April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Gaming

30 Jun 2020 14:52 #29932 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Gaming
or fall of the edge of the world...

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

30 Jun 2020 18:15 #29934 by Charlotte
I now have a raft! :woohoo:
I immediately set off towards one of those lights on an island which of course disappeared the moment I put the raft in the water. And as everything else, you can't pick it up again, so when I recalled those weird glowy things on the other side of the peninsula, I had to go all around it.... Just as I suspected they were some sort of jellyfish. Only stationary, until I shot one of them. Then two of them swam away. The third ignored me.

and I saw some cool looking ray thingy! :woohoo:
But I'm much too afraid of nasties to dare jump into the water. I know some resources (and many caves) are down there but.... it's scary :S

30 Jun 2020 19:08 #29936 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Gaming
But now you can sail to Herbivore Island where it's not scary. :lol:

30 Jun 2020 19:27 - 30 Jun 2020 19:32 #29938 by Charlotte
well, unless I have to cross deep waters... Rafts are apparently best kept in the shallows. Also you can build on them and I googled images and .... many of them you can't even see the raft itself.... :dry:

EDIT: IT's also recommended as a movable first base while you look for a place to build your proper base... NOW they tell me :stare:

EDIT 2: I really wish the sound effect for eating custom food wasn't a combo slurp and diarrhoea sound...

30 Jun 2020 19:44 #29939 by Valence
I've seen people build movable bases on the back of big dinos! :blink:

Some people are just too imaginative. I'm still reading up on how to build ANYTHING so I'll probably play something else today until I have a building plan in my mind.
I'll just end up with a cube around a bed. :lol:

30 Jun 2020 20:38 - 30 Jun 2020 20:54 #29940 by Charlotte
Well... if you want a permanent base, you'll want room for the bed, storage, the cooking pot and mortar and pestle (which can be placed on a table), the forge and the smithy. Although they might be fine outdoors too... Edit: and the fridge, don't forget the fridge!

I made a small cottage (2 foundations) on my raft. I'll put in a bed and a storage box (that I got from a loot crate) and probably a fire... (well, the last might be outside). I killed some trilobites with my metal axe and got 79 chitin from the three of them! I got the engrams for making chitin armour but I can't see it in my crafting menu. Which is ironic since I can see everything else, even if I can't make it.... :dry:
EDIT2: It's made in the smithy (duh! It said so when I unlocked the engrams!)

Oh! and I just realised I MUST have a fishing rod for my raft! I tried shooting fish with bow and arrows but that just earned me one of those bird attacks...

EDIT3: I missed the place on the beach nearest to my house as I returned from my trilobite hunt. So I figured I'd make one of those small wooden signs to put on the beach.... But I seem to have misread (come to think of it, I haven't unlocked this engram... :dry: so I've done the impossible...)

Attachments:

30 Jun 2020 21:02 - 30 Jun 2020 21:06 #29941 by Charlotte
:omg:
and after all this, and placing the bed and storage in my little mobile beach hut, I try to turn the raft around and go for a tour and it immediately goes straight up the beach and gets stuck. :pout:

And no I wasn't steering towards the beach. Well, it might be fixable (according to the wiki). I sure hope so....

I closed and reopened the game and it came loose *phew*

30 Jun 2020 21:16 - 30 Jun 2020 21:19 #29942 by Valence
Wow, the raft looks really cool. Much better than I imagined it to be.

Now I want a raft!
Unless they all get stuck. Perhaps you need to build something like a pier or harbour. :hmm:

Edit:
*googles*
Yes, you can build a pier/dock. :)

30 Jun 2020 21:32 #29946 by Charlotte
Nighttime is kinda scary in this game. I didn't have time to get back home before dark, and I'm on a river so not too far from the shorelines and any predators.... so I'm crouching in my hut listening to the night sounds of animals attacking.... other animals (hopefully). Though I just realised that according to the wiki you don't get attacked while piloting the raft, so.... the safest place would actually be at the helm...

30 Jun 2020 21:47 - 30 Jun 2020 21:53 #29947 by Charlotte
I wasn't sure a dock or boathouse would be necessary, but after having been followed from the river in the middle of the night, right back to my "harbour" by one of those angry birds, I think it might be wise. The wiki DID say animals don't attack the person at the helm, but any structures, items or animals on the raft might be attacked. And that stupid bird is ruining my thatch roof :(