April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Gaming

02 Jul 2020 21:09 #30005 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Gaming
I didn't know about the H key. It also shows the temp when you open your inventory. anyway I don't bother much with the snowflake or the small fireball, as that seems to mostly mean "uncomfortable", but the cube/freezing and the fire/burning does actual damage to your health, so....

and I don't have a twittering machine so I can't receive twats. Did they give any explanation whatsoever?

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

02 Jul 2020 21:19 - 03 Jul 2020 01:48 #30006 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Gaming
I don't have a twittering machine either (or that other thing you mentioned :blush:) but a Reddit on my Redditing machine informed me of the Tweetering on their Twittering machine. :confident:

And they explained absolutely nothing. :lol:
The last time a freebie was pulled this late it was suggested that it would return later, so maybe it'll crop up again in a couple of weeks. :shrug:

EDIT:

Dirge laid an egg! And I mean a proper egg not a brown, smelly non-egg. :lol:

I found the waterfall round the corner but there were no buzzy bees or ants or anything. The Sarco had crossed to the other side of the water and was harassing everything it could find over there so I didn't get chance to test myself against it. I wanted to try a bit of hunting with the bow and arrow but my efforts were somewhat below par. The distant Dilophosaurs ran away before I could get near (are they scared of me now that I'm a higher level? :hmm:) and the Moschops I hit scarpered too quick for me to finish it off so I had to settle for a low-level Dodo from point-blank range. It wasn't a very satisfying kill and I felt a bit sad for it. :cry:
But it'll feed me until tomorrow. :shrug:
Attachments:

04 Jul 2020 01:16 - 04 Jul 2020 01:22 #30016 by Valence
So much hide!! :unsure:

Two Moschops, two Dodos and a Dilo died for that! (The Dilos can be hacked to death with pleasure but I do feel bad killing the others. :cry:) But it's crafted now and I started making some Ingots. I was gonna put it outside next to the stairs but it apparently has to be set on a floor/foundation so inside it goes. I was worried it might set fire to the thatch. I know it doesn't but it's still worrying to watch. :lol:

And while I was forging my Ingots I heard a strange commotion outside. I thought it was just the Triceratops wandering around and shaking the ground (stay away from my Sandy Shack! :stare:) but when I poked my head out of the door another of those pesky Dilos was attacking my Parasaur! :ohmy:
Quick, drop my overencumbered stone collection, grab the hatchet and get out before it's too late!

And I was too late, but thankfully my Parasaur did the good work before me...

Well done, Dirge. Gooood Dino. :)
Have some berries.

PS. Eagle-eyed viewers may notice the supply drop that just landed in the glare at the top on that raised rocky place across the water. I noticed it too and jumped on my Dino to ride over there. Had to kill another couple of pests on the way but carried on, turned that final corner and... it had gone. :eyeroll:
I'm realising that the one big downside of this location is that all the nearby supply drops are just too far away to be convenient. That's the fourth one I've missed out on since building my shack.
Attachments:

04 Jul 2020 09:15 - 04 Jul 2020 09:16 #30018 by Charlotte
I have the same issue with my location. There's one beacon drop place fairly close but it's up a steep mountain and by the time I've scrambled up it, the beacon i often gone.

EDIT: only now saw the egg! :woohoo:

05 Jul 2020 18:24 - 05 Jul 2020 18:26 #30035 by Charlotte
I'm reluctant to play ARK because of those raptors... so I've added mods to Banished instead. First, I added the MegaMod - which was 4.67 Gb or so! (The game itself is 170 Mb). But there were just too many options and too many duplicate things, so I removed it again and tried to find the bits I liked and get them separately. Unfortunately that means I lost the privies... :( But I do have flowers! :woohoo:

In also added a mod that makes people grow a year in a year. In order to not make you wait as long before babies grow up the poor people start working at 6 or 7... But growing your population this way still takes FOREVER. Luckily I also got a "miniMod" with miniature buildings, so I can have a pier for 1 fisherman instead of a larger building for 4, and the same for hunters, gatherers, herbalists, foresters and some other stuff. They're not really as efficient as the bigger versions, but easier to place as the terrain is rarely optimal for the larger buildings and their "circles of influence".

EDIT: Oh and I saw something about a game called Life is Feudal: Forest island. It's only 5 euro - on Steam :stare:. I have GOG and Epic, it's enough! Life is Feudal is also available as a FreetoPlay MMO, but that game requires loads more disc space. Looks pretty, though.

05 Jul 2020 20:22 - 05 Jul 2020 20:23 #30036 by Valence
You don't have Steam? :ohmy:

It's impossible to have too many launchers on your Desktop. :dry:
I think the Steam Summer Sale is still on for a few more days so there's probably a lot of games at that price. I just saw that Banished is a fiver there too.
I was tempted to spend my two remaining wallet coins on ... something. Anything! :lol:
But options are limited.

Haven't played anything over this weekend but I may try to complete that Witcher 3 quest just before bed. :)

05 Jul 2020 20:53 #30037 by Charlotte
wITCHER 3 IS (ooops sorry) on sale on GOG, too. I considered it, but... I really should start holding on to my money until I find a new job. I still need to spend big money on doors and an armchair, but they're within budget. :p

06 Jul 2020 11:35 - 06 Jul 2020 11:37 #30039 by Valence
I confronted the Crones again last night to complete that quest.

"Do you desire us, Witcher?"

Well, ladies, looking at your glamorous appearance, I really don't think I do! :lol:
I'm sure they all have lovely personalities. :dry:

I was expecting some more difficult monsters but I think I must have picked an "easier" dialogue option during the numerous cut scenes. It'll probably make something more difficult further into the story but I'll worry about that when I get to it.

After that I did some metalwork in Ark and got a shiny pick and an equally shiny axe!

Chipping away with them does produce a bit more metal (don't know which of the two is best for metal gathering. Will research more) but it also produces absurd amounts of flint. So much that I get over-encumbered in a matter of seconds. :blink:
But it'll be good for arrows!

And I seem to have completely cleared out the beach area around my shack to fuel all this crafting. When I arrived it was full of plants and life but now it's looking a little sad and desolate. All the trees have been cut down, rocks gone, Dodos dead, had to hack at the last Moschops for yet more hide (and it was a colourful one! :cry:)
All that's left there is a lonely Trike.
I'm officially destroying the environment. :(
Attachments:

06 Jul 2020 12:20 #30041 by Charlotte
you can set the respawn around structures to a shorter distance, though ;)
(Personally I tend to not harvest stuff too close to home but I have a sneaky feeling there used to be more trees further away, too... Hmm... I'll blame that on the brontos.)

As for metal, I think the pick axe is supposedly the best (the axe isn't listed at all as a metal harvesting tool, but what can you expect from a site that considers dinos tools and expendables :dry:)

07 Jul 2020 01:54 - 07 Jul 2020 01:58 #30052 by Valence
Spent some time chipping away with my pick (not my axe! My pick! :thumbup:) and collected about 30+bits of metal and used them to make spares of my axe and pick. :)
I travelled back a bit during the night to anticipate a couple of supply drops and managed to get ... some kind of irrigation/plumbing parts!?! :dunno:
Was a bit of a disappointment but I also picked up a compost bin (?) and another bed. At least the last one will come in useful. Are the others for farming? I'm not really ready for farming. :shrug:

With all that stocked up I made the journey back and on the way encountered a shiny, tek Parasaur! :excited:

I'm taming that! :woohoo:

I was a little bit against the Geforce clock with that final task but I managed to do it in time and got back to my Sandy Shack with five whole seconds to spare. :whistle:

And I have called my new Dino... Shyne. For obvious reasons. :lol:
When he catches the sunlight it's like being in Lens Flare City! :dry:
Attachments: