Valence
Built a raft. :pirate:
But those sailing controls are a little awkward. May take a while before I get my boating license. :lol:
And rafts are heavy, aren't they? I really should have crafted it near the water so I could just drop it in but I didn't :oops: and was then enormously over-encumbered. In order to move to the water I had to drop loads of stuff which led to me losing all of my uncooked meat! There goes the next few meals. :pout:

I was gonna put the bed on the raft but then I thought that if I decide to build on it later it would need foundations first and maybe that would destroy the bed. :hmm:
I don't know. I'll work it out later.
To test it out I sailed across to Cragg's Island and chipped away at those big stones to get a bit more metal.

After that I saw a blue supply drop on those rocks again. I don't think I've had a blue one before today so I switched my saddle to my new Para, Shyne, and rode off to grab the goodies. It was only blueprints for a compass and that weird Ghillie suit. :shrug:
As I returned home I saw a few of the local Dinos running around in a bit of a panic. I thought it was another pesky Dilophosaur so I rode on to take it out only to see that distant little dinosaur get bigger as I approached. Not a Dilo, it was a Raptor! :ohmy:
Great. I get myself a new ride and we're gonna die straight away. :eyeroll:

But no! We killed it! :cheer:

Well, I say "we" but I stayed on my ride and just directed the attack.
But it's still a few more hides for me and a bit of meat for tonight's supper. :)
Attachments:

08 Jul 2020 08:06 #30072 by Charlotte
:dry: The raft isn't THAT heavy! It's considerably lighter than the materials needed to build it. And the controls? I just use W and the mouse to aim where to go... Just like when I'm running.... only awkwardness is that it turns in a wide circle and if you aim too far back, it won't turn but keep going forward.
(I went for Cragg's Island too, but chickened out as I had to cross deep water at some point...)

Also, you could have left those uncooked meats on a campfire and let them be cooked while moving the raft to the water? Or were you so encumbered you couldn't even reach the fire? (I pretty much always toss my meat on the fire as soon as I can since it spoils fast - then again, spoiled meat is used for narcotics/tranqs, so...)

Oh did you get a "fridge" yet?

08 Jul 2020 11:36 #30076 by Valence
Due to the ridiculous amount of wood that was needed I ended up crafting it right next to my big storage cupboard. I then "discovered" that the raft weight was a whopping 85 and took me waaay over my carry weight. Couldn't move at all! :(
I then proceeded to transfer stuff back to my cupboard until it was completely full. Still couldn't move!

So then I was just dropping stuff on the floor. When I returned, some of the stuff was still there but the meat had gone. :dunno:
That sounds like a good idea to use the campfire as "meat storage" when it's not lit. :thumbup:
Wish I'd thought of that. :lol:

Still no fridge yet. Not even a preserving bin although I can craft that one now. The proper fridge is way above my current level of 30.