April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Gaming

01 Jul 2020 11:52 #29963 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Gaming
Well phooey... Building a "dock" or boathouse/shelter was easier said than done... I wanted a roof over, to keep the raft out of sight of the angry birds, but I can't make more than 2 pieces of roof without support, so.... there goes that, unless I can manage to use those fence foundation thingies...

I also have a fishing rod and a chair, and it says it needs "generic resource" as bait which tells me nada but obviously it's not meat or berries. So I looked at the wiki and it's tree sap (from a specific tree and you have to place the sap tap really high so you need ladders or something too), leech blood (ew, and from the swamp) or honey. I have an idea of where Banj found his honey but it's also near those darn pesky flying soldier ants....

Guess I'll just go back to chopping wood. I keep running out of that, somehow... :dry:

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

01 Jul 2020 12:07 #29965 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Gaming

I have an idea of where Banj found his honey but it's also near those darn pesky flying soldier ants....

The flying death ants are north (maybe NE when I encountered them) of where the hive with honey was. I said don't go that way :shakefist:

01 Jul 2020 12:28 #29966 by Charlotte
oh, right... :dumb:

01 Jul 2020 14:12 #29968 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Gaming
Yes, I'm getting confused about the structural support thing while watching videos. When do you need to use pillars and when to just use walls? And why do people put thatch things around their house foundation, build on it then destroy it? :dunno:
It's all very confusing and I'm not sure it'll become clearer when I actually try it. :lol:

Meanwhile Geralt died a lot last night...
"Begone..." :dead:
"Begone. Come no closer..." :dead:
"Begone..." :dead:

At one point I came very close to killing a baddie and fell backwards off a ledge. When I climbed all the way back up it had healed itself! :rage:
Anyway it's dead now and after speaking with the creepy voice I'm now having to ride around on a different horse.
Whoa there, not-Roach.

01 Jul 2020 16:01 - 01 Jul 2020 16:07 #29969 by Charlotte
I think the thatch things are used to put the things you want in the position you want them.... meanwhile my own tries are not going too well... I now have a piece of wood that was no help whatsoever, hanging from my ceiling too high up for me to reach it and remove it... And I too am trying out thatch foundations though mine won't be removed: apparently if you have foundations in place your roof can cover that area without actually being attached to the foundation below. I'm not entirely convinced yet, but I managed to place a foundation deep enough under water so as to not give the dock a floor and keep the raft out... :dry:

EDIT: well, it worked at the very furthest point... then the foundations were obstructed by the ocean floor... I think I'll try checking the box that allows buildings to clip into terrain....

01 Jul 2020 16:30 #29970 by Charlotte
I can also report that Mr Invincible wasn't quite as invincible as he thought. Apparently he attacked a Brontosaurus that came too close, and got himself killed. :dry:

01 Jul 2020 23:04 #29974 by Charlotte
I had a bit more excitement than I could handle, while out rafting. Well, I'd left the raft actually. Anyway I was nearly killed by the combination of hot weather, some birdlike dino (might have been an archaeopteryx if the game version is much larger than the real life one...) and a dossier placed so that the only way back was down... But I did survive the fall, decided to pack up and head home.... and then all the carrying stuff from raft storage to home storage took so long that I almost forgot about the whole ordeal.

I've probably OD'ed on ARK today. And when it closed and the Epic launcher opened the store window as usual, I figured I'd check if the Conan freebie was available as it IS July 2nd where I'm at. But it seemed to have vanished entirely.... :dry: Maybe just as well. It's an even bigger download than ARK.

02 Jul 2020 02:15 - 02 Jul 2020 02:17 #29975 by Valence
The Epic Freebies usually unlock late on Thursday afternoon for me. And that's my timezone before the rest of the world disagrees. :P

Anyway after much deforestation I finally built a structure....

...and with all that rain I'd better get inside! :)

It was hard work and the wood chopping/crafting was ever so slow, which is why I switched to thatch for the top half. Not quite sure how secure that will be. :unsure:
First of all I ended up crafting the wrong kind of thatch roof (flat ceiling not sloping stuff :eyeroll:) then I accidentally put one of them on the outside of the wall and, when I demolished it, it fell down and ruined the wall and foundation below! :shakefist:
Also in the midst of my endless chopping I must have intruded on the Triceratops nest because the whole family started attacking me! I hadn't put the bed down yet so I was desperate not to die! I had to jump on Dirge, run away and let them cool off before coming back.

Further to the west, while roaming for yet more wood, I saw a Sarcosuchus in the distance, which made my heart sink a bit, but it thankfully stayed well away for now. On the plus side I did see my first Stego! :excited:

I now need to see if I can get the resources for the forge. I'm not quite sure if I'll be able to use it yet anyway because the metal is still pretty sparse. I get the odd bit from the big rocks but it's really not enough for crafting the good stuff. :shrug:
Attachments:

02 Jul 2020 08:30 #29976 by Charlotte

when I demolished it, it fell down and ruined the wall and foundation below! :shakefist:

:ohmy: I didn't even know that could happen!

As for metal, as I tried to gather some yesterday... Apparently it's mostly in golden coloured rocks on top of mountains and in caves.... but river rocks are supposedly better than the common rock piles. River rocks are the rounded grey stones that you uh... find by the river. And in the river. Watch out for piranhas...

Anyway I was chopping away until my metal pick nearly broke and came home with.... 35 bits of metal...

Gathering resources with a raft is so much easier than on foot, though. (But I guess it's similar to having a mount - depending on how much the mount can carry... I managed to squeeze a big storage box into my raft hut...) I have tons of wood for now, though if I finish that dock of mine I guess I soon won't have. Meanwhile the raft is currently on the other side of the peninsula :dry:

02 Jul 2020 11:57 #29990 by Valence

:ohmy: I didn't even know that could happen!

I may have done something wrong to cause that. :dumb:

And I didn't use any pillars at all (couldn't find them in the engrams) so maybe that was an issue. :dunno:
I'm just glad it didn't fall on my bed and destroy that too. :)

Can't believe how much wood was needed. (80 for a foundation?!) If I'd stuck with wood walls for all of it I'd probably still be cutting down trees now. I don't know how those people in the tutorial videos get (or carry!) the resources for those massive epic castles. They must cheat with console commands. :lol: