April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Gaming

16 Jul 2020 14:44 #30181 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Gaming
I was just gonna complain that it hadn't worked for me :pout:
BUT I just checked my email and I have that message too! :cheer:

I may try it out late tonight if I get the chance. The second one is supposedly a lot better than the first. I was a little reluctant to continue with the original after that PvP hacking minigame started to intrude on the singleplayer story, but it was still entertaining in a slightly repetitive way.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 Jul 2020 01:34 #30186 by Valence
Did some hacking in Watch Dogs 2! :thumbup:

Nice enough graphics, depth of field looks pretty, and the movement is a bit smoother than the first one (with none of that odd-looking flappy coat stuff either!)
And now that the prologue/tutorial is over, I can take selfies on my phone...

...and pet the dogs too! :excited:

Now... where can I buy those pants? :hmm:
Attachments:

17 Jul 2020 09:20 #30190 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Gaming
Looking good :P
Uhm you mean you want those pants in real life, or do you want the same pants the lady's wearing? :hmm:

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

17 Jul 2020 09:46 #30191 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Gaming
That dogs collar just scanned all your phone and credit card info and has emptied your bank account. :confident:

17 Jul 2020 11:09 #30193 by Charlotte
:dry:
meanwhile I'm trying out a western game where walking to town takes.... 30 minutes. Literally.
So I'm playing some other games too, just to have something to do while I'm out there walking....
(You can run in seconds....if you have energy. Energy runs out very fast.)

17 Jul 2020 11:48 #30194 by Valence

Looking good :P
Uhm you mean you want those pants in real life, or do you want the same pants the lady's wearing? :hmm:

The little questy instruction at the top is telling me to buy pants but I don't yet know what options will be available. :)

I have to find my way to a shop first. I've installed the maps app on my phone but I haven't yet worked out where I am on that map so I'll just pick a direction and walk to see what I can find. :lol:

Which western game is that?
Sounds a bit like Morrowind and the slow-walk-stamina thing.

17 Jul 2020 11:55 - 17 Jul 2020 11:57 #30195 by Charlotte
It's called Westland survival but it's not one of those cool adventure games exactly. The 30 minute walks are a dotted line on a static map showing your ranch, the nearby town and some other places of interest. And speaking of clothing shops, I really think the town could do with one. I keep having to wear stuff I've nicked from people I've killed. And things wear out very fast, from clothes to guns! (And yes, the guns and rifles have also been nicked, mostly. Or found. Finders keepers.)

(Edit: You can speed things up by watching ads... Usually the same ad, which I suspect isn't showing the actual game play at all - as with most game ads, it seems...)

17 Jul 2020 19:40 #30196 by Valence
Just spent a long, long time trying to open a secret door in Skyrim.
There was no handle or lock on it. I couldn't find any kind of lever or switch but I knew it had to open cos there was a special shield behind it that I was supposed to grab. :hmm:

After much searching around the room, even using my Magelight spell to try and find clues in the dark corners, I eventually discovered a little podium with a pressure plate. I obviously have to put something on it, in that Indiana Jones fashion, to open up the door.
A book, maybe?
*places book*
Nope. Need something heavier.
That big metal mask that I rarely wear?
Nope.

What's the heaviest thing I'm carrying?
*checks inventory*
My armour. So, time to strip off.
I carefully and nakedly place my armour on the plate... and nothing. Need more weight! :shakefist:
So I now try and balance my steel helmet on top of the armour on top of the plate.... No response.

Right then, now I put the metal mask balanced on top of the helmet balanced on top of the armour balanced on top of the pressure plate. I feel like I'm playing Buck-A-Roo, or Jenga, or some other frustrating balancey thing! I hope the game physics will just let me keep balancing... And no, it doesn't. :rage:

OK, what's heavier than Armour+Helmet+Mask etc? :hmm:
:idea:
Dead bodies! :evil:

So now I spend far too long trying to haul a dead Forsworn guy and a Hagraven corpse up onto the podium but after much body shoving I just can't get them onto it. It's too high. :(

I just need one easy-to-place, heavy thing that'll push down with enough force!
And then I realised... Force! Unrelenting Force. My special magic shout. Of course. :facepalm:

So I got dressed again, removed the bodies and faced the pressure plate to give it a "Fus Ro DAAAH!"

And the door opens! :woohoo:

Quest shield acquired. :thumbup:

17 Jul 2020 21:49 #30198 by Charlotte
:dry: a pressure plate that doesn't require an actual item on it? Cheating.

I'm still playing westwhatsit, though I'm starting to wonder why. The quests are of the variety:
"Go to town to talk to person A"
*Goes to town, spending 25 energy to get there*
*Person A says you need to return to your ranch as soon as possible*
*Returns to ranch, spending another 25 energy (and watching an ad to get enough for the trip)*
*The moment you enter your ranch the quest updates and happily announces that you should go talk to the sheriff*
The sheriff is in the town you just left. :stare:

And my clothes are wearing out so much faster than I can nick new ones. I keep running around in what passes for underwear in the old west. (Which is fairly all-covering, at least. And thankfully they don't include that "hatch in the back thing"...)

21 Jul 2020 02:08 - 21 Jul 2020 02:10 #30241 by Valence
Haven't been able to play Ark for ages due to time, tiredness and more, but I got back into some Dino action today. :cheer:

During my previous play I did reach the Red Obelisk but ended up running away after an encounter with four angry things. Maybe Raptors, maybe Dilos, couldn't really tell as I fled like a coward and I wasn't looking back. It wasn't really a good place to try and fight as I was trapped on a ledge and would probably have fallen in the water where even more predators lurked.
But back to today. Instead of returning to the Obelisk I decided to try out some boating on my raft. I wanted to sail back to the initial spawn point to loot out my boxes there and chip away at those rocks to hopefully get some metal.
First of all my raft got attacked by a big sharky thing so I quickly veered back to shallower waters and sailed nearer the coast, then as I approached the spawn point area I saw two large things stalking around and attacking all the friendly/passive creatures. :ohmy:
Carnos! :argh:

Feeling brave (or foolish) I sailed close and fired some arrows from my raft which then made one of them chase me through the water. I managed to keep ahead of it on the raft, occasionally letting go to fire more arrows and eventually killed it!
After swimming to gather the precious hides I then felt braver still and went back for the other one! :evil:
Using a similar method I fired an arrow from the safety of the raft... and my bow broke. :(
Annoyingly that last arrow was accurate so the angry Carno started to chase me while I had nothing to shoot back. :S
So I just fled again. But I was still feeling brave, so I made another bow and went back AGAIN!
This time it was too far inland to shoot from the water so I put the raft on the shore and went to fire another arrow with the plan of running back to the raft, setting sail and shooting from a distance again but those Carnotaurs are a bit too quick and I ended up in an axe fight on the beach before I could even get to the raft.
But I won! :pirate:

Barely. :dry:
My health was down to... just two.
No more fighting for a while, methinks. Must heal.
Attachments: